• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

another example of seeing something everywhere until you actually need it--then you can't find it anywhere! i'm looking for beef/ox tongue (whole). any leads??

i saw some frozen ones at T&T, but i was looking for fresh. plus the frozen ones seemed a little expensive for what people might consider to be a "reject" cut (over $20 for one tongue...$5.99/lb).

i'm planning on simmering it in soy sauce, slicing then finishing off on a grill for extra pizzazz, and eating with a hot bowl of rice with barley mixed in.

I've seen fresh ones from time to time at the Metrotown and Richmond T&T's. Maybe it is a matter of hit and miss? Or try Crystal Mall in Burnaby, they've got a few butcher shops there. Or Chinatown, but having spent much time there I don't know of a particular shop.

The Chinatown T&T had fresh tongue a couple of weeks ago.

Paul B

I can't remember where, but I recently read about a woman in West Vancouver who makes old fashioned style pickles.  She also makes what sounded like tomato chow-chow.  Anyone else pick up on this?  Know the company / brand name?

thanks,

Joe

I think you're referring to an article published in a recent North Shore Outlook. I'll dig around later to see if I can find the article. I believe that Caper's also carries the brand, so you could also phone one of their stores.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I can't remember where, but I recently read about a woman in West Vancouver who makes old fashioned style pickles.  She also makes what sounded like tomato chow-chow.  Anyone else pick up on this?  Know the company / brand name?

The company mentioned in the NS Outlook article is Tarragon Foods, owned by Andrea Gray-Grant (of North Van, not West Van).

Link added: http://www.tarragonfoods.com/

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

The company mentioned in the NS Outlook article is Tarragon Foods, owned by Andrea Gray-Grant (of North Van, not West Van).

and low and behold, you can buy these pickles right down on GI at Edible British Columbia

Personally, I'm a fan of Big Don's pickles from the farmer's markets.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

I'm trying to find two different things that so far, I haven't been able to locate in Vancouver.

1) Cactus pear juice (I'm also told it can be called prickly pear nectar) - I need the juice, not a syrup, as I'm trying to recreate the amazing Cactus Pear Margarita that I had last weekend at Mesa Grill in Las Vegas. I'm probably going to go down to Que Pasa's store this weekend - anyone know if they carry it?

2) Reisenthel Folding Trolley Bag - I saw one at Sur La Table in Vegas and meant to return to pick it up, but after a couple of the above cactus pear margaritas, I forgot! It can be found online here, but unfortunately there is not a photo unless you go back to the "Picnic and Totes" section, where there's a thumbnail showing the cart. However, I really don't want to have to pay shipping and I'd rather support a local business anyways. (I'd figure it would be good as I could walk to the grocery store and lug everything back!) I know it's not an ingredient, but it will be used to haul ingredients back to my house, so I figured it would be okay! :raz:

Thanks for all of your help!

I'm trying to find two different things that so far, I haven't been able to locate in Vancouver.

2) Reisenthel Folding Trolley Bag - I saw one at Sur La Table in Vegas and meant to return to pick it up, but after a couple of the above cactus pear margaritas, I forgot! It can be found online

Hi, goneshopping.ca carries it:

link

Hi, goneshopping.ca carries it:

link

Thanks! I was hoping to avoid shipping charges, but it looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet.

For those of you who were interested, unfortunately Que Pasa's store did not have the cactus pear juice - I'm thinking it's more of a Southern American thing, since the clerk looked at me like I was crazy! :laugh: I'm still on the hunt for it for it though - I'm probably going to email Mesa Grill just for the heck of it and see if they'd let me know (perhaps) who their supplier is.

For those of you who were interested, unfortunately Que Pasa's store did not have the cactus pear juice - I'm thinking it's more of a Southern American thing, since the clerk looked at me like I was crazy!  :laugh: I'm still on the hunt for it for it though - I'm probably going to email Mesa Grill just for the heck of it and see if they'd let me know (perhaps) who their supplier is.

I wonder if Dona Cata may have it? They have a small selection of groceries.

Also - you may want to give Whole Foods a call - the stock a suprisingly large selection of latino food products.

This is not going to be a huge help, but I seem to vaguely recall a Mexican grocery store/restaurant in Richmond somewhere. Maybe Steveston? I read an article about it in a local paper sometime last year. Perhaps there??

Another thought... There's a grocery store on Commercial, by 1st, next to Frederico's Supper Club that has a fair bit of Latino groceries too.

Edited by makanmakan (log)

Quentina

There's also a store on 41st and Knight, about 1-2 doors west of the NW corner, called Dos Amigos (or perhaps Tres Amigos? I can't remember now) that might be worth a try. Completely nondescript, like a million other corner stores that you walk by without noticing - but inside they have a small but decent selection of items.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend who's been looking for rice oil. Apparently he's looked in a few health food stores, as well as grocery stores, but hasn't been able to find it. Any ideas?

I have a friend who's been looking for rice oil. Apparently he's looked in a few health food stores, as well as grocery stores, but hasn't been able to find it.  Any ideas?

Whole Foods in the states sells rice oil, not sure if it is available in West Van.

Great product!

Chef/Owner/Teacher

• 3 weeks later...
Where in Vancouver/Burnaby/Richmond can I find fresh or froszen organic cow/calf liver?

Does the Farmer's Market carry them as well?

Found them! At the Nat Bailey Farmer's Market. They are as close to organic as I could find and the stock, I was told, is relatively young. I forget the name of the vendor, but they are from Chilliwack and are also at the Trout Lake Market. They are frozen, $2.50 per pound and I had to buy a minimum 2 - 3 pounds.

• 2 weeks later...

can anyone tell where i can buy avocado oil at a not too ridiculous price, caper's had organic at $18 for get this a 250 ml bottle, i know its gonna cost more than your average evoo and am willing to pay the extra but that caper's price is not something i'm willing to pay, heard its even available at safeway but wasn't at the one on robson

Looking for organic cottage cheese.  Choices and Capers didn't have them when I last looked.

Is there such a thing?

Organic Meadow

Any idea where I can get it in Vancouver? Where is it made? I should have mentioned, I prefer to buy local.

You can find it in Choices stores (note that it's a pressed cottage cheese, so if you were looking for a tub, you may have missed it).

Looking for organic cottage cheese.  Choices and Capers didn't have them when I last looked.

Is there such a thing?

Organic Meadow

Any idea where I can get it in Vancouver? Where is it made? I should have mentioned, I prefer to buy local.

You can find it in Choices stores (note that it's a pressed cottage cheese, so if you were looking for a tub, you may have missed it).

Thanks. I found it. They didn't carry it at the Cambie store and they had it at the MacDonald store.