• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

The Urban fare often has them at their cheese counter. I have bought them in the past, once good, once nasty. They claim they are from France but I would doubt it, likely Chineese. Your safest bet is to travel down to Seattle and try DeLaurenti's.

I have yet to acquire a truffle that has half the flavour of the white truffle oil one can buy at the Gourmet Warehouse. Knowing what I know (from reading) about the clandestine nature of the truffle industry it seems that anything we could acquire here in Vancouver at the retail level would be far down the quality ladder.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Is Sosio's the place about in the middle of the market with really nice but expensive produce? I bought a Chineese truffle there if thats the place. It was good quality. He also said he occaisionally gets Oregon truffles.

Correct. Interestingly, they have usually steered me to the black over the white truffles. They are not close in flavour compared to their European counterpart. :hmmm:

Mark E

• 4 weeks later...

Me, I'm a lazy assed bastard, I buy my duck fat at Oyama on Granville Island. I confit everything from pheasant to garlic in it.

I also smother my chickens in the stuff before I roast them. Duck fat, an essential food item.

Everyone have a happy new year.

PS. Sometimes they don't have it out so you need to ask for it.

Edited by "T" (log)

slowfood/slowwine

Great. There goes my "Secret" place for duck fat. :biggrin:

And by the way, they also sell goose fat if you should so choose. I am beginning to believe that Oyama translates into Nirvana. A one stop shop for so many goodies!

"Expect nothing, be prepared for anything."

"un incontournable", indeed.

I'm actually happy to see how busy Oyama is, and how hectic it's been during the holiday season. Same is true for "les amis" and other quality food shops around town. More people seem to appreciate good food, food that taste what it is, food that involves technique, knowledge, passion, craftsmanship.

Let's hope Vancouver and VI keep going in that direction, because the potential here on BC's west coast is phenomenal.

So what do we need ? Another Oyama location of course ! Come on guys, and more bakeries, actual fish shops without frozen crap, butchers that offer something different than tenderloin and 10000 varieties of BBQ sauce, and of course... more and more good restaurants, and a few very very good ones, that would blow away Feenie's and West. 'Cause alright, they're good, but they ain't

michelin-starred quality yet (OK, we'll argue for 1*).

Eddy M., Chef & Owner

Se.ed Artisan Foods, Vancouver BC

Follow Se.ed's growth at: http://spaces.msn.com/members/fromseedtofood/

Check out Hills Foods, you can get nice tubs of it and keep it in the freezer until you need it .

Hills Foods Ltd.

Unit 1-130 Glacier Street

Coquitlam, British Columbia

Canada V3K 5Z6

Phone: (604) 472-1500 / Fax: (604) 472-1501

E-Mail: sales@hillsfoods.com

They have a $100.00 minimum cash and carry policy.

They supply game and other items to a lot of restaurants in the lower mainland.

They have frozen goose legs that are great for confit. And whole lobes of foie gras are available too.

If it's slower than me.

Dumber than me.

And tastes good.

Pass the salt.

Anthony Bourdain

• 4 months later...

First of all, excuse my ignorance, what exactly is truffle oil? I saw some truffle oil with an olive oil base. I thought truffle oil was simply that, oil from truffles. Is this just a flavored oil then?

Secondly, where in the Lower Mainland can I find a good-price excellent quality truffle oil? What consitutes a good quality truffle oil?

Thirdly, I had some risotto at Trafalgar with truffle oil and thought it was delicious. I thought of sprinkling this on mashed potatoes, steak, rice, noodles, etc. What should be the proper way of using this to get the best flavour out of the truffle oil?

Thanks for your expert advice.

By far the best place in Vancouver for truffle oil is the Gourmet Warehouse. Find the Italian product called uhm...Rustica... It is indeed olive oil flavoured with truffle essence.

May I suggest cooking a pizza dough with nothing on it but a little olive oil, then when cooked and still hot slice it open like a bun, smear with goat cheese and truffle oil, return it to the oven for about another 5 minutes, drizzle top with olive oil, slice and eat. Drink a decent Chianti Classic or Jumilla with it.

Use it sparingly and never cook it or it will loose it's flavour. There is some debate about storage. I keep mine in the refrigerator and take it out before using so it will loosen up. i believe it will go rancid after opening if you leave it on the counter for a month or so.

Edited by Coop (log)

David Cooper

Thanks for the advice on refrigeration. Since I have no experience or knowledge about truffles, I will cough up the few dollars for a small bottle and try it. I will have to check out Gourmet Warehouse and Urban Fare. I saw some at Cioffi's in Burnaby. Granted, a lot of truffle oils may be a sham so I'll have to trust the experience of eGulleteers.

BTW, I checked out Cioffi's due to several positive comments from this site and I am impressed. It is comparable to Bosa Ent. on Victoria and Frances but Cioffi's have a bigger FRESH deli section and very friendly staff, so unlike Santa Barbara on Commercial Drive (so overrated!)

:smile:

I love Cioffi's but find their sausage to be mediocre. Santa Barbra has much better sausage and a pretty good selection of veg and bread. But what a dump! Cioffi's on the other hand is spotless. A Bosa is kind of smelly, but has a great selection. You have to take the best from each.

David Cooper

I love Bosas and Santa Barbara, i think the messiness sometimes make the shopping a little more adventurous and I find the people at Bosas super friendly and helpful, plus there is butcher next door, who will wrap a sweet piece of fat and a few sprigs of fresh rosemary around a roast. What service!!!... plus I am a East sider and gotta support these delis

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

• 2 months later...

While Happy Valley looks like a good bet, you're almost certain to find the dried flowers at herbalists and other stores that carry herb tea ingredients in bulk. Here in Montreal, my neighbourhood "health food" store stocks them. Just make sure you're getting a variety intended for making tea, not potpourris.

Some gourmet stores sell a cotton sack of 'Herbes de Provence', for about $5, which contains about 20% lavender. This is strong enough for most cooking/baking purposes, as the lavender portion is potent. I find it useful to keep a sack onhand, especially during winter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi there,

Conducting tasting survey of blood sausage. So far I have, English, Scottish, German (two types) and Polish with buckwheat. But no French boudin noir. None available on the island.

Anyone know of where I could possibly get some shipped to me from Vancouver? It would be great if it was also made in Vancouver, but as long as it is something that can easily be obtained, I'm open. Flavour important too.

Thanks,

Shelora