• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

I keep hoping to find them but never do...but maybe this will help...

The best way to peel them is to bring a pot of water to a boil and blanch them for a minute or so, then shock them in cold water.  Skins slip right off.  I do a big bunch, then freeze them on a cookie sheet and throw them in a zippie.  Easy to do a whole years supply in about 30 minutes.  Was happy this year to find red, yellow and white ones, so I have a nice mix.

Oh thank you, I picked some up on the weekend for my stew, but decided to give them a miss, as the reality of all those little peels became overwhelming :laugh:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Does anyone know where I can buy medium sugar? Any bakery supply stores that are open to the public?

I'm not sure what "medium sugar" is and I can't find a definition on google but Galloways stocks many different types of sugar and would be worth a call.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Does anyone know where to get those long, thick pretzel sticks that could be dipped in chocolate? I thought it might be a fun, easy project for my daughters.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Does anyone know where I can buy medium sugar? Any bakery supply stores that are open to the public?

I'm not sure what "medium sugar" is and I can't find a definition on google but Galloways stocks many different types of sugar and would be worth a call.

Medium Sugar

Medium Sugar is an extremely versatile bold screened sugar. It can provide crunch, visual definition and mouth-feel when used as surface decoration for biscuits; and high shine and surface texture on pastilles and jellies. Medium sugar can also be used as an ingredient to control the spread and surface texture of biscuits

Found this definition on a web site for British Sugar..maybe it goes by another name too. Will call Galloways..thanks

Try the farmers markWinter Farmers Market at the Wise Hall

1882 Adanac St at Victoria Drive.

10am - 2pm- First Saturday of the month - November 4, December 2, January 6/07, February 3/07, March 3/07, April 7/07 et first Saturday of the month in East Van.

Gastronomista

I'm in need of a new pair of kitchen clogs, any idea where to get them? I've previously gotten them from that Swedish store on 4th, but am looking for something else. I've heard people like Dansko, where can I find those in the big city?

Medium sugar is also known as Coarse Sugar or Sanding Sugar.  Hope this helps your search. I get it from Snowcap thru work, so I'm not too familar with where you can get it retail. However, I think I saw it  at Famous foods....you may want to check there.

D.

Thanks for confirming this Chocklateer..Galloways website has sanding sugar (thanks Cdn Bakin) I'll keep Famous foods in mind though. I appreciate the help.

I'm in need of a new pair of kitchen clogs, any idea where to get them? I've previously gotten them from that Swedish store on 4th, but am looking for something else. I've heard people like Dansko, where can I find those in the big city?

Many places.

http://www.dansko.com/Shop_Finder/RetailLocator.aspx

House of Clogs had a decent selection last time I looked.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Does anyone know where to get those long, thick pretzel sticks that could be dipped in chocolate? I thought it might be a fun, easy project for my daughters.

Tina... I get them at Save-On! The ones I get are Snyder's of Hanover brand. They are with the chips and usually at the back of the topmost shelf in the most inconvenient spot ever. They have the giant rods, which is what I prefer as I dip them first in homemade caramel and then in chocolate and then in chopped nuts. They also have something called Dipping Sticks, which are smaller but made for dipping. I have only seen those once tho. They also have the ones that look like a grid, which are a great base for a chocolate bar style thing I do with by first dipping in caramel, then rolling in nuts, then topping with a slab of marshmallow, then dipping in chocolate.

If you ever go across the line to Lynden, the Safeway there is an excellent source of these types of things. A veritable treasure trove of snack food and the most amazing frozen food section ever!

Edited by Badiane (log)

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Tina... I get them at Save-On! The ones I get are Snyder's of Hanover brand. They are with the chips and usually at the back of the topmost shelf in the most inconvenient spot ever. They have the giant rods, which is what I prefer as I dip them first in homemade caramel and then in chocolate and then in chopped nuts. They also have something called Dipping Sticks, which are smaller but made for dipping. I have only seen those once tho. They also have the ones that look like a grid, which are a great base for a chocolate bar style thing I do with by first dipping in caramel, then rolling in nuts, then topping with a slab of marshmallow, then dipping in chocolate.

If you ever go across the line to Lynden, the Safeway there is an excellent source of these types of things. A veritable treasure trove of snack food and the most amazing frozen food section ever!

Thanks Badiane!! And best of all, I'll only have to drive 5 minutes to get them instead of having to head into Vancouver. :) Your pretzel ideas sound great. How thick is your caramel? Is it very thick sauce or firmer?

I use a recipe that will actually set up into caramels if poured in a pan and left to cool. It's pretty standard with condensed milk and corn syrup, sugar and butter cooked to I believe the hard ball stage. Of course I coat the pretzels when it's warm, so it's like a thick sauce. I let them drip off a bit, then cool on parchment. Before I dip them in chocolate I roll them between my hands to get them back into a round shape and sort of smoosh the caramel evenly around.

Of course if you have neither time, patience or energy for that, some melted commercial caramels or some Macintosh toffee zapped in the microwave works just as well. I have done both and it works fine.

Have you been into Langley and checked out "Well Seasoned"? We went last weekend finally and it's a great little shop. There is also a wonderful new bakery there, on Logan across from the pub but I can't get my brain around the name of it.

Scott Stratten

I use a recipe that will actually set up into caramels if poured in a pan and left to cool.  It's pretty standard with condensed milk and corn syrup, sugar and butter cooked to I believe the hard ball stage.  Of course I coat the pretzels when it's warm, so it's like a thick sauce.  I let them drip off a bit, then cool on parchment.  Before I dip them in chocolate I roll them between my hands to get them back into a round shape and sort of smoosh the caramel evenly around. 

Of course if you have neither time, patience or energy for that, some melted commercial caramels or some Macintosh toffee zapped in the microwave works just as well.  I have done both and it works fine. 

Have you been into Langley and checked out "Well Seasoned"?  We went last weekend finally and it's a great little shop.  There is also a wonderful new bakery there, on Logan across from the pub but I can't get my brain around the name of it.

Thanks for the instructions. Although I love experimenting, due to a lack of energy I think I'll go with the commercial caramels this year. Sounds delish!!

We did check out Well Seasoned a couple months ago and really liked their shop. I picked up some food grade lavendar and some smoked paprika, both of which I haven't seen in Mission. It's good to know there's somewhere closer than Vancouver for unique food items.

I'm not familiar with the bakery. If you happen to think of the name, please let me know.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

I made a quick call to Angie at Well Seasoned...

The bakery is called 'A Bread Affair' and it's on Logan. You take the 200th St. exit and where you would normally turn right on Langley By-Pass you just keep going straight until you hit Logan and then turn left. Follow the road around the curve and you will see the bakery on the left across from a big pub.

I looked it up on google and apparently they simultaneously opened a location on Denman Street. Or at least a place of the same name opened up the same day. Can't be a coincidence. It was great - artisinal sourdoughs from an old grape starter. Lots of variety in flavours from curry to chocolate cherry. And the pastries looked divine. They also make sticky buns 'the size of your head' but they were already sold out by the time we got there. We just happened to be in Well Seasoned when they came in to say they were open and drop off some samples or we never would have known.

Of course we have a foot of snow here in Chilliwack - I'm sure you have even more - and I am making my own bread today.

Scott Stratten

I made a quick call to Angie at Well Seasoned...

The bakery is called 'A Bread Affair' and it's on Logan.  You take the 200th St. exit and where you would normally turn right on Langley By-Pass you just keep going straight until you hit Logan and then turn left.  Follow the road around the curve and you will see the bakery on the left across from a big pub. 

I looked it up on google and apparently they simultaneously opened a location on Denman Street.  Or at least a place of the same name opened up the same day.  Can't be a coincidence.  It was great - artisinal sourdoughs from an old grape starter.  Lots of variety in flavours from curry to chocolate cherry.  And the pastries looked divine.  They also make sticky buns 'the size of your head' but they were already sold out by the time we got there.  We just happened to be in Well Seasoned when they came in to say they were open and drop off some samples or we never would have known.

Of course we have a foot of snow here in Chilliwack - I'm sure you have even more - and I am making my own bread today.

Thanks for checking that out for me! I don't get out to Langley too often right now but I'll keep the name in my purse so I've got it handy next time we're there. We really don't have any great bakeries in Mission or Abbotsford so I'll have to stock up when I go there.