• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

Now I'm on the hunt for the Zojirushi Mr. Bento lunch jar.

have you browsed either Yoahan or Aberdeen malls in Richmond? or T&T

Karen, thanks. I know I really should do the trek out to Richmond and poke around Yoahan & Aberdeen, but living in White Rock I rarely get the chance to go out that way. I was hoping that one of you great egulleters would have spotted the actual product at a local retailer.

No leaf lard at Oyama, neither Armando's. Armando's told me I'd likely have to go to a slaughter house.  :blink:

As for the Mr. Bento lunch jars (as in my previous post), has anyone by any chance seen these in stores anywhere? I'm quite sure there's a store in Richmond that carries them, but I just wouldn't know where to begin to search.

Thanks!  :wub:

Try VCC butcher department

No leaf lard at Oyama, neither Armando's. Armando's told me I'd likely have to go to a slaughter house.  :blink:

Joe, I think that doesn't exist any more... VCC shut down their meat cutting program in 2002. The only meat cutting program still running in BC is at Thompson Rivers in Kamloops.

Re leaf lard, I'd ask Dave at Windsor Meats.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Karen, thanks. I know I really should do the trek out to Richmond and poke around Yoahan & Aberdeen, but living in White Rock I rarely get the chance to go out that way. I was hoping that one of you great egulleters would have spotted the actual product at a local retailer.

You could try calling them. Beats going all the way there and not finding what you need.

If all else fails, I could ship one to you from Japan, but the shipping probably won't be cheap!

No leaf lard at Oyama, neither Armando's. Armando's told me I'd likely have to go to a slaughter house.   :blink:

Joe, I think that doesn't exist any more... VCC shut down their meat cutting program in 2002. The only meat cutting program still running in BC is at Thompson Rivers in Kamloops.

Re leaf lard, I'd ask Dave at Windsor Meats.

I guess it's obious that I haven't been there for a while...

• 2 weeks later...

I work for Marquis Wine Cellars at 1034 Davie Street. We have the corkscrew in one style right now. The bone colored ones are in stock, with a nice leather type pouch for $220.00 each (I think) . Will double check the price and quantity when I go to work tomorrow.

Cheers David

If it's slower than me.

Dumber than me.

And tastes good.

Pass the salt.

Anthony Bourdain

Anyone know where to get bulk uni / sea urchin?

Fujiya on Venables *used* to have it every saturday for $2.99/ 100g; a big tray of sea urchin "seconds" (the stuff that was not sushi grade) that you could buy by the tub. It was fantastic for making uni cones or otherwise overindulging in uni. Then for some reason they stopped getting it, and my urchin life has been destitute ever since.

Anyone got a tip on where it might be found? A packer perhaps?

Jonathan Colvin

Maybe

Angel Seafoods

1345 Grant St, Vancouver

604-254-2824

maybe....

I buy Hamachi and whole frozen squid from them all the time, but they don't have uni in bulk seconds; only the expensive trayed stuff. I think I'm likely out of luck, unless I can find a packer who will sell it to me.

Mr. Bento

Has anyone seen this anywhere in Vancouver or Richmond? I've emailed Zojirushi but they only sent me on a wild goose chase with phone numbers to Toronto. I'm sure someone somewhere sells this product locally. Amazon sells it, but they don't deliver to Canada, and ebay sells it but shipping is astronomical.

Any help is greatly appreciated!  :wub:

There was a place in Surrey that sold them (back when I was looking for one, I looked out there), it wasn't T&T, but one that was by the Sheraton. I can't remember the name, sorry. If you're still looking I'll do some searching to try and remember - however they were a little overpriced, IMO.

The best bet for me was to order off of Amazon.com - the one in the store was somewhere in the ballpark of $75-$80, so with Amazon being only $32 and our dollar being strong, that's probably your best bet.

You'll love it - I love my Mr. Bento. There's a Flickr group for Mr. Bento that also gives great ideas for lunches and snacks and such. I've had mine for over a year and it's wearing well.

Now that Nalgene bottles have been pulled off the shelves atf MEC, I want to find a stainless steel water bottle that won't cost too much. And I don't want any noxious coating on the inside.

I presently use a sippy plastic Rubbermaid bottle with a flip up straw-like extension and find it convenient compared to the bicyclist's-style spout. I'm sure there is even some leaching of chemicals from this bottle.

I'm changing a lot of my storage containers to glass as well. If there is such a thing as a glass water bottle with a harmless spout, that would be perfect. Weight is not an issue. I simply need a drinking container that does not leach BPA or other chemicals and with a sealed top to prevent spillage and contaminants flying in.

Any suggestions?

Now that Nalgene bottles have been pulled off the shelves atf MEC, I want to find a stainless steel water bottle that won't cost too much.  And I don't want any noxious coating on the inside.

. . .

Any suggestions?

There's always Sigg. They are lined (with "a patented secret formula liner), but they say the bottle won't leach any harmful substances into your beverage.

Plus you can buy several to mix and match with your outfits. :biggrin:

When asked what I could bring for Christmas, my Dad wanted me to track down a Scottish smoked Haddock called the 'Arbroath smokie' Any of you ex-pats out there seen it anywhere? C.

Anywhere on the Lower Mainland or Vancouver Island I should say....

BBC Food

Edited by kissmekate (log)

Cate Simpson

Les Dames d'Escoffier International

www.ldei.org

www.lesdames.ca

I'm pretty sure I've seen smoked haddock on Granville Island at the fish shop across the aisle from Oyama - can't remember its name. I don't know if it is the specific type you are looking for though

Cheers,

Anne

Yule Log Dessert, previously made by Dairyland, or similar...

My mom has decided she needs one of these on the dessert table for Christmas Day.

What I remember is a frozen dessert; buche noel with ice cream, I guess.

Used to be in the regular supermarket freezer section, but no one has found anything yet.

Karen

Karen Dar Woon

I'm looking for a particular brand of tea called "Maple" or "Maple Leaf".

I believe they have a vanilla flavor. 

Anyone know where I can find this?

Thanks.

Found it! It's actually called "Mighty Leaf" and they were on sale at Choices. If anyone is interested, the tea is in a silk pouch sewn sealed around the border.

Still can't find leaf lard...not at Penguin, not at Ozark's not at Clancy's.

Mr. Bento

Has anyone seen this anywhere in Vancouver or Richmond? I've emailed Zojirushi but they only sent me on a wild goose chase with phone numbers to Toronto. I'm sure someone somewhere sells this product locally. Amazon sells it, but they don't deliver to Canada, and ebay sells it but shipping is astronomical.

Any help is greatly appreciated!  :wub:

You might try Forum Appliances in Chinatown (Vancouver). They have the lunch jar on their web site and I know they carry a lot of Zojirushi products:

http://forumappliances.com/i-141-Zojirushi_Lunch_Jar.html

Hope that is helpful.

• 1 month later...

Capers on Cambie use to have "Everland" organic pumpkin seed butter. They no longer have them and I'm looking for this brand because it's salt free. The other brand they have is way too salty and it's not organic.

Anybody know where I can get this?

Capers on Cambie use to have "Everland" organic pumpkin seed butter.  They no longer have them and I'm looking for this brand because it's salt free.  The other brand they have is way too salty and it's not organic.

Anybody know where I can get this?

I really like the "Nuts to You" Pumpkin butter. It's organic and unsalted. I can't remember where I bought it though. Stong's possibly - but I'll see if I can find out. I'm running low so I'll be keeping an eye out for it anyway.

It's really delicious when spread on toasted Terra Breads pumpkin seed bread, with St. Dalfour pear preserves :wub:

• 1 month later...

I'm looking for tomatoes sold in jars instead of cans. I don't know if there is such a thing but I'm trying to stay away from canned tomatoes with the exception of Eden's products.

I prefer to buy whole organic tomatoes. I like to make my soups with this and if I have to, I will compromise with organic diced tomatoes.

Thanks.