• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

I bought some recently in Victoria. The brand is AGOSTINO RECCA from Italy. (www.agostinorecca.com) A 239 gr. jar little boquerones in vegetable oil, vineger and salt.

I'm sure you should be able to get them through one of your Italian food purveyors.

I saw them recently on a restaurant menu in Olympia, Washington, served on wonderful bread with good olive oil and coarse salt. Oh, so good.

Shelora

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know a place in Van. that sells grits - regular corn and/or hominy?

Attempted edit to correct spelling 'ingredient' but it seems once it's in the title, it's there forever....

Edited by HKDave (log)

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Yes..... you can buy "Grits" at both Choices and Capers. I do believe the brand I bought was Bob's Mills. Hang on let me check.....

Okay the package says: Bob's Red Mill Organic Corn Grits also known as Polenta.

Perhaps this is not what you are looking for.

What do you want to do with them if I may ask?

edited to say..... I haven't seen hominy available but I would hazzard a guess that perhaps you could buy it at Que Pasa in Richmond.

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Thanks for the suggestions. Hmmm, if corn grits are indeed the same as polenta (which makes sense, now that I think about it), then corn grits will be easier than I thought.

What am I going to make with them? Cheese grits for a homesick Southern friend is the first thing that springs to mind. But they're pretty good on their own as breakfast mush.

Hominy grits might be more difficult. I checked Que Pasa's website and they don't list hominy grits, and besides, Richmond might as well be Mars to a non-driver like me. I have received two other suggestions: Los Dos Amigos Market 1371 E 41st, and Los Gierreros Mex. Foods 3317 Kingsway. Anyone know anything about either?

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Have you considered mail-ordering grits, serious grits?

I have, but ordering food across the border is often problematic (unless you know a Canadian mail order source?). Plus many US companies won't export, because of the previous problem.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

I just looked at one of the links in the previous note and it does list Bob's Red Mill as a source of Grits so I think they would work for your purposes. Let us know how things turn out :smile:

Oops.... I've made a boo boo.... so you won't see my previous post. However, upon googling grits and polenta and the difference as such, I came up with an answer that you can probably find on your own by doing the same thing.

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Afraid I don't know a Canadian supplier. I was going to recommend the heirloom grits from Anson Mills, since I have cooked them several times recently and they are far and away the best I have ever eaten. Ever. You would have to email them to find out if they could ship to you. Here's a thread that may interest you on Anson Mills grits, spun off a New York Times article on Glenn Roberts and his heirloom grits, polenta and other corn meal products.

The Bob's grits are not real grits. I know, cos I went through just this exact search in Ontario! :rolleyes: I finally found grits -- real, white-corn hominy grits -- in a South American groceteria in Kensington Market in Toronto. And I came across more in a random supermarket that clearly caters to a lot of different ethnic niche markets (they also had a wide array of, for instance, cool Caribbean hot sauces and canned goods).

Not that that helps you any in a concrete way -- but they may be (must be, surely!) somewhere in Vancouver if you dig deep.

I've had my curiousity button tweeked...and now need to experience it for myself...MOCHI. Where might I find it in Vancouver? A restaurant? A grocer? Also, does any one know where I might purchase PANDAN? I've checked several grocers in China town to no avail.

Thanks in advance,

D.

This is probably too late too..but here it goes anyway... I bought Meyer Lemons last week at the SouthSeas shop in the Public Market on Granville island. I paid 2$ for each one(...a little hefty....but there's a meyer lemon/vanilla bean marmalade in last month's Bon Apetit that I've been dying to try) Then yesterday, I saw them in Urban Fare at a considerably lower price. I don't remember how much per pound they were except they weren't $12 or I wouldn't have bothered. I bought one just to see....and it was a mere 60 cents....perhaps this lemon has been hanging around longer than the ones I bought from South Seas. I don't know. Anyway, there you have it ....in case you're in the mood for more granita!!!

If it is pandan leaves you are refering to, they regularly sell them at the South Seas Trading Company in Granville Island. I use them for Indonesian style rice and curry dishes. They also make a great garnish since you can tie them in neat bows and things like that.

For mochi, try the Japanse place on Venables and Clark. I have never bought it myself but if any place has it, this would be the one.

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

This is probably too late too..but here it goes anyway... I bought Meyer Lemons last week at the SouthSeas shop in the Public Market on Granville island. I paid 2$ for each one(...a little hefty....but there's a meyer lemon/vanilla bean marmalade in last month's Bon Apetit that I've been dying to try) Then yesterday, I saw them in Urban Fare at a considerably lower price. I don't remember how much per pound they were except they weren't $12 or I wouldn't have bothered. I bought one just to see....and it was a mere 60 cents....perhaps this lemon has been hanging around longer than the ones I bought from South Seas. I don't know. Anyway, there you have it ....in case you're in the mood for more granita!!!

I suspect everything at South China Seas can be found for much cheaper somewhere in the city. I only shop there because its easy, but i quinge everytime I get to the cash register.

edited because I have typing issues

Edited by Kayaksoup (log)

< Linda >

Success!!

I ended up at boring old Safeway, as Trader Joe's, while having many lovely items did not (in the Capitol Hill location) have any corn meal of any description (which I found really weird!).

So I ended up with three small boxes (3 and 3/4 lb--I don't know why that much, particularly, I wasn't sure how much you wanted!) of Albers' "Enriched Hominy Quick Grits" which from the picture look about as they should. I was unsure about the "quick" part, but they're not "instant" which was the only other type available, so if they don't suit your bill, I'll eat 'em!

The box has recipes for grits, fried grits, Cheese Grits Casserole and a Grits and Sausage Bake...

Tonight I have a date :blush: so can you wait for them till tomorrow? I'll be bouncing around, running some errands, and I can meet you somewhere maybe?

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies