• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

You can also get them at Armando's at the Granville Island market.  If you are from the North Shore you can probably find them at Whole Foods too, but I would call first to be sure.

I don't think whole foods carries them. I would try 3P Meat and Poultry.

I have on occasion seen duck products at the IGA on Esplanade. They have even had vacuum packed duck confit before.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I had never heard of 3P Meats, but I checked their web site and it looks great.

I just hope they're open after Xmas as I need the duck for New Years.

I never tried Muscovy Duck. Is it better or just different from the usual ducks you would get aroung here?

Muscovy is a much larger duck breast than your usual domestic, it also has a much more richer flavour when rendered.

Another place to look at since you are on the North Shore is Lonsdale Quay they use to sell it there.

Also, not sure if they are still doing it but Hills Bros. you can place a min. $200. order for pick up in Coquitlam.

Hope this helps

Another place to look at since you are on the North Shore is Lonsdale Quay they use to sell it there.

Good suggestion

There are two spots in the Quay, one is a chicken seller, and the other is a butcher. The former does have duck, but I have only seen whole duck, never breasts. The butcher is pretty good, and they're both super nice, two young brothers bought in March. They also sell whole duck, not sure if I've ever seen breasts. But I can absolutely guarantee that if you phone them today they will have it before new years.

Not sure if this is the current information: http://lonsdalequay.com/store.cfm?store=106b

I'm pretty sure before it was sold it was called Bob the Butcher, so it probably is correct.

Anybody know of any stores close to downtown that would carry pre-made duck confit? I have a recipe and don't really mind making it, but frankly it would be far easier to march over to Urban Fare or Gourmet Warehouse or something and just buy it. If you could pipe up with your expert knowledge by Friday at noon, it would be terribly helpful indeed  :biggrin:

You've probably already got yours now, but in case you haven't, I've seen duck confit sold at the bakery, La Petit France, on Arbutus St., which isn't downtown, but not too far away.

Muscovy is a much larger duck breast than your usual domestic, it also has a much more richer flavour when rendered.

Also, not sure if they are still doing it but Hills Bros. you can place a min. $200. order for pick up in Coquitlam.

Hope this helps

Doesn't Hills Bros carry exotic meats too? Like muskox and whatnot? I think that's the one

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Hope this helps

Doesn't Hills Bros carry exotic meats too? Like muskox and whatnot? I think that's the one

Hi Fud, yes Hills Meats carries duck to organic beef to boar to rattlesnake, turtle etc... As well as Foie Gras

check them out hillsfoods.com 604-472-1500

Hills also has musk ox ... a very lean, delicious meat. Apparently the Inuit get special licences to go out and bag musk ox and do the preliminary handling ... then the carcass is finished in a government-inspected facility. Had it once in a previous life at a fund-raiser for a Canadian culinary team ... recollection is that the team manager was a VVI instructor.

Happy holidays to all!

I would like to recreate the truffled ganache i learnt in the chocolate and pastry class but I'm missing an ingredient.

Anyone out there know where to find the liquid sugar glucose i need? i could substitute it with corn syrup but i'd like to use what we used in class if possible.

Thanks! :biggrin:

Quentina

In the past I've seen smaller quanties (around 1/2 litre) sold at Galloway's in Richmond. Please note they are now located at 7860 Alderbridge way (between No.3 Road and Minoru), near Ed's Linens.

Edited by lemon curd (log)

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

I am not sure what "that movie" is and whether your reference to "Turkish delight" is a euphemism for something unmentionable on this forum - as it well may be - but in the event you are looking for a source of loukoum - those slightly rubbery, gelatinous sweets covered in icing sugar and ground pistachios that you find throughout the middle east, my wife assures me that she has purchased these at Famous Foods, The Parthenon and Meinhards at various times. And she should know.

my wife assures me that she has purchased these at Famous Foods, The Parthenon and Meinhards at various times.  And she should know.

Do you mean that this is a freshly made, locally-produced product?

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Yek O Yek on Main Street (Main and 14th) has a wonderful fresh Turkish delight. In fact, the first time I ever had the real thing was a sample from the owner. He didn't tell me what it was, just said try this, and after I told him that I loved it, he said that it was turkish delight.

For all things Persian, I reccomend Yek'O'Yek! (when I was younger, my mom's best friend was Persian and we would always be at her house with her cook, I love all Persian foods to this day)

When I was a teenager, my aunt brought me some Turkish Delight as a gift from her visit to Turkey. I remember it being un-heavenly. Perhaps it is time to source it locally to give it a second chance.