• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

^It's a Japanese citrus fruit that is often compared to lemon, but its fragrance and juice is different...much more potent. I actually don't know too much about yuzu; I just like a bit of the zest/juice on my sashimi. It's also great in vinaigrette. I was flipping through the Nobu cookbook today and he has a bunch of recipes using yuzu.

I was just wondering, why isn't yuzu grown here? I think there is an unsatisified market niche for this citrus fruit..

I do not think anywhere in B.C. would have a warm or long enough season for citrus fruit and growing it in greenhouses would be too expensive but you never know :smile:

It is tasty but at $5.95 a bottle...still a treat.

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Could someone please enlighten me in me as to Yuzu. I am from the land of Vegemite and Sauvignon Blanc.

Think of a citrus fruit that combines the flavours of lime, lemon, grapefruit and Mandarin orange. It's all that plus an incredible floral quality that's difficult to describe; upthread, I likened the taste of yuzu to eating a delicately flavoured citrus flower as the flavour quite literally blossoms in your mouth.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I was at GI yesterday and picked up a bottle of Yuzu juice from South Seas Trading, it was 10.80 for a 105ml bottle. I asked the girl and she said they don’t carry the fresh fruit.

yuzu.JPG

I made a sauce with some of it (Yuzu, Oil, Truffle Oil since I didn’t have the real thing, black pepper, and finely grated garlic), a nice ingredient with a strong kick, but it worked perfectly with jumbo scallops. I also used some of it on a salad.

But because of the price I think I will probably try normal lemons next time.

I was just wondering, why isn't yuzu grown here? I think there is an unsatisified market niche for this citrus fruit..

I do not think anywhere in B.C. would have a warm or long enough season for citrus fruit and growing it in greenhouses would be too expensive but you never know :smile:

It is tasty but at $5.95 a bottle...still a treat.

Stephen

WHERE???

Edited by D90 (log)

As I said upthread, the fruit itself is at Fujiya, they are $5.95 each. 1 orange sized piece of fruit. That same bottle of juice that you purchased at GI is $7.95 at Fujiya. I was there on the weekend, checking to see if the price had come down, which of course, it hadn't.

Edited because my damn fingers won't work.

Edited by peppyre (log)

I was at GI yesterday and picked up a bottle of Yuzu juice from South Seas Trading, it was 10.80 for a 105ml bottle. I asked the girl and she said they don’t carry the fresh fruit.

Slightly off-topic, but I found the same bottle sold for 473 yen (5% consumption tax included) here in Japan, along with sudachi, kabosu, and lemon juice bottles.

I am shopping for some mini squeeze bottles like the ones on the back cover of Thomas Keller's French Laundry. I have went to Ming Woo, Gourmet Warehouse, Cookworks and still having no luck in finding them. :sad:

I am shopping for some mini squeeze bottles like the ones on the back cover of Thomas Keller's French Laundry.  I have went to Ming Woo, Gourmet Warehouse, Cookworks and still having no luck in finding them.  :sad:

Have you tried Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, or your local food service equipment supplier?

Buen provecho, Panosmex

Does anyone use sanitizer at home? The thought of using sanitizer never really occurred to me until I completed a food safety course at school. I am looking for some quat ammonium sanitizer but can't seem to find it around town.

I used buffered bleach- it comes in tablet form and I get through my mum at a hospital supply place. You could also just fill a spray bottle of water and add a couple of drops of water per cup. I also get stuff from that store on Broadway- janitorial supply- same one as Neil mentioned.

Edited by annanstee (log)

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

You can get them at the restaurant supply store on Hastings St. I don't know the address but it is on the south side of Hastings across from the Astoria Hotel.

"I went to a restaurant that serves breakfast at anytime.

So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance".

Steven Wright

M-Chem in Delta sells large format sanitiser for the restaurant trade. A little goes a long way.

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

You can get them at the restaurant supply store on Hastings St.  I don't know the address but it is on the south side of Hastings across from the Astoria Hotel.

Most likely "Pacific Restaurant Supply"

Stephen

MY BLOG

You may want to try a beauty supply house. Also, as suggested, a craft store may have what you are looking for.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Yeah, I know where Pacific Restaurant Supply is but always feel reluctant to park my car there.  Too many drug addicts in the neighbourhood...

Maybe you could re-name the thread "Where can I find small squeeze bottles and a gated community?"