• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

Ummm, where do I find puy lentils?  Preferably someplace westside - still can't drive . . .

Capers has them, I think. Granville Island.

Capers had everything but. Where on Granville Island?

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Ummm, where do I find puy lentils?  Preferably someplace westside - still can't drive . . .

The bulk foods place:

The Grainery

#129 - 1689 Johnston St.

Vancouver, BC

V6H 3R9

604-681-6426 Tel

604-943-6401 Fax

Cheers,

Anne

The bulk foods place:

The Grainery

#129 - 1689 Johnston St.

Vancouver, BC

V6H 3R9

604-681-6426 Tel

604-943-6401 Fax

Thanks Anne!

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

The bulk foods place:

The Grainery

#129 - 1689 Johnston St.

Vancouver, BC

V6H 3R9

604-681-6426 Tel

604-943-6401 Fax

Thanks Anne!

Call first, but I'm sure I've purchased them there. Sorry to hear you are still not healed.

Cheers,

Anne

Look for them in middle eastern markets in your area.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Does anybody know of a local source for ume or Japanese apricot?

These are hard green apricot/plums used for pickling, or in my case, to make Japanese plum wine (umeshu). My wife recently brought me some that was made by her mother, and I'm rapidly getting addicted to the stuff.

Has anybody seen it at H Mart (Hanahreum)?

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

The Apple Guy from Denman Island grows quinces. He has a stand at the Trout Lake Farmers' Market and used to show up at Granville Island in previous years. I asked him about the quince season on Saturday and he told me it was going to be a good harvest ... not ready yet, though.

Rover

Where do you get quinces? From my front yard. I have a quince tree that produces a good amount of fruit and you're welcome to all of it. It should be ripe in two to three weeks. Email me directly and I'll give you directions. Will gladly accept a culinary treat in trade.

Paul B

I remember Chef getting some at work last year.  I don't think it's quite time for it yet.  Like Island grown kiwi, doesn't salsify need a good frost first?  I doubt it's much of a commercial crop, but your local farmers market should have some soon-ish.  I will keep my eyes peeled around these parts.  Saanich Organics (a co-op of organic producers) delivers some pretty unusual produce in the winter.

I had my first Jerusalem artichokes last week, from a garden down the road from my house.  They have a community market Wednesday from 3-6 (Rayn or Shine :) and I will inquire if they are producing any salsify.  Not exactly Vancouver, but close!

-- Matt.

edited to add URL, way off topic but interesting for local folk

Vic West Community Garden

I'm a local folk, and I'm wondering if this Wednesday market still exists? The link does not. I'm SO into the local markets...(and I'm growing my own lumpy bumpy sunchokes, but no salsify).

Jude

I'm a local folk, and I'm wondering if this Wednesday market still exists?  The link does not.  I'm SO into the local markets...(and I'm growing my own lumpy bumpy sunchokes, but no salsify).

Strange, I wonder what happened to the domain?

Yes, the market is getting bigger as the months go by. All summer there has been at least three vendors. It's a production of the Vic West Food Security Collective, and the organizer, Lee, runs the main stand. Over the summer there has been a good selection of local produce, but I wish there had been more of an emphasis on local goods.

Hours are Wednesdays, 2-6 pm. Last year the hours were adjusted as it got darker, earlier.

While there, check out the community garden in the parking lot behind Spiral Cafe. The only rules to growing are it must be edible and organic and always in use. Pretty neat!

-- Matt.

Anyone know where to find Wasabi Tobiko?  I checked Fujiya without luck ....

I'd give Angel Seafoods a call, although I can't recall ever seeing it there.

You may also want to check out Izumi-Ya Japanese Marketplace in Richmond.  Ph:604-303-9946

Thanks! I'll give both places a try. :smile:

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone seen either pineapple sage or pineapple mint at the markets?

I have bought pineapple mint plants all over the place- I think even Home Depot will have it.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Has anyone seen either pineapple sage or pineapple mint at the markets?

Not at the markets - but I've got a healthy four-foot-high mass of it growing in my garden.

If you're ever on the Island - I can give you a root of it. (Or a handful of sprigs).

Memo, to be a sage is kinda mint (don't-ya think?)

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

I was asked where the one stop shopping for Mexican goods might be these days and beyond the few items fresh and canned at South China Seas, I hate to say I don't know. Any ideas?

I buy fresh there, stock up on certain items when I can and stock up in Mexico so I'm a sad source of knowledge.

Adding with much embarrasement that I thought I was posting in the "resource" thread.

My apologies to all.

Edited by Glenys (log)

Mercado El Sureno en la Impulsión Comercial tiene una gran selección de los artículos mexicanos para la despensa.

Mags también a de **** más.

Fresco!

El Sureno Market on Commercial Drive has a great selection of Mexican items for the pantry.

***** mags a plus.

Fresh!

Memo, hello / hola

Edited by Memo (log)

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

Mercado El Sureno en la Impulsión Comercial tiene una gran selección de los artículos mexicanos para la despensa.

Mags también a de **** más.

Fresco!

El Sureno Market on Commercial Drive has a great selection of Mexican items for the pantry.

***** mags a plus.

Fresh!

Memo,  hello / hola

gracias