• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Not exactly an "ingredient", but I am looking for a source of 8-10 oz. stoneware bowls. Deeper rather than shallow, so as to be usable for soup and soft desserts White (to match some other items). 150 pieces. $2 each or less. Ideas?

Karen Dar Woon

Not exactly an "ingredient", but I am looking for a source of 8-10 oz. stoneware bowls. Deeper rather than shallow, so as to be usable for soup and soft desserts White (to match some other items). 150 pieces. $2 each or less. Ideas?

Have you tried Puddifoot? http://www.puddifoot.com/

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Anyone know where I can buy Garlic Shoots?

Garlic shoots==Garlic Scapes? It's a bit past the season for local supply (UBC farm market had loads at the start of their season, but none last week).

Try T&T or H-mart?

Have you tried Puddifoot? http://www.puddifoot.com/

I've seen some ramekins at Buy Low in Kingsgate Mall and the same ones at Welks Dollar Store (Main and 19th) for $1. Welks also has other dishes in the size you want. You may want to check them out or other dollar stores for the large quantity that you need.

Nope, but I know where you can liberate some from the confines of the field they are currently being held captive in :smile:

Does anyone know somewhere outside of Vancouver - like perhaps Langley or Surrey even - that I might find Dodoni feta cheese?

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Nope, but I know where you can liberate some from the confines of the field they are currently being held captive in :smile:

Would it require a trip out to Chilliwack??

run2eat: True, thanks for the sugestion I will try looking for them there. I planning on wraping them in pork belly skewering and tossing them on the grill as a part of a bbq potluck. I recently tried it at a restaurant and it worked well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm in Calgary AB, and I'm wondering if anyone has a commercial source for the following:

- Smetana

- Kefir

- Kvas

Bump. Anyone? Or am I going to have to make my own? (I'd rather buy from a good source though, their product is probably more consistent than what I can do)

I'll describe the products if that helps:

- Smetana - basically sour cream, but with a much higher fat content than the sour cream you find in the grocery store, and without the thickening agents

- Kefir - fermented milk product, similar to yogurt, but thinner - usually is drank

- Kvas - fermented bread drink

• 1 month later...

Why not give Penguin Meats a try? They carry a big selection of fairly interesting meats.

(They're on Johnson, just south of 16th).

There's a butcher in Ocean Park as well, but I can't remember the name, it's been a while since I lived in White Rock.

• 4 weeks later...

Still can't find leaf lard...not at Penguin, not at Ozark's not at Clancy's.

Now I'm on the hunt for the Zojirushi Mr. Bento lunch jar.

Mr. Bento

Has anyone seen this anywhere in Vancouver or Richmond? I've emailed Zojirushi but they only sent me on a wild goose chase with phone numbers to Toronto. I'm sure someone somewhere sells this product locally. Amazon sells it, but they don't deliver to Canada, and ebay sells it but shipping is astronomical.

Any help is greatly appreciated! :wub:

Still can't find leaf lard...not at Penguin, not at Ozark's not at Clancy's.

You should try Oyama in Granville Island, they most definitely have access to leaf lard, whether they can spare it or whether perhaps you need to advance order is another question.

No leaf lard at Oyama, neither Armando's. Armando's told me I'd likely have to go to a slaughter house. :blink:

As for the Mr. Bento lunch jars (as in my previous post), has anyone by any chance seen these in stores anywhere? I'm quite sure there's a store in Richmond that carries them, but I just wouldn't know where to begin to search.

Thanks! :wub:

No leaf lard at Oyama, neither Armando's. Armando's told me I'd likely have to go to a slaughter house.  :blink:

As for the Mr. Bento lunch jars (as in my previous post), has anyone by any chance seen these in stores anywhere? I'm quite sure there's a store in Richmond that carries them, but I just wouldn't know where to begin to search.

Thanks!  :wub:

I can't help you as I'd never heard of the Mr. Bento lunch box. What a cool product!

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden