• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

i'm looking for a ribbon-shaped cookie cutter,

Gourmet Warehouse, Cookshop @ City Square, Stock Market

And maybe the Ming Wo on Pender?

You could also try "Hot Chocolate" on Robson. I don't remember the exact name, actually, but it's near Hapa Izakaya.

i'm looking for a ribbon-shaped cookie cutter,

Gourmet Warehouse, Cookshop @ City Square, Stock Market

And maybe the Ming Wo on Pender?

You could also try "Hot Chocolate" on Robson. I don't remember the exact name, actually, but it's near Hapa Izakaya.

Chocolate Moose/Mousse?

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I searched through the thread but couldn't find any appropriate replies.

Does anyone know where I should look to find fresh buffalo mozzarella? :]

I'm considering checking out the Les amis du fromage shop on Burrard since I love the service there, and never thought to ask- but if anyone has a better suggestion I'd love to hear it!

Cheers

I'm considering checking out the Les amis du fromage shop on Burrard since I love the service there, and never thought to ask- but if anyone has a better suggestion I'd love to hear it!

Cheers

Yes, Les Amis has the buffalo (most of the time) as do (usually) both of the Italian deli vendors at Granville Island and also La Grotto di Formagio on Commercial.

Yes, both stores have Italian Buffalo Mozza. We also now have in stock buffalo mozza from Vancouver Island...$10.50 for 225 gr

Joe

Cheers

Yes, Les Amis has the buffalo (most of the time) as do (usually) both of the Italian deli vendors at Granville Island and also La Grotto di Formagio on Commercial.

Yes, both stores have Italian Buffalo Mozza. We also now have in stock buffalo mozza from Vancouver Island...$10.50 for 225 gr

Joe

Now that is interesting news! After that great article in Eat a couple of issues back I'm excited to try the Van. Isl. version.

Any comments on the difference Joe? Is it more of a work in progress or quite different?

Now that is interesting news! After that great article in Eat a couple of issues back I'm excited to try the Van. Isl. version.

Any comments on the difference Joe? Is it more of a work in progress or quite different?

It is very good. The local one is perhaps a touch less creamy than its Italian counterpart. It is produced in Courtenay by Natural Pastures and is called "Fairburn", named after Fairburn Farms, the source of the buffalo milk.

If you have any feedback on it after you have tasted it, I would be happy to pass it along.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello!

Does anyone know where I can find maraschino liqueur in Vancouver/Burnaby/Richmond? It's not available in the BC liquor stores. I believe Luxardo brand makes this. Thanks!

Does anyone know where I can buy the ready to serve tomato bruschetta topping made by "Emma?" It comes in a 1litre glass jar. The last place I bought it was Bosa on Victoria last year for around $6.

It's a product from Italy and I'm guessing "Emma" is a brand name just like "Hunt's."

The top of the lid has a sticker which reads, "Muraca." This sticker extends as the seal to the jar.

I really love this topping as you can see the bright red tomato pieces and the olive oil are both delicious and NOT sweet.

A clerk at Bosa recommended the Italissima brand and it looks like a darker mush with a lot less oil. They no longer carry the above brand.

I use this not only for bruschetta but also for pizza and anything that needs a good authentic tomato taste. I find other brands use sugar and/or overuse spices which overpower the tartness.

Edited by maxmillan (log)

Give Ugo & Joe's (on E. Hastings) a call. They carry the Emma brand canned tomatoes, so they might have your bruschetta.

I haven't seen the Emma brand around much, so that might be your best bet.

Does anyone know where I can buy the ready to serve tomato bruschetta topping made by "Emma?"  It comes in a 1litre glass jar.  The last place I bought it was Bosa on Victoria last year for around $6.

It's a product from Italy and I'm guessing "Emma" is a brand name just like "Hunt's."

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Does anyone know where I can buy the ready to serve tomato bruschetta topping made by "Emma?"  It comes in a 1litre glass jar.  The last place I bought it was Bosa on Victoria last year for around $6.

Emma is a brand that often has other companies repackage their existing product with the Emma label. While not usually top tier in quality, they offer good value by nature of quantity. Try Bosa, Costco, Donald's.

As an alternative, it's not hard to make.

Hello!

Does anyone know where I can find maraschino liqueur in Vancouver/Burnaby/Richmond?  It's not available in the BC liquor stores.  I believe Luxardo brand makes this.  Thanks!

If it's booze, it should have to be sold in a government or private liquor store. Try contacting the company, and finding out if they've shipped any to canada. Then find out how to get some.

Hello!

Does anyone know where I can find maraschino liqueur in Vancouver/Burnaby/Richmond?  It's not available in the BC liquor stores.  I believe Luxardo brand makes this.  Thanks!

If it's booze, it should have to be sold in a government or private liquor store. Try contacting the company, and finding out if they've shipped any to canada. Then find out how to get some.

Thanks!!

Hello!

You might be out of luck finding the Luxardo brand. However, there is another brand (forget the name) but much more expensive. The Maple and Broadway BC liquor store has it. I understand they de-listed it because it's not a good seller but they may bring it back during the Christmas season. I have asked the manager to bring it back but apparently, some things are up to the reps, not the BC govt liquor stores as to what is available. I'm going to try again to see if they can get it in. I'm coddling my last bottle for my black forest cheesecake.

They do, however, have cherry brandy if that will suffice.

Hello!

I've purchased the Luxardo Brand at Qzina in Toronto. There is a Qzina in Vancouver, so I suspect you could purchase it there too.

Hello!

I've purchased the Luxardo Brand at Qzina in Toronto. There is a Qzina in Vancouver, so I suspect you could purchase it there too.

well.. a wee google search turns up this: http://www.bcliquorstores.com/en/products/397950

but if you truly can't find what you are looking for give me a call.. I have the fancy pants stuff and I’ll never use it all no matter how many black forest cakes I bake (not many)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Hello!

well.. a wee google search turns up this: http://www.bcliquorstores.com/en/products/397950

but if you truly can't find what you are looking for give me a call.. I have the fancy pants stuff and I’ll never use it all no matter how many black forest cakes I bake (not many)

Thanks for the hints, everyone! From what I understand, maraschino liqueur is not quite the same as kirsch or any of the other cherry liqueurs. It's made from marasca cherrys and the pits, and is supposed to taste faintly of almonds, and is an ingredient in Aviation cocktails. I've dug around on the Spirits & Cocktails forum and another poster mentioned she has never come across this stuff in the Lower Mainland. I will definately give the places mentioned a shot, but methinks might need to wait for the next trip across the border! :biggrin:

another example of seeing something everywhere until you actually need it--then you can't find it anywhere! i'm looking for beef/ox tongue (whole). any leads??

i saw some frozen ones at T&T, but i was looking for fresh. plus the frozen ones seemed a little expensive for what people might consider to be a "reject" cut (over $20 for one tongue...$5.99/lb).

i'm planning on simmering it in soy sauce, slicing then finishing off on a grill for extra pizzazz, and eating with a hot bowl of rice with barley mixed in.

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

another example of seeing something everywhere until you actually need it--then you can't find it anywhere! i'm looking for beef/ox tongue (whole). any leads??

i saw some frozen ones at T&T, but i was looking for fresh. plus the frozen ones seemed a little expensive for what people might consider to be a "reject" cut (over $20 for one tongue...$5.99/lb).

i'm planning on simmering it in soy sauce, slicing then finishing off on a grill for extra pizzazz, and eating with a hot bowl of rice with barley mixed in.

I've seen fresh ones from time to time at the Metrotown and Richmond T&T's. Maybe it is a matter of hit and miss? Or try Crystal Mall in Burnaby, they've got a few butcher shops there. Or Chinatown, but having spent much time there I don't know of a particular shop.