• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

Hello folks! I'm going to be needing some quince this October.. Any idea where I can get some? Preferably something local?  Thanks for your help!

There are loads of fresh quince at the Red Apple Market, 4170 East Hastings Street, Burnaby (604) 299-6544. They've got a huge assortment of Okanagan apples too, I think there were at least eight different types, lovely, fresh, no wax, just the way they should be, and they taste sooo good. It's a great store for vegetables too, amazing assortment of lettuces, (stuff you'd never see at the chain stores) and peppers, and green grapes labelled as Italian, grapes as they should be, locally grown, sweet, delicious and with seeds. Great store, I love stores like this!!! :smile:

Edited by ~cayenne~ (log)

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Where on Vancouver Island are you located ? There are a number of options.

Memo - in the curry with the fringe on top

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

I'm currently in Duncan but I move around the island regularly so anywhere is really an option. I guess I don't get north of Parksville as much as I am anywhere there and south.

Where on Vancouver Island are you located ? There are a number of options.

Memo - in the curry with the fringe on top

Can anyone point out where I can buy a professional apple peeler that also core and slice the apples? I see one that can be ordered online but prefer to buy in a shop.

This is for work so it will go through a lot of of apples and the $20+ models that are sold in stores breaks every couple of weeks.

Do any of the wholesalers sell them?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
last i checked they had ancho chilis, but not powder.  i suppose i could grind them up

I was just about to suggest that. I have a little Braun unit I picked up for $10 at a 2nd hand store. I grind all my own spices now.

A.

To answer my own question, I just found they sell it at Casa De Amigos on Granville near 70th. $2.35 per 100g. Fragrant and fresh smelling. So there's one reason to go there.

Jason

Editor

EatVancouver.net

Can anyone point out where I can buy a professional apple peeler that also core and slice the apples?  I see one that can be ordered online but prefer to buy in a shop.

This is for work so it will go through a lot of of apples and the $20+ models that are sold in stores breaks every couple of weeks.

Do any of the wholesalers sell them?

Thanks.

While in the range of your $20+ models, have you taken a look at the one from Lee Valley? Their stuff is usually pretty good quality. You can go to one of their stores to check it out, and that would take care of your buying-in-a-shop preference.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking for an ice pack/cooler pack that is cylindrical in shape to hold wine.

What I want to do with it is to hold my fruit smoothie so I don't have to keep putting it back into the fridge.

The only place I've seen it is in mail catalogues and they are pricey. They shouldn't be expensive as they are only ice/cooler packs. I checked the kitchen stores and I couldn't find any. I checked the liquor stores and they no longer carry them. I haven't checked the private wine stores but before I expend any more gas money, can someone direct me to a place where I can find one for sure?

Thanks.

I'm looking for an ice pack/cooler pack that is cylindrical in shape to hold wine. 

What I want to do with it is to hold my fruit smoothie so I don't have to keep putting it back into the fridge.

The only place I've seen it is in mail catalogues and they are pricey.  They shouldn't be expensive as they are only ice/cooler packs.  I checked the kitchen stores and I couldn't find any.  I checked the liquor stores and they no longer carry them.  I haven't checked the private wine stores but before I expend any more gas money, can someone direct me to a place where I can find one for sure?

Thanks.

Taking a wild guess here, have you tried checking MEC, (online or phone them)?

Their site here.

Edited by ~cayenne~ (log)

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Does anyone know where I can buy fresh yeast? Van.BBY area..thanks

I only use fresh yeast and always pick mine up at La Grotta Del Formaggio at 1791 Commercial Drive. Their telephone number is 604 255 3911. You can give them a call first. :smile:

Edited by capers (log)

I made coq au vin yesterday. The recipe, in Cooks Illustrated, said that I could use frozen peeled pearl onions. Since pearl onions are a bit of a pain to peel, I thought this was a great idea, but I couldn't find them in Safeway or Supervalu. Are they available in Canada, or is this an American convenience we don't have?

The coq au vin, by the way, was great. But it must have taken 20 minutes to peel those darn little onions.

Paul B

I keep hoping to find them but never do...but maybe this will help...

The best way to peel them is to bring a pot of water to a boil and blanch them for a minute or so, then shock them in cold water. Skins slip right off. I do a big bunch, then freeze them on a cookie sheet and throw them in a zippie. Easy to do a whole years supply in about 30 minutes. Was happy this year to find red, yellow and white ones, so I have a nice mix.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten