• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

Has anyone seen fresh sour cherries anywhere? I live in White Rock, but am willing to drive out to the Fraser Valley or Vancouver. The White Rock farmers market doesn't have them.

Where can I find Hon Mirin, the real stuff, preferably one without sugar?

Have you tried Fujiya?

I looked at Fujiya again and found something called, "Mirinfu Chomiryo." It has 8.5% alcohol. I don't know if the clerk understood me but she said this is similar to Hon Mirin. Cross my fingers.

Edited by maxmillan (log)

Where can I get grass fed bison meat.  I'm looking for a variety of cuts and forms (steak to ground meat.)  Is there such a thing as organic grass fed bison?

Thanks.

I recall seeing it at Drive Organics on Commercial Dr.

fmed

de gustibus non est disputandum

Have you tried Fujiya?

I looked at Fujiya again and found something called, "Mirinfu Chomiryo." It has 8.5% alcohol. I don't know if the clerk understood me but she said this is similar to Hon Mirin. Cross my fingers.

My Googling tells me that it is a synthetic mirin-like product. Let us know how it works out.

fmed

de gustibus non est disputandum

Where can I get grass fed bison meat.  I'm looking for a variety of cuts and forms (steak to ground meat.)  Is there such a thing as organic grass fed bison?

Thanks.

I recall seeing it at Drive Organics on Commercial Dr.

Thanks for the lead. I called and they do have organic grass fed bison. Excellent!

Have you tried Fujiya?

My Googling tells me that it is a synthetic mirin-like product. Let us know how it works out.

After a messy attempt to make the sauce I found it worth a second attempt. After a good part of the sesame seeds ended up on my counter I managed to make a small amount of sauce for my large quanitity of spinach. It was not too sweet (the Mirinfu label reads 4g of sugar.) Personally, the alcohol makes my head light so I think using a non-alcohol mirin would be best for me. I plan to make more sauce with the rest of the mirinfu and give them away.

Where can I get some stainless steel tiffin boxes? I understand they come in two to three tiers. Do they come in individual boxes of various sizes?

I remember my dad had a single rectangular tiffin but I don't know where he got it from.

I've looked at some stores along Main and 49th. Maybe I've missed them or went to the wrong stores but I didn't see them. Is this something unique to Indian cookware or can I find them in Chinatown?

I'm hoping to use them for meals and storage so I would like a variety of sizes.

Thanks.

Has anyone seen fresh sour cherries anywhere? I live in White Rock, but am willing to drive out to the Fraser Valley or Vancouver. The White Rock farmers market doesn't have them.

Try contacting Geoff and Randy at ospreyranch@telus.net

They sell unpitted sour cherries for $3 per pound, pitted for $4.50 per pound.

They do deliver to four various locations. Depending where you are, they will deliver to your door or sell from their truck. You need to make an order to reserve your sour cherries. I believe these may be organic as well.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for the lead!

Where can I get some stainless steel tiffin boxes?  I understand they come in two to three tiers.  Do they come in individual boxes of various sizes? 

I remember my dad had a single rectangular tiffin but I don't know where he got it from. 

I've looked at some stores along Main and 49th.  Maybe I've missed them or went to the wrong stores but I didn't see them.  Is this something unique to Indian cookware or can I find them in Chinatown?

I'm hoping to use them for meals and storage so I would like a variety of sizes.

Thanks.

I think I've seen those at the Indian stores out in Surrey. So why not try Main St. and 49th area? Or if you google it, looks like a Vancouver based company carries them online.

Because of the alcohol content of mirin - I don't think Fujiya is allowed to stock real mirin.  And unfortunately, BCLC is not a big seller of it either.  The best luck I've had with mirin is buying it in Seattle.

Is this a real requirement? I picked up some bitters at Safeway that have an alcohol content. I always assumed they were not allowed to sell them because of this, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Though, it's probably impossible to physically ingest enough bitters to get tanked. Shudder.

- pg

• 4 weeks later...
Because of the alcohol content of mirin - I don't think Fujiya is allowed to stock real mirin.  And unfortunately, BCLC is not a big seller of it either.  The best luck I've had with mirin is buying it in Seattle.

Is this a real requirement? I picked up some bitters at Safeway that have an alcohol content. I always assumed they were not allowed to sell them because of this, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Though, it's probably impossible to physically ingest enough bitters to get tanked. Shudder.

- pg

There's no issue with selling products with an alcohol content in BC as long as the product also has enough salt or other seasoning so as to be un-chuggable. This is how stores can sell bitters or restaurant suppliers can sell cooking wine or brandy.

The mirin equivalent is called shio mirin (= salt mirin), and that's usually made from mirinfu chomiryo (the fake stuff); it would be a waste to make it from real honmirin.

Mirinfu chomiryo can also get around the booze laws without adding salt in an unfermented version with less than 1% alcohol (vs about 10% for typical mirinfu chomiryo, or 15% for real honmirin). If maxmillian's bottle from Fujiya (see upthread) was labelled 8.5% and didn't have added salt, that one may have - ahem - slipped in through the cracks.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Has anyone found (or tried) the new Häagen-Dazs -Fleur de Sel Caramel Ice Cream in town? From what I've heard it's pretty tasty, (pieces of chocolate mixed in as well). It fits my flavour profile to a T!

I didn't even know they'd introduced the flavour! I'll keep an eye out for that one. It sounds like it'll fit my flavour profile to a T as well.

edited to add that while it shows up on the main Häagen-Dazs site, it doesn't appear to be listed on the Canadian site. Maybe we don't get it here... :sad:

Edited by emmalish (log)

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am on the hunt for chicken and fish which are raised/caught on the North Shore, Burnaby, Richmond or Ladner. Have just started the 10 mile diet challenge with a group of Richmond foodies. Produce is not much of a problem. I actually grow some, and know a few farmers w/ farm gate sales. But meat? a little more tricky.

Karen Dar Woon

• 1 month later...

I just got the latest Gourmet Warehouse newsletter and noticed that they are selling Fees bitters.

The Vancouver Sun's been running a series on bitters for cocktails and lamenting the fact that only Angostura bitters are widely available in Vancouver. 

But has anyone found other bitters (Peychaud's, Regan, etc) anywhere in the Lower Mainland?  Are the bars & lounges special-ordering them?

Cheers,

Anne

I just got the latest Gourmet Warehouse newsletter and noticed that they are selling Fees bitters.
The Vancouver Sun's been running a series on bitters for cocktails and lamenting the fact that only Angostura bitters are widely available in Vancouver. 

But has anyone found other bitters (Peychaud's, Regan, etc) anywhere in the Lower Mainland?  Are the bars & lounges special-ordering them?

I think the closest place to buy Regan's and Peychaud's is in Seattle. I know a few bartenders in town have been picking them up here... http://www.delaurenti.com/

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

I saw bitters at the government liquor store and I'm sure it was NOT Angostura.  I believe it was about $27 for a 500ml bottle.

Sounds like you're talking about something like Fernet Branca which is an "amaro" but is meant to be drunk straight (or as the primary ingredient in a cocktail) as opposed to bitters which, although related, are very different.

I remember being able to buy 750ml. bottles of Fernet Branca from Scardillo Grocery on E. Hastings for about $8. when I picked up my fresh mozzarrella. Sadly, no more Scardillo, no more un tax gouged Fernet.

Good times, good times....sob!

I remember being able to buy 750ml. bottles of Fernet Branca from Scardillo Grocery on E. Hastings for about $8. when I picked up my fresh mozzarrella. Sadly, no more Scardillo, no more un tax gouged Fernet.

Good times, good times....sob!

Scardillo lives! (sort of)

After they closed Hastings, they opened a shop at the cheese factory in Burnaby. It's not as good as the old Hastings shop, but if you're in the neighbourhood (Lake City) and need bocconcini...

Flamingo Foods (Scardillo Cheese) 7865 Venture St Bby, Tel 604-420-9892

Map: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=...330386472555172

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

• 1 month later...
Anyone know where to get pre-cooked chestnuts? I need some for the brussel sprouts and stuffing. Thanks, Stephen

I buy Chestnuts online from D'Artagnan. They're pre-cooked and ready to use. I checked the site today and they sell for $8.99 for a 7oz. bag + shipping costs. D'Artagnan will deliver the next day if you order before noon West Coast time.

I used them in this dish for Thanksgiving-Brussels Sprouts with Applewood Smoked Bacon and Chestnuts.

gallery_41580_4407_5403.jpg

• 4 weeks later...