• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

Where can I find some goat...not a whole one...just need a couple pounds..

Anywhere out Burnaby/Vancouer way?

Great Canadian Superstore often has frozen goat meat. I've never bought it [yet] so can't vouch for quality.

I bought some really nice goat meat a while back - last year or possibly even the year before. I'm fuzzy on where it was - Tenderland in Granville Island perhaps. Give them a call and see if/when they have some around.

There used to be a Halal Meat Market on Commercial that sold goat but it's gone now. I think Halal means that it is acceptable to use according to Islamic law, and they eat a lot of goat. So there should be other butchers in the city that follow these rules.

Just did a google search and these two came up, might be worth a phone call to see if they are in business, they were on the www.bcmuslims.com site.

Madina Halal Meat Market

Halal meat and groceries

7411 Edmonds Street

Burnaby

(604) 524-171

Al-Safa Halal Meat

Halal meat and groceries

6953 Kingsway

Burnaby

(604) 759-1138

Anyone know where to get pre-cooked chestnuts? I need some for the brussel sprouts and stuffing. Thanks, Stephen

You probably found what you wanted, but for future reference, you can get very good vacuum packed (in a bag) chestnuts from, of all places, Dan-D-Pak. Nice size, whole, firm. Quite happy with them.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Three things I'm looking for:

real homemade licorice (any flavor but anise)

Like candy made with licorice root (which would taste of anise), or are you looking for someone who makes red twizzlers type stuff in their own kitchen?

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Three things I'm looking for:

real homemade licorice (any flavor but anise)

Like candy made with licorice root (which would taste of anise), or are you looking for someone who makes red twizzlers type stuff in their own kitchen?

Yes, homemade "twizzlers" is what I'm looking for. The stuff I see in stores have artificial coloring and flavoring which I don't want.

• 2 weeks later...

Where can I find Thai tea, the stuff used for making Thai-styled iced tea with the milk? I can't recall seeing it at T&T, but it could just be that I'm not sure what brand I'm looking for. Thanks!

Where can I find Thai tea, the stuff used for making Thai-styled iced tea with the milk?  I can't recall seeing it at T&T, but it could just be that I'm not sure what brand I'm looking for.  Thanks!

I'd like to know as well. I haven't turned it up at any Vietnamese grocers, since there don't appear to be any Thai grocers (that I know of).

I definitely have not seen it at T&T.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

• 2 weeks later...
It's not food, but any ideas on where to find a pizza peel?

It's just for making pizza's at home, so no long handle is required.

Thanks!

I think I saw them at Gourmet Warehouse..maybe call first. 604-253-3022

Ming Wo has them, Home Outfitters, and I have also seen them at the Cookshop in City Square.

Thanks!

And if you're lucky you can find the coolest version which is the Mario Battali pizza peel which features a swing out handle for compact storage. Seen them occasionally at Home Sense.

Thanks!

And if you're lucky you can find the coolest version which is the Mario Battali pizza peel which features a swing out handle for compact storage. Seen them occasionally at Home Sense.

Got it on the weekend! Works pretty good...Not bad for $25 from Home Sense

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone have a good source for fresh rabbit? Somewhere on the West Side would be great.

Thanks

I'm sure I've often seen it at Tenderland in Granville Island.

Right you are. At almost $10./lb that was a $30. bunny but, I did say on the West Side... It'll make two courses and serve 3 people well so it averages out not too badly.

Anyone have a good source for fresh rabbit? Somewhere on the West Side would be great.

Thanks

There's fresh rabbit at Columbus Meats on Renfrew. Unfortunately, it's way over on the East side.