• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

I was recently visiting a friend in London, and she offered me a Muller brand yogurt "Fruit Corner". This is a single serving of plain yogurt with a separate corner of fruit topping to be mixed into the yogurt. It was absolutely delicious.

http://www.muller.co.uk/

I have not had any luck finding this product in Vancouver, and was wondering if anyone can send me in the right direction!

I was recently visiting a friend in London, and she offered me a Muller brand yogurt "Fruit Corner". This is a single serving of plain yogurt with a separate corner of fruit topping to be mixed into the yogurt. It was absolutely delicious.

http://www.muller.co.uk/

I have not had any luck finding this product in Vancouver, and was wondering if anyone can send me in the right direction!

I have lived in Vancouver for getting close to 4 years now. I`m an English transplant for those who don`t know. Unfortunatly i have not been able to track down a source of supply for these products.

Yet.

My Wife and i were hooked on the ' rhubarb and custard crunch corner '. and on a summer trip last year to see my folks, we consumed on average two a day ( each ).

I used to have at least six in my fridge in london at any given time.

Hmmm Sainsburys * drifts off into a daze *

My folks are coming over in the spring, maybe i can twist a few arms and get a consignment personally delivered.

tt

Hi all...its been awhile since I've posted (I have been lurking). One of my new year's resolutions is to post more and attend more events in the new year.

So this is my plea for help. I am looking to purchase a Moroccan Tagine for my father for Christmas. There are some lovely ones available at the Cook Shop, but I am looking for one with a hole on the top of the lid. Apparently, the ones with the hole on the top can be used stove top and in the oven, but the ones WITHOUT can only be used in the oven. Sigh.

I know, its 5 days before Christmas, but I have been looking for this for a month now...and I just thought of emailing the egulleteers!!!! Silly me.

I will be Christmassing on the Island, so a Victoria/Duncan/Nanaimo location to purchase this little beauty would be fab, or a place in Vancouver area would also work well.

Thank you all!!!

Cheers

Erin

Sorry Erin, I have the no-hole version. However, my wife got that one for me at the cookwares store in City Square (12th & Cambie) which you might want to check out for the hole version.

I also bought one for a friend at Cookworks. Both places charge a mini-fortune, relatively speaking (ballpark $100). The last time this topic came up, someone suggested getting in touch with Chambar as they go through lots of tagines and would have a good source.

Cheers & good luck.

ETA: Can't beat those lightning fingers of Moosh, thus the X-post. However I should also add that, with a heat diffuser, you can use the non-hole version on a stove-top.

Also, the tagine Moosh posted is cast-iron; the one I got & the one I bought are both ceramic.

Edited by BCinBC (log)

Lo and behold:  Cookworks has a Le Creuset Tagine for sale.

Give them a call.  With any luck, they'll still be in stock.  :smile:

Must disagree -- this is not a real tagine, but a tagine-shaped pot that will not do what a real tagine does. Trust me. I bought one of these and quickly sold it on eBay when I acquired a real one. While you might not be able to get it by Christmas, THE place for such shopping is Tagines.com. I recommend the Rifi.

You guys ROCK MY WORLD! Thank you!!! I will check those links, head off to Home Sense and will buy my dad yet another interesting cooking item (he spends too much time reading cooking magazines and listening to cooking shows). I spent hours looking for chestnut flour for his stocking last year.

THANK YOU AWESOME EGULLETEERS!!! May your stockings be filled with truffle oil and your your toddies hot and magical.

Cheers

Erin

I use mine on top of the stove and they don't have holes in the top.  I think a hole in the top would defeat the purpose.

My father (the recipient of said tagine) was chatting with a woman at a local store that sells Moroccan wares, and lots of Tagines. She herself is Moroccan and said that the one with the hole on top can be used for both stovetop and oven cooking, but without the hole, should be used in the stove only. I didn't hear WHY however, but I understand your comment about the hole in the top. Who knows... maybe I'll have to get one for him with a hole and one for me without so we can both experiment :biggrin:

You could simply ask Paula Wolfert. If anyone would know, she would.

I looked at my collection and one does have a small hole near the top. However it is blue glazed and not intended for cooking, it is for serving only.

All of the unglazed ones, various types and shapes, are without holes. They are made in Morocco.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I saw them at a shop on Arbutus and 11th in Vancouver last week. West side of the street, across from Tile and carpet place. Also saw them in a shop near Victoria on the weekend. Maddicks Farm (sp?) in Cordova Bay. Cate

Cate Simpson

Les Dames d'Escoffier International

www.ldei.org

www.lesdames.ca

Thanks for all the suggestions. My mother has been hunting for a good Tagine for a long time...I think she really wants a pretty, embellished one. I'll definitely tell her about the suggestions here.

A friend of mine... recent US import is looking for a ham for the Holidays.

He has had a number of good American Hams, honey/hickory smoked types and is looking for a source in Vancouver. Not being a ham afficionado I couldn't help.

Any ideas?

If it's slower than me.

Dumber than me.

And tastes good.

Pass the salt.

Anthony Bourdain

Two suggestions: Armando's Fine Meats on Granville Island (Telephone 604-685-0359) and Windsor Quality Meats at 4110 Main Street (Telephone 604-872-5635). Both are highly reliable purveyors of meat.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Anybody know of any stores close to downtown that would carry pre-made duck confit? I have a recipe and don't really mind making it, but frankly it would be far easier to march over to Urban Fare or Gourmet Warehouse or something and just buy it. If you could pipe up with your expert knowledge by Friday at noon, it would be terribly helpful indeed :biggrin:

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"