• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

Do you mean to spray your countertops and kitchen surfaces?  Does anyone else just use a little vinegar and water at home?  Doesn't that do the trick?

No, that's cleaning. Sanitizing is reducing the level of pathogen to an acceptable level. Sanitizing is a lot less effective if the surface is not clean to begin with.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never seen Menton lemons here and I doubt they would be imported this far but you never know. They appear to be a thick skinned variety whereas the Meyers are thin skinned and have the slightly sweeter, mandarin taste. I would do a 50/50 mix with regular lemons and Meyers so that you would have the flavour from the Meyers and the tartness from the regular lemons.

For the Griottes or Amerenas (similar?) try Meinhardts and be ready to pay dearly. They are usually in brandy, is that what you want?

They used to carry them at Far Met Importers (wholesale) on W. 7th. If you can't buy them there perhaps they know who has them.

Good hunting.

I've never seen Menton lemons here and I doubt they would be imported this far but you never know. They appear to be a thick skinned variety whereas the Meyers are thin skinned and have the slightly sweeter, mandarin taste. I would do a 50/50 mix with regular lemons and Meyers so that you would have the flavour from the Meyers and the tartness from the regular lemons.

For the Griottes or Amerenas (similar?) try Meinhardts and be ready to pay dearly. They are usually in brandy, is that what you want?

They used to carry them at Far Met Importers (wholesale) on W. 7th. If you can't buy them there perhaps they know who has them.

Good hunting.

Thanks! I was thinking about doing a 50/50 split between Meyer and regular lemons if Mentons aren't available here...glad you think that's a decent substitute! :smile:

I was hoping that the griottes would come without brandy, since I'm using port...but I guess I could just rinse off the brandy. It should be OK--I'm just using them for a black forest cake.

Where do people buy their nuts for naking and snacking? I need a good source for nuts that are not stale-almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts.

Thanks

Zuke,

There is a somewhat regular vendor who comes to Granville Island with fresh hazelnuts. I see them there about once a month and they always have good fresh nuts. I store them in the freezer after purchase and before roasting to ensure they don't go rancid.

I noticed a good price on nuts - almonds, walnuts etc. at A. Bosa the other day - don't need any so did not purchase any, but I think they move their product so this is likely a decent source. The price was definately decent.

hope this helps,

S

Where do people buy their nuts for naking and snacking? I need a good source for nuts that are not stale-almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts.

Thanks

Zuke,

There is a somewhat regular vendor who comes to Granville Island with fresh hazelnuts. I see them there about once a month and they always have good fresh nuts. I store them in the freezer after purchase and before roasting to ensure they don't go rancid.

I noticed a good price on nuts - almonds, walnuts etc. at A. Bosa the other day - don't need any so did not purchase any, but I think they move their product so this is likely a decent source. The price was definately decent.

hope this helps,

S

Thanks a bunch SushiCat. Where is A. Bosa?

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Bosa is on Victoria - a few blocks south of Hastings. It is probably the best place in town for various Italian items. Parmesan, Cannelli beans, dried fish, anchovies, olive oil etc etc - and their Mortadella is the very best this side of Bologna.

Thanks

Hey Zuke, someone recently turned me onto Weigh To Go (or something like that), it is a bulk place beside the Dunbar VQA which I believe you have been known to frequent. So on 41st just east of Dunbar, across-ish from the IGA. Perhaps this fits the bill?

I was hoping that the griottes would come without brandy, since I'm using port...but I guess I could just rinse off the brandy. It should be OK--I'm just using them for a black forest cake.

European delis do often carry the jarred sour cherries sans alcohol (Euro Deli across from Capers for one). I've seen them at Bosa as well. Never tried them, though I have a jar that I've been meaning to open for about a year now!

While we're on the topic of nuts, does anyone know of a source for shelled unsalted pistachios. This would be for baking and dessert-making purposes.

Somewhere on the North Shore or East Van/Burnaby would be great. Thanks.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

While we're on the topic of nuts, does anyone know of a source for shelled unsalted pistachios. This would be for baking and dessert-making purposes.

Somewhere on the North Shore or East Van/Burnaby would be great. Thanks.

Boxes of them in my kitchen.

I order them through my regular suppliers. Easy to get.

Let me know if you need a box ordered.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Thanks

Hey Zuke, someone recently turned me onto Weigh To Go (or something like that), it is a bulk place beside the Dunbar VQA which I believe you have been known to frequent. So on 41st just east of Dunbar, across-ish from the IGA. Perhaps this fits the bill?

Thanks BC,

I am avoiding bulk food places because I've had two bad experiences with little moths getting into my kitchen via bulk foods. I want also want a place with a really fast turnover, as I'm tired of paying lots of money for rancid nuts. I guess Dandi Pack seems to be pretty good, depending on the turnover of the venue where they're sold. The one on 4th seems good, but I don't get there often.

Ling, if it's just sour cherries you're seeking for Black Forest cake-I second the Euro deli or Italian deli options. I see them all over the place.

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Zuke - speaking of Dan-D, there is one on Oak at around 63rd or so? that has a large assortment of pre-packaged nuts as well as ones in the bulk bins. Also good nut butters to be found there, BTW.

As for the pistachios, I last picked some up from that Grainery dude on GI, but I'm pretty sure I can get them for cheaper at either Weight To Go or the Dan-D store on Oak.

Boxes of them in my kitchen.

I order them through my regular suppliers. Easy to get.

Let me know if you need a box ordered.

Thanks for the offer! How big are the boxes and what is the shelf life? If the size works for me I will PM you about that and some gel sheets.

Also, thanks for everybody else's suggestions.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Hello, I am new but have really enjoyed reading everyone's posts.

Does anyone know where I can find " sea asparagus". I tried it at a restaurant and fell in love with it but have not been able to find it. Have tried everywhere including Capers and Urban Fare.

Never met a vegetable I never liked except well okra!

Westcoast Seaweed

" The seasons frozen is pre-blanched and ready to ship. These one pound vacuum sealed packages and our new 100 gram package are a great way to experience early summer all year. I recommend our frozen product as a garnish with shellfish dishes. Thank you. "

For more information or to order email us at info@westcoastseaweed.com

Or call by phone.

(250) 812 6691

Gastronomista

Westcoast Seaweed

" The seasons frozen is pre-blanched and ready to ship. These one pound vacuum sealed packages and our new 100 gram package are a great way to experience early summer all year. I recommend our frozen product as a garnish with shellfish dishes. Thank you. "

For more information or to order email us at info@westcoastseaweed.com

Or call by phone.

(250) 812 6691

Thanks, I have been to their website but they do not take credit at this time and they are on the island which means shipping over here. I was hoping to find a local supplier. Also, they do not post their cost. Old Surrey serves this with their steak as well as seafood and its scrumptious. If cooked properly it has a lovely crunchy texture though a little salty. The first time I had it , it was cooked with butter and garlic which was lovely and helped compensate for the salt. The last time however it was a little bitter so I would imagine its use as a vegetable has to be used carefully as the site suggests. Soaking it to help decrease its salt content would help. Thanks for the info. Will send you email as have a tip for your column on another restaurant. Give me a couple of days. Take care.

Never met a vegetable I never liked except well okra!