• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

I'm looking for tomatoes sold in jars instead of cans.  I don't know if there is such a thing but I'm trying to stay away from canned tomatoes with the exception of Eden's products.

I prefer to buy whole organic tomatoes.  I like to make my soups with this and if I have to, I will compromise with organic diced tomatoes. 

Thanks.

Would frozen tomatoes do? One of the vendors (Klippers, I think) at the Winter Market had frozen tomatoes on offer. They were whole, in their skins and would be suitable for cooked dishes.

I'm looking for tomatoes sold in jars instead of cans.  I don't know if there is such a thing but I'm trying to stay away from canned tomatoes with the exception of Eden's products.

I prefer to buy whole organic tomatoes.  I like to make my soups with this and if I have to, I will compromise with organic diced tomatoes. 

Thanks.

Would frozen tomatoes do? One of the vendors (Klippers, I think) at the Winter Market had frozen tomatoes on offer. They were whole, in their skins and would be suitable for cooked dishes.

While you're at the Winter Market, pop across to Bosa's. I know they have jarred tomato paste, maybe whole tomatoes too? Worth a look...

Thanks.

Not a jar but if it's the tin that you object to Pomi brand tomatoes come in a tetra box. I don't know if they have organic or not. The lady at Giancarlo Italian Deli

seems quite happy to special order for people. Maybe give her a call to see if the product you are looking for is available.

1101 AUSTIN AVE, COQUITLAM, BC V3K 3P4

in between Gatensbury & Marmont

(Cross Street: Austin AVE and Marmont ST)

Phone: 604-931-0556

• 3 weeks later...

I have to go back to Granville Island tomorrow!!!

I bought some hothouse beefsteak tomatoes from a small producer in BC. I forgot to get literature - I have no information on them. They were sweet, juicy and had that brilliant summer tomato smell.

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Does anyone know where I can find skirtsteak? I picked up a flank steak instead, but don't really know the difference between the two.

Thanks.

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

The flank steak is very close to the skirt steak but they are different... the skirt is the "diaphragm" while the flank is the "abs". Both are long fibre meats that have great beef flavor however can easily become tough if cooked improperly.

Sources? Any butcher who is cutting their own meat on site... I'd recommend Hopcott in Pitt Meadows, North Shore Quality Meats in North Van, North Surrey Quality Meats near Guilford, Penguin in White Rock or Dicksons in Langley... where are you?

Brian Misko

House of Q - Competition BBQ

www.houseofq.com

The flank steak is very close to the skirt steak but they are different...  the skirt is the "diaphragm" while the flank is the "abs".  Both are long fibre meats that have great beef flavor however can easily become tough if cooked improperly.

Sources?  Any butcher who is cutting their own meat on site...  I'd recommend Hopcott in Pitt Meadows, North Shore Quality Meats in North Van, North Surrey Quality Meats near Guilford, Penguin in White Rock or Dicksons in Langley...  where are you?

In Vancouver (Oakridge) - would Granville Island have it?

By the way, I must have cooked it properly last night - tender as can be!

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

Woo hoo! Beef cuts from that area of the cow are fantastic grilling steaks - flank, skirt, plate, brisket...

Granville Island should have skirt steaks as well as Market Meats on 4th - just ask for it, it likely will not be in the case.

Brian

Brian Misko

www.houseofq.com

Does anyone know of a place in Vancouver that carries a good selection of candy-making & chocolate-making supplies?

Or a Canadian on-line source? I'd rather avoid paying duty if possible.

How much are we talking about here... 1kg, 10kg, 100 kg?

For small quantities, check out Charlie's Chocolate Factory at Boundary & Canada Way in Burnaby (retail) , QZina in Richmond (cash & carry), or Sugar Art in Richmond (cash & carry). Sugar Art also has some equipment and tools.

Karen Dar Woon

Thanks, both of you. It'll be small quantities, Karen. I have a friend whose office is just down the street from Sugar Art. I meant to go in and poke around, but they were closed with a notice saying by appointment only. I'll make more of an effort next time I'm out to see her.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

Hey guys,

I've been looking for it for awhile, but..

Does anyone know where to find any Salt Cod?

I picked up 'The New Spanish Table' and everything and it's dog has salt cod + a few old favorites where I used to live and could find salt cod readily.

Any ideas?

Also.. cheap brisket? I found some the other day for $8.99/lb, which is criminal for brisket. Corned beef experiment going on hold for awhile I guess.

Hey guys,

Try phoning a few Italian markets. Although I usually see baccala more around Christmas.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Brisket can be found at butchers around the city... more than likely they will be selling wet-aged, cryovac bags - most often whole-packers meaning both the tip and the flat.

Give me a sense of where you are and what you wanna do with it... I may know of some places to get briskets.

Brian

Brian Misko

www.houseofq.com

Hey guys,

I picked up 'The New Spanish Table' and everything and it's dog has salt cod + a few old favorites where I used to live and could find salt cod readily.

Any ideas?

Also.. cheap brisket?  I found some the other day for $8.99/lb, which is criminal for brisket.  Corned beef experiment going on hold for awhile I guess.

I've seen salt cod at some of the Greek grocery stores on West Broadway.

The Vancouver Sun's been running a series on bitters for cocktails and lamenting the fact that only Angostura bitters are widely available in Vancouver.

But has anyone found other bitters (Peychaud's, Regan, etc) anywhere in the Lower Mainland? Are the bars & lounges special-ordering them?