• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

I would be eternally grateful to anyone who can suggest where I can find a simple electric citrus juicer (Braun or Black and Decker). They are usually under $20. and seem to last forever (or almost as mine just gave up the ghost).

I've been to London Drugs, Canadian Tire, The Bay, Zellers, Sears, T&T, Linens and Things and a couple of other places. It seems like this category of appliance is not as popular as it used to be. The closest one I've found so far is the Cuisinart juicer for about $39. but it doesn't seem very sturdy.

Suggestions? Thanks.

I've picked up old fashioned glass ones (non electric) at used good stores for $5, and they work great.  Beleive it or not, the wooden one from ikea cost a couple of bucks and also works great. 

There is a proctor silex one at london drugs here for $15.

Thanks for the suggestion on the manual ones. I have one for backup but at times I can go through some serious quantities of oranges and lemons and I'd have carpal tunnel in no time at all.

The Proctor Silex gets pretty mixed reviews on Amazon as does the Cuisinart juicer.

Thanks Irish for the Superstore suggestion. I'll check on that although I'm still hoping for my tried and true Braun or B&D.

Thanks for all the advice on finding either a Braun or Black and Decker Juicer. My search is over - the Braun is no longer made (perhaps because it was too good and never needed to be replaced). The Black and Decker juicer is non existent in the Vancouver market, there is only the poorly rated Proctor Silex as a replacement in most stores. I even searched a couple of the Goodwill style stores for a used one but no dice.

So this is what I bought :Breville juicer This is far more than I wanted as it is large and needs to be moved on and off the counter vs tucked under a shelf when out of use, but.....time was running out and the red version of this was on sale at Home Outfitters for $70. vs $175. for the silver model (seems that the red model is only available in Canada and has not sold as well). It is an amazing machine as it is really quiet and very efficient. I juice my oranges for the peel quite often and it not only does that but 80% of the time it removes all the membrane thus saving me a ton of time in doing this manually. Much as I hate to admit it this was the way to go and would even work in a professional setting.

• 2 weeks later...

I am doing research on the Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker. I was going to buy a Lagostina at a cheaper price but don't want to pass up on options I didn't know exist.

I know they have them in Vancouver and the price is a little high. Can someone suggest a retailer that carry an assortment of these pressure cookers at a good price?

Do those small Asian retailers carry them (such as the ones in Chinatown or Richmond?)

Thanks.

Edited by maxmillan (log)

The popular Chinese item is the Thermal Cooker. You put a pot onto the stove and make your soup or whatever and then you stick the whole pot in a giant metal thermal sleeve which keeps the contents hot for hours (2-3). Great way to slow cook something without the need for having it plugged in all day. Only works on things that don't need a constant temperature which would require an active heat source.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

The following topic reminded me of my childhood.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=99451

I wonder if anyone know where I can buy freshly squeezed cane juice. I drank this as a child in Brazil. I've tried the canned stuff and it tastes horrible.

In Brazil they had vendors that used a special squeezing machine where they fed sugar canes through rollers and juice came out into a cup. It operated very much like the old fashion washing machines that had a rolling mechanism to squeeze wet washed clothes.

I also snacked on sugar cane sticks. These were fresh shaved sticks of sugar canes and I chewed on it like gum and savoured the juices. Where and when can one find this in the Lower Mainland?

You can find fresh sugar cane in Chinese markets - especially in the cooler months. My mom used make tea by boiling sugar cane in hot water. It was thought to be especially useful for counteracting all the "heating" foods that one usually eats in the Winter. I really liked this sugar cane tea.

The sugar cane had a dark eggplant colored outer husk that was peeled away to reveal greenish white fibres.

I don't think its that hard to find - check in with T&T and see what they say.

In Brazil they had vendors that used a special squeezing machine where they fed sugar canes through rollers and juice came out into a cup.  It operated very much like the old fashion washing machines that had a rolling mechanism to squeeze wet washed clothes.

Growing up in Malaysia, my grandmother had one of those machines! Every Sunday, we'd drive for an hour to visit them, and were always greeted with fresh sugar cane juice. :smile:

Quentina

The popular Chinese item is the Thermal Cooker.  You put a pot onto the stove and make your soup or whatever and then you stick the whole pot in a giant metal thermal sleeve which keeps the contents hot for hours (2-3).  Great way to slow cook something without the need for having it plugged in all day.  Only works on things that don't need a constant temperature which would require an active heat source.

Those thermal cookers are GREAT! They're called "jee moh boh"s in Cantonese, literally "child mother pots" because you put the pot ("child") into the thermal sleeve ("mother"). We use them to make soup, congee, and braises. We still use our pressure cooker to make soup sometimes though.

I have an unfortunate story about pressure cookers :hmmm: Once, the valve on our pressure cooker was cracked. My parents had put the soup on as usual and went grocery shopping. Home alone, I was quietly watching tv when I heard a weird sound coming from the kitchen. I tentatively walked to the kitchen...and was greeted with the sight of soup spraying EVERYWHERE from the tiny broken valve! I had NO idea what to do, so I donned some oven gloves and put the spewing soup into the sink. Meanwhile, the soup was shooting out like a geyser onto the ceiling, the floor, the window (which was in front of the sink), the curtains, and my clothes. When I finally figured that I had to open that arm thing on the pot, the soup was everywhere... :angry:

The following topic reminded me of my childhood.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=99451

I wonder if anyone know where I can buy freshly squeezed cane juice.  I drank this as a child in Brazil. I've tried the canned stuff and it tastes horrible.

In Brazil they had vendors that used a special squeezing machine where they fed sugar canes through rollers and juice came out into a cup.  It operated very much like the old fashion washing machines that had a rolling mechanism to squeeze wet washed clothes.

Before our favourite Bahn Mi place on Kingsway (and Clark, I think) called Kent was turned into a Dosa Palace about 9 months ago, they used to serve cane juice freshly squeezed to order with the the exact machine as described. I would not be surprised if other Vietnamese Bahn Mi places along Kingsway or surrounding area serve similar treats.

I am doing research on the Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker.  I was going to buy a Lagostina at a cheaper price but don't want to pass up on options I didn't know exist.

I know they have them in Vancouver and the price is a little high.  Can someone suggest a retailer that carry an assortment of these pressure cookers at a good price?

Do those small Asian retailers carry them (such as the ones in Chinatown or Richmond?)

Thanks.

I found a comparable pressure cooker on this site:

http://www.wellscan.ca/cdn-site/pcookers_cdn.htm

These Chef's Design are much lower in price and the good thing is they are located in Burnaby so you can shop in person or have it mailed to you.

Derek, on another thread kindly informed me of this site which sells Kuhn Rikon:

http://citychef.ca/xcart/customer/home.php?cat=320

They are located in Richmond and they replied that you can pick up your order in person. However, they do deliver for free (which is inclusive in the price. Be aware of the refund policy****)

Thanks to everyone for your response.

i'm looking for a ribbon-shaped cookie cutter, something similar to the breast cancer ribbon.

does anyone know of a shop that sells a wide variety of cutters in the lower mainland? (other than ming wo chinatown - i've tried, no luck)

thanks in advance...

Any idea on where to find Passionfruits in town?

They're a pretty regular item in the 'Marketplace IGA' on Broadway at Maple. Maybe call the store nearest you and ask if the Produce manager if they have/can get them?