• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

Hey guys,

I've been looking for it for awhile, but..

Does anyone know where to find any Salt Cod? 

Salt cod is easy to make.

Cover your cod of choice with coarse pickling salt, let stand in the fridge for one week minimum, then rinse and soak over night. You are good to go. Cod is cheap, salt is cheap. The longer it sits in salt, the better. And when I say covered, I mean covered. Lots and lots of salt. Possibly more than you have used in your entire life.

-- Matt.

Re: Brisket

Stong's Market in Kerrisdale has Certified Angus Brisket on special this week (April 27 - May 3) for $4.50 a pound.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Anyone got a source for good corn tortillas? The grocery store variety taste like cardboard.

Assuming you mean the fresh ones, it depends what part of town you'll be in:

El Sureno - 1730 Commercial (near 1st)

South China Seas - Granville Island Market

Que Pasa - Richmond

Anyone got a source for good corn tortillas? The grocery store variety taste like cardboard.

I've bought these quite cheaply at the Killarney Market - they have a surprising selection of Mexican food. I've also seen 'proper' tortillas at the new Save-On at Cambie & 7th.

I'm looking for tomatoes sold in jars instead of cans.  I don't know if there is such a thing but I'm trying to stay away from canned tomatoes with the exception of Eden's products.

I prefer to buy whole organic tomatoes.  I like to make my soups with this and if I have to, I will compromise with organic diced tomatoes. 

Thanks.

Choices has organic whole tomatoes in glass jars for $13.99 . I believe the brand is Lucini. The price is steep but this would have to do in a pinch. Thanks for everyone else's suggestion.

While my fave corn tortillas come from Que Pasa in Richmond as noted already, I've also purchased very good ones from Famous Foods on Kingsway. I believe the brand was Don Pancho (made somewhere in the US). Side note: Don Pancho's flour tortillas are the best I've found anywhere in the city, because they taste great, are big but not blankets (I get the "gordita" size) and, most importantly, freeze bee-yoo-tifully in a handy resealable package.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Me again. This place has been really, really useful. I ended up making my own salt cod (found a recipe tucked away in my copy of Charcuterie). Brisket ended being corned beef (after finding pink salt from a place in Surrey). Now as I slowly spiral downward into curing / smoking / alcoholizing (first batch of lemoncello is up --delicious) that's going to end in some form of horrible illness or tastiness....

the next thing on the list: Nocino. It's coming up to walnut season (june?) for the green ones. Anyone have any success sourcing green unripe walnuts in Vancouver? I've found a few mail order places but require minimum amounts and well, as a poor grad student, I can't throw cash away at 10 lbs of green walnuts!

Maybe someone will know..

• 4 weeks later...
Where can I find Hon Mirin, the real stuff, preferably one without sugar?

You can't in Vancouver, as far as I'm aware. The issue is the alcohol: it's an alcoholic drink and so must be sold by the BC Liquor Store or some such bollocks. I always pick mine up when I'm in San Francisco and fly it back. They don't count it in your alcohol allowance. (Or at least it hasn't happened to me yet!)

Because of the alcohol content of mirin - I don't think Fujiya is allowed to stock real mirin.  And unfortunately, BCLC is not a big seller of it either.  The best luck I've had with mirin is buying it in Seattle.

Thanks for the advice. Do you think using a good grade sake would work for making the soba dipping sauce?

If not, what store in Seattle did you get your Hon Mirin?

Thanks.

If anyone will have it, it would be Uwajimaya. And while you're at it, pick up some Choya Umeshu (sweet apricot wine). So nice on the rocks as a summer drink. And you get to nibble on the apricots afterward.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

If anyone will have it, it would be Uwajimaya. And while you're at it, pick up some Choya Umeshu (sweet apricot wine). So nice on the rocks as a summer drink. And you get to nibble on the apricots afterward.

sanrensho - you and I shop at the same places in Seattle!

Uwayjimaya - Mirin Definition

Edited by canucklehead (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for two completely different items:

1) bulk baking soda - I don't need a 25lb bag, but I'd like a largish quantity, say a kilo, hopefully more economical than buying little boxes;

2) I buy bulk beans in the Punjabi Market, and they're very clean and reasonably priced, but the stores I shop at don't have several varieties I use regularly, including split green peas, black and pinto beans, etc. Can anyone recommend a store that sells bulk beans that's known to be clean and free of six legged hitchhikers?

I'm in North-East Vancouver and on the bus, so location is somewhat important, but any suggestion will be carefully considerd. Please and thank you!!

1) bulk baking soda - I don't need a 25lb bag, but I'd like a largish quantity, say a kilo, hopefully more economical than buying little boxes;

2) I buy bulk beans in the Punjabi Market, and they're very clean and reasonably priced, but the stores I shop at don't have several varieties I use regularly, including split green peas, black and pinto beans, etc. Can anyone recommend a store that sells bulk beans that's known to be clean and free of six legged hitchhikers?

I'm in North-East Vancouver and on the bus, so location is somewhat important, but any suggestion will be carefully considerd. Please and thank you!!

try famous foods on kingsway

Have you tried the larger supermarkets? Save-On and Superstore come to mind.

Have you tried the larger supermarkets?  Save-On and Superstore come to mind.

I haven't... I have never shopped at either of those places and I don't even know where they are!! I will check them out, though. Thanks for the tip!

Edited by Anchoress (log)

Have you tried the larger supermarkets?  Save-On and Superstore come to mind.

I haven't... I have never shopped at either of those places and I don't even know where they are!! I will check them out, though. Thanks for the tip!

There's both a Save-On Foods and Superstore at Metropolis in Metrotown, Burnaby - that might be the closest to where you are. Save-On is at the Station Square side, but Superstore is in the mall proper. Personally, I prefer Save-On - it's tidier. They're going on strike though, in the next couple days, so Superstore might be a better bet at this time. :smile: