• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

^The chocolate place is Theo (formerly Phinney 3000). Do you just need that issue of Seattle Magazine, or are you looking for a regular supply? If it's just that particular issue, I can probably get it for you.

Hi Ling; Yes just that issue as the article sounded quite interesting.

PM me if that works. Thanks!

I'm a HUGE popcorn freak! I love popping my own corn at home using one of those stovetop pots with the thing you turn in the handle. (example here) I don't actually have the real Whirley Pop brand one, just a cheapo Superstore knockoff, but it works fine.

The other day I found some organic popcorn at Famous Foods on Kingsway, and it turns out really good! Very nice airy crunch with no hard bits--unlike Orville Reddenbacher...I've tried Orville Hot Air and Regular using the stovetop popper, and it just turns out too moist, resulting in hard bits when you chew it. The organic stuff at Famous Foods was great!

I've also tried unpopped corn in bulk from Kernels (popcorn places you see at the mall) and it's slightly better than the Orville stuff, but the organic corn from FF pops up bigger and crisper :)

Now, can anyone tell me where to find extra-fine grind salt for popcorn? Supposedly it sticks better to popcorn than regular grind salt.

And yes, I do buy the flavour shakers from Kernels...Buffalo Wing is my fave.

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

Now, can anyone tell me where to find extra-fine grind salt for popcorn? Supposedly it sticks better to popcorn than regular grind salt.

flowbee

Have you tried grinding your own salt? We use fleur de sel in a Peugeot ginder that has an auger like device in it and find the salt sticks to popcorn very well. You can adjust the grind to quite fine. Just a suggestion.

have yet to meet a lemon tart I didn't like!

This is not exactly a food question, but it is a food-related question.

I am renovating my kitchen and looking at different backsplash options. Does anyone know a good source to supply and install a plate glass kitchen backsplash?

Thanks.

I am renovating my kitchen and looking at different backsplash options.  Does anyone know a good source to supply and install a plate glass kitchen backsplash? 

There's a place on Granville Island (down near the Hotel on the south side near Performance Works) that does architectural glass, including back splashes. I don't have the name handy, but you should be able to find it no problem. They're a bit pricey, but they do beautiful work.

To keep this food related, you could shop for food in the market after looking for your backsplash :raz:

A less expensive option would be to use glass tile ... something large like a 12x12 actually looks really nice. Not exactly what you're looking for, but after you get the quote on the plate glass you may want to consider it.

A.

I am renovating my kitchen and looking at different backsplash options.  Does anyone know a good source to supply and install a plate glass kitchen backsplash? 

There's a place on Granville Island (down near the Hotel on the south side near Performance Works) that does architectural glass, including back splashes. I don't have the name handy, but you should be able to find it no problem. They're a bit pricey, but they do beautiful work.

To keep this food related, you could shop for food in the market after looking for your backsplash :raz:

A less expensive option would be to use glass tile ... something large like a 12x12 actually looks really nice. Not exactly what you're looking for, but after you get the quote on the plate glass you may want to consider it.

A.

Arne, I think you must mean Joel Berman Glass Studios. Very nice work to be found there.

Cheers,

Anne

Anyone know a source for buying fermented tea leaves in Vancouver? I'm desperate to find some to make Burmese fermented tea leaf salad. Apparently made from green tea, but perhaps impossible to buy in North America?

Anyone know a source for buying fermented tea leaves in Vancouver? I'm desperate to find some to make Burmese fermented tea leaf salad. Apparently made from green tea, but perhaps impossible to buy in North America?

Have you tried any of the tea stores in the Asian malls, such as in Richmond, there seem to be quite a few of them available to peruse, but not sure if language may be an issue though ....

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

If you were a crazy man looking or Pomogranate Juice/sauce where would you look?  I want to make a persian dish tomorrow which I've been dreaming about!

T & T carries pomegrante juice/syrup. I use it for Middle Eastern dishes. I buy mine at a small deli in Surrey on K.George Hwy.

Greco's Specialty Foods

6886 K.George Hwy

Surrey, B.C.

Phone: 604-590-1644

Surrey's original mediterranean-middle eastern-european gourmet food store

hope this helps....its at a great price too

Never met a vegetable I never liked except well okra!

last i checked they had ancho chilis, but not powder.  i suppose i could grind them up

I was just about to suggest that. I have a little Braun unit I picked up for $10 at a 2nd hand store. I grind all my own spices now.

A.

Hi all. I'm a long-time lurker, first time poster. :smile: I've enjoyed browsing through all these topics and have discovered lots of new places to try (sadly for my waistline).

I've tried searching through previous threads but haven't found what I'm looking for. I'm wondering where I can purchase packaging for cookies/cakes so that stuff I make and give away can look more presentable. Maybe something like the plastic bags Thomas Haas' Sparkle Cookies come in, or even just those plain clamshell containers they use in supermarket bakeries. Anyplace in the Vancouver/Richmond area would be much appreciated.

last i checked they had ancho chilis, but not powder.  i suppose i could grind them up

Personally, I would grind them up, but Gourmet Warehouse likely has some Ancho powder. On the North Shore, Jalisco in the Lonsdale Quay market might have some too.

Mark.

I'm wondering where I can purchase packaging for cookies/cakes so that stuff I make and give away can look more presentable.  Maybe something like the plastic bags Thomas Haas' Sparkle Cookies come in, or even just those plain clamshell containers they use in supermarket bakeries. 

Try the yellow pages under packaging. Also, next time there is a food show at BC Place or the Trade & Convention center, you can go and visually see exactly what you like.

Hi all.  I'm a long-time lurker, first time poster.  :smile:  I've enjoyed browsing through all these topics and have discovered lots of new places to try (sadly for my waistline).

I've tried searching through previous threads but haven't found what I'm looking for.  I'm wondering where I can purchase packaging for cookies/cakes so that stuff I make and give away can look more presentable.  Maybe something like the plastic bags Thomas Haas' Sparkle Cookies come in, or even just those plain clamshell containers they use in supermarket bakeries.  Anyplace in the Vancouver/Richmond area would be much appreciated.

Try Mayers Packaging on 5th just east of Main. They have food boxes, tins, paper bags, cellophane bags of all sizes, shapes and colours, as well as tissue, ribbon and wrapping paper.

Cheers,

Anne

Hi all.  I'm a long-time lurker, first time poster.  :smile:  I've enjoyed browsing through all these topics and have discovered lots of new places to try (sadly for my waistline).

I've tried searching through previous threads but haven't found what I'm looking for.  I'm wondering where I can purchase packaging for cookies/cakes so that stuff I make and give away can look more presentable.  Maybe something like the plastic bags Thomas Haas' Sparkle Cookies come in, or even just those plain clamshell containers they use in supermarket bakeries.  Anyplace in the Vancouver/Richmond area would be much appreciated.

You might try Michael's in Richmond.

Hi all.  I'm a long-time lurker, first time poster.   :smile:  I've enjoyed browsing through all these topics and have discovered lots of new places to try (sadly for my waistline).

Welcome to eGullet fireflyzephyr!

I've bought some nice stuff at Mayers (here). They also have a good selection of food boxes. When I've gone to their showroom they didn't require a minimum order for things - though their website does state minimums. I'd phone first.

Hi all.  I'm a long-time lurker, first time poster.   :smile:  I've enjoyed browsing through all these topics and have discovered lots of new places to try (sadly for my waistline).

Welcome to eGullet fireflyzephyr!

I've bought some nice stuff at Mayers (here). They also have a good selection of food boxes. When I've gone to their showroom they didn't require a minimum order for things - though their website does state minimums. I'd phone first.

They mention showrooms on their website. Can you just go in and do a cash & carry sort of thing? You mention they didn't require minimums, does that mean you could buy just 10 of something or did you mean the value of your total order?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden