• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

A friend recently introduced me to "Luc Bergeron's Number 3 Dark" maple syrup that she picked up on Granville Island (I've only ever had the light stuff you find here in the US), and now I need to get some of my own, because "my god, why did nobody every tell me????" :wub:

I meant to post this earlier, but hopefully it's not too late... I'll be up in Vancouver for a fairly overbooked trip this weekend, so we will not have a chance to swing by the GI mkt, but will be passing through the Downtown, Chinatown, and we usually leave town by taking Main street down through Little India Anyplace where I could find a similar good dark maple syrup in any of those locales?

I gotta have another fix man! :biggrin:

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Looking for a source of Cocoa powder-no sugar.

The wonderful product someone brought me from the DR is about gone-it's so smooooooth. :wub:

Hope to replicate it with something unique and soothing.

TIA

Capers has some great stuff in a black tin. Can't think of the name right now. It's free-trade though, but I can't assert that there weren't any CSB killed in the process.

Gastronomista

I'm looking for "masa harina", which is, I believe, a latin corn flour. Any suggestions?

A couple of suggestions here .

In case the link doesn't work:

Where can I get freshly ground masa in Vancouver?

Thanks.

Zucchini Mama,

I saw Masa Harina (bulk in a bin/bucket) is available to purchase for $1.25/lb or $2.50 (IIRC)/kilo at La Salza Mexican Deli at 4140 East Hastings St. in Burnaby today. Their phone number is 604 299-6485. There was another item beside it in a matching bucket, but I can't remember what it was, I was concentrating on remembering the Masa.

Thanks a bunch, cayenne. I actually found some at La Sureno on the Drive. They carry a treasure trove of Latin American ingredients. I made some champurrado with some masa harina, and am going to try tamales too.

This post has been edited by Zucchini Mama: Mar 22 2006, 10:09 AM

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

I'm looking for "masa harina", which is, I believe, a latin corn flour. Any suggestions?

A couple of suggestions here .

In case the link doesn't work:

Where can I get freshly ground masa in Vancouver?

Thanks.

Zucchini Mama,

I saw Masa Harina (bulk in a bin/bucket) is available to purchase for $1.25/lb or $2.50 (IIRC)/kilo at La Salza Mexican Deli at 4140 East Hastings St. in Burnaby today. Their phone number is 604 299-6485. There was another item beside it in a matching bucket, but I can't remember what it was, I was concentrating on remembering the Masa.

Thanks a bunch, cayenne. I actually found some at La Sureno on the Drive. They carry a treasure trove of Latin American ingredients. I made some champurrado with some masa harina, and am going to try tamales too.

This post has been edited by Zucchini Mama: Mar 22 2006, 10:09 AM

Thanks for your help :biggrin: !

Derek

Has anyone seen any locally made end-grain cutting boards around?

Why locally made Anne?

If not for the local aspect, I'd suggest Cook Works and such places. Otherwise, you may want to contact Paragon Manufacturing in Richmond. They typically do entire countertops, but may be able to help with the cutting boards.

A.

Has anyone seen any locally made end-grain cutting boards around?

Why locally made Anne?

If not for the local aspect, I'd suggest Cook Works and such places. Otherwise, you may want to contact Paragon Manufacturing in Richmond. They typically do entire countertops, but may be able to help with the cutting boards.

A.

I just thought it would be interesting to find a locally made product.

I'm familiar with the Cookworks selection, but it occurred to me that we have a burgeoning wood craft industry in BC and thought I'd see if such a thing exists. There's a vendor that regularly comes to Granville Island with cutting boards made from big leaf maple, but I've never seen end grain boards.

Thanks for the tip on Paragon.

Cheers,

Anne

i have a whole bunch of recipes for eastern european christmas goodies that i'm hoping to bake this year.

my mother always had a big jar of baking ammonia in the freezer, but with her on the other side of the country, i'm at a loss for where to find the stuff.

any help would be much appreciated.

perhaps i could share some of the bounty when the production's finished.

thanks!

Sorry sam - I am confused - is what you are looking for unsweetened cocoa powder?  Or sugar free cocoa mix?

I meant unsweetened cocoa mix.

TIA

Saw this at Choices yesterday. It's not cheap mind you ($14.99 / can) but it may be worth a try.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking for a tall brioche-like mold for making those light fluffy cakes that are sold in Chinese bakeries. The mold should be fluted like a 3 inch diameter brioche tin but taller, about 5 inches.

Anyone who has eaten this angel food-like cake may know what I'm talking about. I don't even know what the Chinese bakeries use. Does it open from the side? Does it have a removable bottom?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

This may seem a bit odd, but I'm looking for low-grade olive oil in bulk (by the gallon, maybe). Cheap is the operative word here. No, I'm not wanting to make terrible food, but decent soap. My wife and I have gotten into making homemade castille soap, and since it's not for consumption I think an olive oil/pomace blend should be fine. We made some soap with decent EVOO and it turned out well, but each bar gets very expensive. Any ideas where we can order a big jug on the cheap?

Thanks

Edited by Sylphid (log)

I'm looking for a tall brioche-like mold for making those light fluffy cakes that are sold in Chinese bakeries.  The mold should be fluted like a 3 inch diameter brioche tin but taller, about 5 inches. 

Anyone who has eaten this angel food-like cake may know what I'm talking about.  I don't even know what the Chinese bakeries use.  Does it open from the side?  Does it have a removable bottom?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Max

You may want to check out some of the restaurant supply places on E Hastings (Strathcona end - just west of Pink Pearl). I think a couple of them specialize in Chinese supplies. The other thing is to ask a bakery like Michelle's or Keefer.

There's a guy on afa (alt.food.asian) who has been looking for mei gan tsai aka gan cai sun for about a month now. He has looked all over Oakland and Portland, OR, and will be in Vancouver for a bit on business so he's wondering if he can get some there. He says:

This description is from Bruce Cost: "Gan-cai-sun (dried, fermented

vegetables): The simple combination of bamboo shoots and mustard greens

is transformed by a method of salting and curing that has been

practiced in China for some 2,000 years. Gan-cai-sun looks and smells

like a black tea and adds an intensely earthy flavor to steamed meats

and broths. To use, rinse the vegetables of their saltiness. Look for

them in stores specializing in foods from Shanghai or Hangzhou."

There is a photo here:

http://www.diaryofafoodie.org/kitchen-notebook/1/1.html

It is the very distinctive blue box at the top of the photo.

I would think Richmond would be a good place to find some. Does anyone here know anything about where to get this stuff, so I can pass along the info to him? Even names of grocery stores that might specialize in Shanghai or Hangzhou foods would be of help, so he could at least call them.

my mother received a box of Truffettes de France truffles for christmas while down in SFO, brought them home, and my friends and i DEVOURED them over new year's eve. :blush:

i now owe her a box.

my unsuccessful attempts at finding another box have been at the following:

-meinhardt

-capers (w. 4th / cambie st.)

-choices (w. 16th / shannon station)

-urban fare

-safeway

-iga

-T&T, richmond

-shoppers

-zellers

these little guys are by no means gourmet, nor are they expensive, but i can't seem to track them down anywhere. this has now become a bit of a quest.

YVR egullet-ers: has anyone seen them around? and what should my next plan of attack be?

any advice would be appreciated.