• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

While we're on the topic of nuts, does anyone know of a source for shelled unsalted pistachios. This would be for baking and dessert-making purposes.

Somewhere on the North Shore or East Van/Burnaby would be great. Thanks.

Bought my pistachios at Superstore in the ethnic aisle. They're vacuum packed, about 1/2 pound and reasonably priced. Don't know how they are yet as they've been in my freezer for a couple of months.

The beef cheeks at Rare One are great. Does anyone know where I can find beef cheeks readily in Vancouver? Do I have to order them from a butcher?

Pork Cheeks can be found in Chinatown. I'll ask Alex for the name of the butcher. I bet he's got beef cheeks too.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Bought my pistachios at Superstore in the ethnic aisle.  They're vacuum packed, about 1/2 pound and reasonably priced.  Don't know how they are yet as they've been in my freezer for a couple of months.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, my local Superstore doesn't carry the pistachios. :sad:

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Bought my pistachios at Superstore in the ethnic aisle.  They're vacuum packed, about 1/2 pound and reasonably priced.  Don't know how they are yet as they've been in my freezer for a couple of months.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, my local Superstore doesn't carry the pistachios. :sad:

Galloway's has a new store in Richmond at 7860 Alderbridge Way...well at least the location is new to me. They sell nuts and would probably sell pistachios as they sell everything else and I have never had any problems with anything not being fresh.

Samasutra

Never met a vegetable I never liked except well okra!

The beef cheeks at Rare One are great. Does anyone know where I can find beef cheeks readily in Vancouver? Do I have to order them from a butcher?

Pork Cheeks can be found in Chinatown. I'll ask Alex for the name of the butcher. I bet he's got beef cheeks too.

OK thanks!

Fresh ground masa is hard to find around here. When Que Pasa was on W. 5th there was a day or two every week when you could order some from them. I don't know what the deal is with their new location.

You can always make it, there are threads back in the archives that talk about this.

Thanks, eatrustic. Apparently Que Pasa do have a deli/store at their plant in Richmond, so I've e-mailed them to see if they carry it. I've read how to make it, and I think I'd rather leave it to the pros!

I love this quote from their website:

"We can also send non-perishable products by mail order almost, or we can ..."

Well, nice try anyways. :wink:

-- Matt.

Does anyone know where I can buy a roll of 100 disposable piping bags? I know SnowCap sells them but I don't know if they sell to the public and I'm not going to be anywhere near there anytime soon.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I was hoping that the griottes would come without brandy, since I'm using port...but I guess I could just rinse off the brandy. It should be OK--I'm just using them for a black forest cake.

European delis do often carry the jarred sour cherries sans alcohol (Euro Deli across from Capers for one). I've seen them at Bosa as well. Never tried them, though I have a jar that I've been meaning to open for about a year now!

Does anyone know what time Euro Deli closes on the weekend, and during the week?

I was hoping that the griottes would come without brandy, since I'm using port...but I guess I could just rinse off the brandy. It should be OK--I'm just using them for a black forest cake.

European delis do often carry the jarred sour cherries sans alcohol (Euro Deli across from Capers for one). I've seen them at Bosa as well. Never tried them, though I have a jar that I've been meaning to open for about a year now!

Does anyone know what time Euro Deli closes on the weekend, and during the week?

Did you mean the Euro Food Plus on Bidwell near the Robson Capers? If so, I'm not sure if they're open Sundays but through the week their hours are 9:30 - 9:30.

Happy hunting!

**Melanie**

Qzina has disposable piping bags, 2 sizes.  I know they sell individual ones at the Gourmet Warehouse, but don't know how much they are.

Thanks! I didn't think to check Qzina. I'm going there this week anyways so I'll pick some up.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

My husband loves Boylan's soda and we've been buying it by the case from The Gourmet Warehouse but he was wondering if anyone knows who the wholesaler is and if they sell to retail customers?

^I don't know...I've never been to Euro Deli/Euro Food Plus. Does Euro Food Plus carry the jarred sour cherries? TIA  :smile:

I stopped in yesterday - closest I could find was canned bing cherries and sour cherry preserves.

I guess the quest continues...

**Melanie**

^I don't know...I've never been to Euro Deli/Euro Food Plus. Does Euro Food Plus carry the jarred sour cherries? TIA  :smile:

Ling - I'm not sure if they fit the bill, but if you're looking for something like a Hungarian Morello Sour Cherry (in juice), then I'd try looking at places that cater to the Kosher crowd. With Passover on it's way, grocery stores may have them in their Passover section of try phoning Omnitsky's or Kosher Food Warehouse. If they don't have them they may be able to point you in the right direction.

I'm not sure if this'll help you at all... but I know that I'm stocking them right now for the holidays - so I'm thinking some of those places will too. Good luck.

Pam

I stopped in yesterday - closest I could find was canned bing cherries and sour cherry preserves.

I guess the quest continues...

No, they had canned sour cherries also. (I passed on the Bing cherries and the preserves.) However, the canned sour cherries were in a "light syrup" that I rinsed off...then I bumped up the acidity in the recipe by adding more lemon zest and a healthy squeeze of lemon juice. (Cherries were poached in Port, black pepper, cinnamon, orange juice and the aforementioned lemon juice and zest.)

They also have sour cherries (300 grams) in kirsch and brandy for $40 at Meinhardt. :shock: The packaging was pretty, though. :unsure:

Edited by Ling (log)

Hey folks, I am having a lobster themed party and am desperately seeking a lobster-shaped mold (or two). Please let me know if you spy one in Vancouver at a thrift shop or bake store.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Where can I get freshly ground masa in Vancouver?

Thanks.

Zucchini Mama,

I saw Masa Harina (bulk in a bin/bucket) is available to purchase for $1.25/lb or $2.50 (IIRC)/kilo at La Salza Mexican Deli at 4140 East Hastings St. in Burnaby today. Their phone number is 604 299-6485. There was another item beside it in a matching bucket, but I can't remember what it was, I was concentrating on remembering the Masa. :laugh:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Ling, glad you found the sour cherries - I thought I looked everywhere!

And at $40 :shock: , I'd hope the ones at Meinhardt's would have good packaging...   :hmmm: What, pray tell was the brandy they were using?

I don't know--I just looked at the ingredients list after seeing the price. Nondescript brandy, I guess.

(And you guys weren't kidding about "paying dearly" if I were to buy them from Meinhardt! :wink: )

And thank-you all for pointing me towards Euro Foods! :smile:

If you're interested in seeing the finished cake, I posted pictures here: Black Forest cake

Edited by Ling (log)