• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

Believe or not - Costco carries the same kind of truffles. The boxes look very much the same and I know they taste the same (having sampling both) - plus they are great value for money at Costco. Seriously - they are very good - they come in the same gold foil pouches (I suspect that they are the same product).

Otherwise - Wholefoods carries a organic house version. Have not tasted them though - so I cannot comment on how good they are.

Donald's Market on Commercial had several kinds of truffles in these types of boxes near the cashiers, on sale, earlier this week. I'm sorry but I can't confirm they had these specific ones (trying to avoid candy atm!), but maybe one of them would be a suitable substitute.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

my mother received a box of Truffettes de France truffles for christmas while down in SFO, brought them home, and my friends and i DEVOURED them over new year's eve.  :blush:

i now owe her a box.

my unsuccessful attempts at finding another box have been at the following:

-meinhardt

-capers (w. 4th / cambie st.)

-choices (w. 16th / shannon station)

-urban fare

-safeway

-iga

-T&T, richmond

-shoppers

-zellers

these little guys are by no means gourmet, nor are they expensive, but i can't seem to track them down anywhere.  this has now become a bit of a quest. 

YVR egullet-ers: has anyone seen them around?  and what should my next plan of attack be?

any advice would be appreciated.

Costco I think.

no luck at costco downtown...

the only truffles at Patisserie Bordeaux were the ones that they make in-house. the last time i had visited must have been 10+ years ago and i forgot how wonderful it is there. the chausson and the pear frangipane didn't get a chance make it home for a picture op. :raz:

no luck at costco downtown...

the only truffles at Patisserie Bordeaux were the ones that they make in-house.  the last time i had visited must have been 10+ years ago and i forgot how wonderful it is there.  the chausson and the pear frangipane didn't get a chance make it home for a picture op.  :raz:

These are indeed a Costco item; I saw them a few weeks back at the downtown location for sure because I had a box in my hand then my willpower kicked in and I put it back.

In Southern Ontario we have a clearance place in Milton called Bomar where stuff from costco goes for clearance. So end of season or scratch and dent stuff. I recall seeing the Belgian truffles costco was carrying a couple of years ago there after the christmas season. Perhaps Vancouver has such a place as well and you might find the truffles there. Don't know how you would find out though.

gallery_38570_2980_1562.jpg

Iam guessing these are the ones? You can order them online:

http://astore.amazon.com/cuteseller08-20/detail/B000J2JW6W

I dont think costco have any left but just call their richmond store and ask.

yes indeed! those are the ones!!! too bad i can't just pluck them from my screen. :huh:

i think i'll save myself the trouble of driving around everywhere and just order them from amazon. (absolutely brilliant! thanks D90!) and at $10 and change US for 2.2lbs ain't too shabby.

thank you to and everyone for all of your suggestions. they were very much appreciated.

Where can I buy veal cheeks?

Market Meats on W. 4th in Kits (just across from Safeway) will bring them in as a special order (usually takes a day or so). I bought mine for New Years $10./lb (3 lb minimum), not cheap but very nice quality and if you're going to all the trouble of braising them you might as well do some up to freeze. Otherwise I would imagine that the butcher shops in Granville Island could do the same.

Try the Vietnamese grocery stores along Kingsway around Clark, that's where we found our filters. Also Ming Wo carries them, but at twice the price of a Vietnamese grocery. The coffee and the condensed milk are available at any Chinese supermarket.

p.s. We freeze bags of the condensed milk after opening the tin in baggies, saves waste, ensures you've always got milk available. Ice cube trays would probably be even better.

There are also a few stores on Victoria Drive past Kingsway. I recommend the Trung Nguyen brand of coffee. I've tried a few other brands but none were as good as the TN.

The condensed milk keeps fine in the fridge for months on end (in a plastic container), although it can crystallize a tiny bit.

Timely thread, I need to make a run myself.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

does anyone know where I can get rendered chicken and/or duck fat?

I've seen duck fat at Oyama on Granville Island.

Definitely at Oyama (God bless them!) ... or go to your friendly neighbourhood butcher and order in some duck trimmings and render it yourself. Dead easy and way cheaper. Keeps like a hot damn in the freezer.

I ordered my last duck trimmings from Windsor Meats on Main. Just be sure the stuff is fresh as I received some rancid bits from them once.

A.