• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

Hope this doesn't sound like a silly inquiry..... :rolleyes:

I grew up in an era in which the parental/grandparental unit always wore an apron while preparing the meals. Generally, if not home made, they were purchased at Woodward's, Eatons or Simpsons Sears. Usually the half size terry towel type. It took me awhile, but I'm starting to think it might be a good idea to wear an apron myself while doing kitchen duty. :biggrin: However, they just don't seem to available in the stores, like they used to. I don't want to spend big bucks on the fancy ones and don't sew. Any suggestions where to buy a few aprons, at an inexpensive price, easy wash and wear material, in the Vancouver area? TIA. :smile:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

I don't want to spend big bucks on the fancy ones and don't sew.  Any suggestions where to buy a few aprons, at an inexpensive price, easy wash and wear material, in the Vancouver area?  TIA.  :smile:

My wife got me a nice durable one from Ming Wo. About $30. Very business-like in black, but watch out when you're baking...

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Hope this doesn't sound like a silly inquiry.....  :rolleyes: 

I grew up in an era in which the parental/grandparental unit always wore an apron while preparing the meals.  Generally, if not home made, they were purchased at Woodward's, Eatons or Simpsons Sears.  Usually the half size terry towel type.  It took me awhile, but I'm starting to think it might be a good idea to wear an apron myself while doing kitchen duty.  :biggrin:  However, they just don't seem to available in the stores, like they used to.  I don't want to spend big bucks on the fancy ones and don't sew.  Any suggestions where to buy a few aprons, at an inexpensive price, easy wash and wear material, in the Vancouver area?  TIA.  :smile:

I also grew up with aprons and can't cook or bake without one. I get the full bib aprons at Russell Food Equipment on Clark and Venables for $5. They have a heavier one with a pocket across the front for about $10. I have both, the $10 is definitely better quality but the other one is fine too. I always get white so I don't know if they have colours.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I think you might be able to find those towel type aprons at a cheap kitchen store like Kitchen Corner, maybe? if you want that specific type for sentimental reasons.

I have a cheap poly one (~$10) from Ming Wo, which lasted me about 4 years before the stains got too annoying to me. I think I'd rather invest in the heavier cotton one next time.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Thanks CanadianBakin', *Deborah*, and sanrensho for the great suggestions.  Much appreciated.   :smile:

Go around the corner from Russel's to Blackwood Appearal. You would have struck the motherlode, and get exactly what you want.

Awesome, thanks Neil! :smile:

courtesy of jsolomon

I was going to suggest Save-On as well.  Pretty amazing selection at the Maddison store in Burnaby anyway ...

A.

I just went to Save-On at Metrotown. Selection was so-so. But I did find enough for a present. Got doubles so that I could try some too. Opened up one sauce tonight to go with our homemade yakitori: Tiger Sauce. It's got the neato tiger on the label. Pretty good! Almost sweet 'n sour type sauce. Very mild, but still tasty.

I'll have to try Lougheed Save-On to see if they have more :biggrin:

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

I was going to suggest Save-On as well.  Pretty amazing selection at the Maddison store in Burnaby anyway ...

A.

I just went to Save-On at Metrotown. Selection was so-so. But I did find enough for a present. Got doubles so that I could try some too. Opened up one sauce tonight to go with our homemade yakitori: Tiger Sauce. It's got the neato tiger on the label. Pretty good! Almost sweet 'n sour type sauce. Very mild, but still tasty.

I think The Gourmet Warehouse has a reasonable selection. Maybe someone else can confirm this?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

A.

Were you able to get the ones you listed in your first inquiry? I have seen those at the main store in Richmond, by 3 Rd & Westminster Hwy, along with a lot of other brands, also at the store by 1 Rd & Westminster Hwy, and IIRC, Urban Fare (which is of course basically the same company). Sometimes they are even on sale. I've tried the Tiger one too, yah, a little too sweet for my liking. I've tried all the ones you listed, the Fear itself range has the little scull key fob I think and several different variations of hotness within the line. Another I highly recommend if you like hot is Mama Africa's Zulu Sauces peri-peri, 125ml, seriously hot (9/10 on the heat meter)! I got it at the MarketPlace IGA, on Burrard I think it was, in the specialty section. Awesome stuff! Also, at Santa Barbara Market, they have the "Original" Louisiana brand hot sauces, in a wide variety of new flavours, really interesting, and really, really inexpensive. Here's a link that lists all the new flavours available. Worth checking out if you're in the area, plus I think they probably have a lot of the other brands too. :smile:

courtesy of jsolomon

As it's been ages since I was over that way this may be a little out of date, but at one time the Pepperpot Spice place in Londsdale Quay used to carry a great range of hard to find hot sauce. Better range than anywhere outside of mail order in those days. Might be worth a call if you're going to be nearby.

cheers

Derek

Hope this hasn't been asked already upthread, but where in Vancouver (or surrounding area) can I find the biggest, most exotic selection of hot sauces? Stuff like "Ass Kickin", "Fear Itself", "Denzel's", etc. It's going to be a gift (although I'll probably scoop up a few bottles for myself).

There was this great hot sauce specialty store in Toronto, which also carried various infused olive oils. I got some ultra-spicy peanuts there for my brother-in-law, and he loved them! The nuts were called "Acid Rain". Anybody know of a hot sauce specialty store around here?

Believe it or not, Art Knapp's Plantland, in Surrey (off the King George Highway) has one of the largest selections of hot sauces anywhere - I think the last count was at least 300 varieties. The section of the store devoted to the sauces is called the "Wall of Flame" :cool:

4391 King George Highway 604-596-9201

HTH!

If you were a crazy man looking or Pomogranate Juice/sauce where would you look? I want to make a persian dish tomorrow which I've been dreaming about!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

If you were a crazy man looking or Pomegranate Juice/sauce where would you look?  I want to make a persian dish tomorrow which I've been dreaming about!

I've seen that in Greek groceries but for a sure thing there's bound to be an Iranian grocery up on Lonsdale that carries it.

As to Hot Sauces Meinhardts has a decent selection but as always the prices are stratospheric-ditto Urban Fare.

South China Seas Trading Company @ GIM has some new products worth checking out.

Sadly the new Patel's on Commie Drive has ditched many of it's old lines. :sad:

If you were a crazy man looking or Pomogranate Juice/sauce where would you look?  I want to make a persian dish tomorrow which I've been dreaming about!

I've bought it at Save-On before. I'm pretty sure it was in the produce section with the pre-cut/washed salads.

If you were a crazy man looking or Pomogranate Juice/sauce where would you look?  I want to make a persian dish tomorrow which I've been dreaming about!

I've bought it at Save-On before. I'm pretty sure it was in the produce section with the pre-cut/washed salads.

I am pretty sure you can get it at Choices, Capers, and Famous Foods. I've seen it stocked up to the ceiling at Whole Foods. Very popular with the health food crowd.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

Hope this hasn't been asked already upthread, but where in Vancouver (or surrounding area) can I find the biggest, most exotic selection of hot sauces? Stuff like "Ass Kickin", "Fear Itself", "Denzel's", etc. It's going to be a gift (although I'll probably scoop up a few bottles for myself).

There was this great hot sauce specialty store in Toronto, which also carried various infused olive oils. I got some ultra-spicy peanuts there for my brother-in-law, and he loved them! The nuts were called "Acid Rain". Anybody know of a hot sauce specialty store around here?

Urban Fare in Yaletown. They are part of Save-On-Food so I assume it will be similar selection.

If I've bought it at Save-On before. I'm pretty sure it was in the produce section with the pre-cut/washed salads.

I am pretty sure you can get it at Choices, Capers, and Famous Foods. I've seen it stocked up to the ceiling at Whole Foods. Very popular with the health food crowd.

Thanks guys, I talked to my Persian friend and he insisted I buy the Persian or Greek branded ones and something about the big-ars 'Bazaar' in North Van. Must be the same one mentioned upthread. Looks like Fud's going heading to lonsdale today :biggrin:

Edited by fud (log)

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Has anyone run across Monukka raisins here in Vancouver? They used to be available at Dan D Foods years ago but they stopped carrying them. I have a couple of recipes that recommend using them and I'd like to give them a try. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

No exactly an ingredient but I'm looking for a source for Seattle Magazine here in town.

A Ling involved post in the Washington forum talked about a chocolate place there and an article about it in the Seattle Mag. I've been to the magazine place on 4th and the magazine place next to the Bin on Broadway. No dice.