• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

Hi all.  I'm a long-time lurker, first time poster.   :smile:  I've enjoyed browsing through all these topics and have discovered lots of new places to try (sadly for my waistline).

I've tried searching through previous threads but haven't found what I'm looking for.  I'm wondering where I can purchase packaging for cookies/cakes so that stuff I make and give away can look more presentable.  Maybe something like the plastic bags Thomas Haas' Sparkle Cookies come in, or even just those plain clamshell containers they use in supermarket bakeries.  Anyplace in the Vancouver/Richmond area would be much appreciated.

Another fun place for packaging is Creative Packaging in Burnaby. They don't have cake boxes specifically but all sorts of other neat things. I've used their 1 lb "Tin Ties" with a window for giving away cookies. They're really wax-lined coffee bags so they do a good job of keeping things fresh and they don't get grease spots on them. You can dress them up very easily with a bit of raffia or ribbon , etc.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

They mention showrooms on their website. Can you just go in and do a cash & carry sort of thing? You mention they didn't require minimums, does that mean you could buy just 10 of something or did you mean the value of your total order?

That's how it worked here - but I've never been to the one in Vancouver. They actually moved their showroom here a couple of years ago and I haven't been to the new place, so I'm not sure if it's the same as it was. Best bet would be to phone them.

I was also wondering if the minimum order on the website wasn't referring to the printing and not the actual products...

They mention showrooms on their website. Can you just go in and do a cash & carry sort of thing? You mention they didn't require minimums, does that mean you could buy just 10 of something or did you mean the value of your total order?

That's how it worked here - but I've never been to the one in Vancouver. They actually moved their showroom here a couple of years ago and I haven't been to the new place, so I'm not sure if it's the same as it was. Best bet would be to phone them.

I was also wondering if the minimum order on the website wasn't referring to the printing and not the actual products...

All the stuff I bought was cash and carry from the showroom - cellophane bags, food safe paper bags and ribbon. I can't remember what I paid, but it wasn't a huge amount.

I agree with Pam that you are best off to phone ahead to inquire, especially if you have a pretty good idea of what you want.

Cheers,

Anne

Another fun place for packaging is Creative Packaging in Burnaby. They don't have cake boxes specifically but all sorts of other neat things. I've used their 1 lb "Tin Ties" with a window for giving away cookies. They're really wax-lined coffee bags so they do a good job of keeping things fresh and they don't get grease spots on them. You can dress them up very easily with a bit of raffia or ribbon , etc.

Those tin ties look really fun. Hmmm...I should schedule a whole day just to visit all these packaging places. I was also thinking of trying The Gourmet Warehouse, but I'm not sure if they'll have what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Spring is here and I am wondering where to find some local spring produce. I went to the farmers market at Trout lake last weekend and picked up some mushrooms and greens, but I missed the rhubarb and didn't see the usual spring suspects - asparagus and fiddleheads. Where to go during the week to pick up?

Thanks!

Gastronomista

anybody know where to buy a muddler?

Are you serious?

Get thee to a Home Depot and ask them to cut you a 12" section of 1.5" diameter dowel. Muddle your brains out with that bad boy.

Now ... the industrious among us would figure out a way to market that akin to the "planking cedar" folk. Best marketing plan EVER!

A.

anybody know where to buy a muddler?

Are you serious?

Get thee to a Home Depot and ask them to cut you a 12" section of 1.5" diameter dowel. Muddle your brains out with that bad boy.

Now ... the industrious among us would figure out a way to market that akin to the "planking cedar" folk. Best marketing plan EVER!

A.

Thanks Daddy-A, that's a fine idea.

Jason

Editor

EatVancouver.net

Get thee to a Home Depot and ask them to cut you a 12" section of 1.5" diameter dowel.  Muddle your brains out with that bad boy.

Or you could just buy a muddler like I did this weekend :raz: . (if you were shopping in Winnipeg I could help you out)

Recently back from a trip to Italy, and I'm totally hooked on blood oranges. I've seen them from time to time in Vancouver, but on a walk up and down Commercial yesterday, no joy.

Can anyone fill me in on

a) when the local availability "season" for blood oranges is

b) where they can be bought right now in town?

Thanks!

Chris

I am looking for a pâté mold with collapsible sides for making pâté en croûte. Does anyone know where I can find a good quality mold? I have been to Russell and Cookworks, but they don't carry it. Ming Woo does have some for sale, but they don't look like they are very well made. After a bit of research on the Internet, I found out a company named Matfer makes some non-stick molds which would suit my application, but the problem is I have no idea where to get them in Vancouver. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Have you tried Pacific Restaurant Supply on Hastings? They special order alot of items with a quick turn around time.

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I did see some at the Pender Street Ming Wo a while back, otherwise I second Pacific Rest. Supply, I use them for my comercial needs and they are able to get most things I need.

Colin

Colin Dunn

Burnt Out Exec Chef

Does anyone know where I can get fresh duck eggs?

You can find fresh duck eggs at Pacific Exotic Meats, 130-8211 Westminster Highway, in the same mall as Tsim Chai Noodles. As the name suggests, they have all kinds of interesting exotic meats there. Not everything is labelled in English though, just ask the shopkeepers for help.

Spring is here and I am wondering where to find some local spring produce.  I went to the farmers market at Trout lake last weekend and picked up some mushrooms and greens, but I missed the rhubarb and didn't see the usual spring suspects - asparagus and fiddleheads.  Where to go during the week to pick up?

Thanks!

I saw fiddleheads about a week ago. Can't remember if it was at Kin's or Marketplace I.G.A., probably was Kin's. Maybe give either of them a call. Did you check any of the produce markets on Commercial or Broadway? :smile:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Does anyone have a reliable source for fresh horseradish? The sort of place where, if you have already planned the menu, you can just nip down and be sure they will have some?

Does anyone have a reliable source for fresh horseradish? The sort of place where, if you have already planned the menu, you can just nip down and be sure they will have some?

Save On Foods.

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon