• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

I've been generally happy with the items from Galloways, in Richmond. Also, if you have a grocery store with moderate volume nearby, the herbs and spices in the bulk section may be suitable for many purposes.

Karen Dar Woon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Where can I find a wide selection of flavoured syrups, like Torani brand? I'm looking specifically for orgeat.

I'm aware that the Bay has a small selection of the basic flavours, like caramel and vanilla. Starbucks has their own stuff, but not orgeat. Galloway's and Whole Foods both don't carry them. And I think Canterbury Coffee only wholesales them, so I won't be able to buy it directly from them. Haven't tried Meinhardt or Gourmet Warehouse yet, though. I want to use orgeat for mixing drinks.

Any suggestions appreciated - thanks!

where do i find garlic aioli in Vancouver my old source has dried up

Vandan, if you haven't found it already, you could try Finest at Sea on Arbutus and 33rd-ish (in the stripmall). I thought I saw some in their refrigerator. Although you could probably just make garlic aioli yourself in 5 minutes. Hellmans mayo + mashed-up garlic, thinned out with a little evoo and lemon juice is a pretty quick & dirty way of doing it. :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Making Stollen.Looking for Fresh Yeast on the Drive or close. Asked some of bakeries like Fratelli and they said they don't use it.

Any thoughts?

If it's slower than me.

Dumber than me.

And tastes good.

Pass the salt.

Anthony Bourdain

Making Stollen.Looking for Fresh Yeast on the Drive or close. Asked some of bakeries like Fratelli and they said they don't use it.

Any thoughts?

I got mine from the bakery counter at Capers (they'll just cut a chunk off of their supply and sell it to you) - a big block is about $5.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know where I can get Penzeys spice besides ordering online? I don't like giving out personal info on the net. I live in Vancouver BC.

I am particularly looking for Vietnamese Extra Fancy Cinnamon.

I have someone looking at retailers in San Francisco. Don't know if they sell in shops.

If I cannot get it through retailers then I may do the onine ordering. Can you tell me of your experience with ordering from Penzeys? Is there duty on ordering spice from the USA?

Thanks.

I've found pearl sugar at the Gourmet Warehouse.

As far as Penzey's, I'm pretty sure I paid duty, it might have just been GST. (plus Canada Post's service charge) I don't think Penzey's is carried at reatilers as such, but they do have their own stores.

The Belgians take their sugar for waffles very seriously. Don't know about Lebeau, but I know ther's a Belgian waffle maker in Steveston(Richmond) that specializes only in waffles, usually has the special sugar kicking around....

on Chatham St., just west of No. 1 Road.

Karen Dar Woon

• 2 weeks later...

Galloway's in Richmond has pearl sugar. They ran out of the Belgian brand when I was there a couple weeks ago, but I bought a big huge box of Danish pearl sugar for around $6.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know where to buy real acai juice in Vancouver, preferably kits or downtown area? No, I'm not jumping on the "LOSE WEIGHT ON ACAI!!!1!!" bandwagon. I've heard that it's high in antioxidants and has a nice tart flavour, so I thought I'd get some to try in my morning smoothie. I've also read that what you really want to get the health benefits is pasteurized juice that is thick with pulp. Every bottle I've been able to find, however, even though the main label just proclaims "acai juice – 100% juice!" is actually blends where the prominent ingredient is apple juice (tricky tricky marketers).

Any ideas?

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

• 2 months later...

does anyone have experience in buying whole untrimmed rib eye of beef or whole strip loins?

I'm looking for one that is around 10 pounds or so, and wondering what would be the average price and best place to get it.

costco seems to be a tad high in price ... 15.39 per Kg ... I was expecting a much lower price.

Anyone know where to get Indonesian ingredients aside from Hen Long Market in Surrey, T&T's or South China Seas at Granville Island? I'm specifically looking for dried asam gelugor and cannot find it anywhere which I find surprising in the Lower Mainland. Thanks in advance!

does anyone have experience in buying whole untrimmed rib eye of beef or whole strip loins?

I'm looking for one that is around 10 pounds or so, and wondering what would be the average price and best place to get it.

costco seems to be a tad high in price ... 15.39 per Kg ... I was expecting a much lower price.

Try Beefway Meats on Kingsway near Slocan. Windsor Meats is another option though perhaps not quite as budget conscious as Beefway.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

T&T always always has whole cryovac'd ribeye, striploin, and tenderloin on sale for peanuts, but the insanely low prices reflect low quality... not even AA. Whether that matters depends on what you're doing with it, I suppose.

thx mooshmouse, I'll definitely check out beefway meats.

Ya Nick I've seen T&T's whole cryovac'd ribeyes, and its true the quality is pretty appalling. I am looking for at least a AAA and hopefully prime grade beef.

I just didn't understand why costco was selling their untrimmed AAA whole ribeyes at $15 per Kg, that is like $34 per pound! most butchers sell their AAA cut, preped and portioned rib steaks for only 20 bucks a pound. how can an unpreped product of the same grade be so much more expensive? i was hoping to save money to cut my own steaks and perhaps age it myself. costco's price is pretty crazy high.

• 2 months later...

I've just purchased a whole lamb direct from the farmer (all butchered the way I wanted). Works out at $6/lb for all cuts. That's rack and legs at $6/lb as well as mince. Stunning price.

Next I'm going to purchase a 1/4 or 1/2 a cow. I hope to achieve simialr savings.

I believe buying direct from the producer in bulk is the best of all worlds. You build a relationship with the farmer; the middle person is cut out of the deal; it supports local food production; and you can achiebve unbeatable prices. Win win I say.