• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

Where can I get a tub of duck fat? Anywhere that sells fresh duck?

If you have somewhere specific in North Burnaby that would be great!

Thanks!

Don't know about N. Burnaby (Cioffi's maybe?) but Oyama in Granville Island routinely has duck fat available.

I would give the big Bosa Foods a call to see if they have it. I think I may have seen it there in the coolers in the back.

fmed

de gustibus non est disputandum

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Where can I find vanilla beans in bulk? Not sure like the one or two you get for $6 or so at Safeway....Would like to get a dozen or more...

thanks....

Sorry this reply is way late but if you're still looking, ebay.ca is the best place to get vanilla beans. Search "organic vanilla beans" and you'll come up with a number of options. You have to buy at least 1/4 lb but they usually end up costing about $0.50 each instead of $7.00 for 2.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I think I spotted vanilla beans at Costco last time I was there - biggish pack. Don't remember how much though.

I saw them on sale yesterday at T&T. Tofu Shirataki at $1.99/bag.

fmed

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
How about Hershey's Kisses and Hugs....need about 1000 pieces total for our wedding favours...

The best deal I could find was Wal-Mart.. $2.96/227grams (about 50pcs)..About $0.06 a piece....

Thanks!

Doesn't Costco carry Hershey's Kisses? I don't think I've seen Hugs, though.

How about Hershey's Kisses and Hugs....need about 1000 pieces total for our wedding favours...

The best deal I could find was Wal-Mart.. $2.96/227grams (about 50pcs)..About $0.06 a piece....

Thanks!

Doesn't Costco carry Hershey's Kisses? I don't think I've seen Hugs, though.

I thought Costco, but couldn't find any at the one here in Burnaby...

I thought Costco, but couldn't find any at the one here in Burnaby...

It's farther than your immediate area, but you could try the one in Bellingham (call first, of course). I know for certain they sell Kisses at the Costco stores in Japan, and most of our stock comes from the US.

sometimes Save-On Foods also has Hugs & Kisses, although I haven't had to look, lately. SOF will give prices over the phone, though. Sometimes Costco won't.

Thanks Karen. I will check SOV to see if it's any good. I checked at Price-Mart in the bulk section and it was still way cheaper at Wallyworld..

• 2 weeks later...

Back to hugs and kisses. . .

In Winnipeg there's a liquidator candy store called Leader General Jobbers. They've got hugs for $1.50/227g, kisses for the same price, and also kisses in a 900-ish gram bag for about $4.

If you look up "liquidators" or "jobbers" in your yellow pages, you may find a similar candy store in your area.

Anyone know anywhere in Vancouver or Richmond that sells cilantro / coriander WITH THE ROOTS ATTACHED! Everywhere I look these days the roots have been removed, and how can I make good Tom Yum without cilantro roots?

Anyone know anywhere in Vancouver or Richmond that sells cilantro / coriander WITH THE ROOTS ATTACHED! Everywhere I look these days the roots have been removed, and how can I make good Tom Yum without cilantro roots?

Check a Vietnamese grocer like Supermarket88 on Victoria Dr at 33rd or Asian Way at Renfrew and 1st (second level above T&T). I have purchased cilantro with root at both places in the past.

fmed

This time of year there's lots of local stuff so they can have the roots attached (just not ones coming across the border).

South China Seas at Granville Island and on Victoria usually carries the root on cilantro whenever it's available.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know good sources for good-quality spices and herbs in Vancouver? I just moved out to my own place and I'm looking for basic pantry things like sea salt, peppercorns, dried thyme/oregano/basil, nutmeg, etc. Don't really want to shell out for ultra-premium, just a cut above the supermarket brands.

Anyone know good sources for good-quality spices and herbs in Vancouver? I just moved out to my own place and I'm looking for basic pantry things like sea salt, peppercorns, dried thyme/oregano/basil, nutmeg, etc. Don't really want to shell out for ultra-premium, just a cut above the supermarket brands.

http://natureschoice.ca/ I find these pretty good. They are often located in produce stores but I'm sure you could contact them to find a source near where you live.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

South China Seas Trading on Granville Island or Victoria Dr is my usual spot (I live very close to the Victoria Dr location).

fmed