• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

Where can I find bottled chestnuts? I've never seen them but apparently they do exist. I have a wonderful chestnut, bacon and blue cheese soup recipe which I'd like to make more than once a year...and I'm not enamored of the process of peeling fresh ones. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

**Melanie**

Meinhardt's has them for sure. It would be interesting to do a price comparison, so please post if you shop around. There was a man selling his own truffle oil at Nat Bailey this summer. I imagine he'll be at the Christmas market. Let us know what you're making! Pictures are even better!

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

You can find bottled truffles and truffle oil at one of my favourite Italian shops ... A. Bosa & Co. Ltd., 562 Victoria Drive, Vancouver, 604 253 5578. I bought a bottle of truffle infused olive oil in this little shop several weeks ago for a very reasonable price. I think I paid about $8 for 250 mL. I had previously bought truffle oil at The Gourmet Warehouse and paid $11.95 for only 60 mL. I’m not a connoisseur on truffle oil, but I thought the two oils tasted the same. It’s a lovely addition to scrambled eggs.

Where can I find bottled chestnuts?  I've never seen them but apparently they do exist.  I have a wonderful chestnut, bacon and blue cheese soup recipe which I'd like to make more than once a year...and I'm not enamored of the process of peeling fresh ones. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

I buy wonderful chestnuts, in a pouch, from Dan-d-pak! I was sceptical at first, but they really are good...whole and firm, which is what I like. And they were very inexpensive...about 2 cups of chestnuts for under 5 bucks. The bottled ones can be found in the specialty aisle at Save-On, but they are very expensive.

Does anyone know a source for Duck Bacon?

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Where can I find bottled chestnuts?  I've never seen them but apparently they do exist.  I have a wonderful chestnut, bacon and blue cheese soup recipe which I'd like to make more than once a year...and I'm not enamored of the process of peeling fresh ones. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Fresh ones are actually really easy to peel once you roast them! I peeled a whole bunch and ground it to use as chestnut flour for a cake...I was amazed by how easy it was.

I haven't seen bottled chestnuts, but you can get packaged chestnuts (already peeled) at Asian grocery stores like T&T.

ETA: I posted after Badiane. I'm probably talking about the same brand--the Dan-d-pak ones.

Edited by Ling (log)

Where do I find fresh quince? I see them featured in British magazines but have never seen them fresh here. Any ideas?

If you are interested in a trek to Chilliwack, there is a guy that I buy them from...if you take the exit by the Yellow Barn, down that long road to the flyover to Keith Wilson Road....on the Greendale side of the bridge over the canal, you will go about 1000 yards or so and there on the right side of the road you will see a pole with some signs stuck to it...currently I believe he has persimmons, walnuts, kiwi on the pole but I do know he has an abundance of quince in the barn :-) Unless they all went on the weekend. Unfortunately I don't know his name. But he and his wife are an interesting trip anyway...he has an amazing array of trees on the land...quince, figs, kiwi, nuts of all kinds, apples...you name it.

If you have never worked with quince before, you are going to need either a very big knife, a cleaver or a hatchet....they are really tough and difficult to hack up.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Where do I find fresh quince? I see them featured in British magazines but have never seen them fresh here. Any ideas?

I'm almost positive I remember seeing fresh quince just this weekend at Safeway at Davie and Bidwell. Not entirely sure; it may have been one of the smaller independent markets in the area.

Maybe that's not much help!

Oh, and Ling and Badiane, thanks for the tips on chestnuts - I've since seen canned at Capers and Gourmet Warehouse :smile:

**Melanie**

I asked the chef at "Quince", the new gourmet shop if they are still in season, and she said no they would be hard to find now. However, if anyone spots them, please give us a heads up as I'd still like to try to make some quince jam.

Zuke

--Mae West

I saw them at the grocery store next to Memphis Blues on Commercial a couple of weeks ago. I have no idea whether they were of a good quality though... The persimmons were certainly nice-looking, & not too expensive either (89 cents each).

I saw them at the grocery store next to Memphis Blues on Commercial a couple of weeks ago.  I have no idea whether they were of a good quality though... The persimmons were certainly nice-looking, & not too expensive either (89 cents each).

That, my friend, would be the famed Santa Barbara Market ! Home of the Hammy's Portuguese Bun, picked up every day by the devilishly handsome nwyles of egullet fame.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I asked the chef at "Quince", the new gourmet shop if they are still in season, and she said no they would be hard to find now. However, if anyone spots them, please give us a heads up as I'd still like to try to make some quince jam.

Zuke

A week or so ago, I saw quinces at the Parthenon. They looked a little bit bashed about but may be okay for jam / jelly making.

I need to pick up some other things there this weekend so will keep you posted as to whether or not they are still available..

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Thanks for all the sources! I should have mentioned that I live in Mission so Vancouver isn't that handy, although I do make trips in from time to time. Chilliwack will be a bit closer.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

in my travels yesterday i noticed quince was $1.39 at both urban fare and norman's on the drive!wow how could that be?? but uh actually it was that price per lb at norman's and for each at u.f not totally unexpected i mighty add

Thanks!

I was just checking Galloways site for chestnut flour for the last post. They don't have flour but they do have chestnut puree as well as whole canned chestnuts. Might be a bit cheaper than the other sources although you have to go to Richmond to get them. The prices are on their site so you can compare before making the trip.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I need to find the best cinnamon I can get my hands on for both cooking and a gift purpose. My mother often talks about cinnamon her mother used to use that when you open the can the whole house smelled of cinnamon and she hasn't been able to find anything that good of quality in years. Can anyone recommend a place to get great cinnamon?

Ah yes, not all cinammon is created equally. In fact you probably know what we are used to is not true cinnamon, but cassia bark. I bought some very nice "cinnamon" made from the...I'm blanking on the proper word here...from tiny twigs (?) of cassia as opposed to the bark. I bought it from the South Seas Trading Company in Granville Island Market. I absentmindedly threw the label in the recycling along with a part of my brain. It's beautiful cinnamon and made our French Toast taste extra special.

Another thing I love to buy at this time of the year is powdered star anise from the Fraserview Deli. Opening the bag smells like entering the secret passage to Christmas!

Zuke

--Mae West

It feels weird suggesting this, i'm not sure why, but Watkins sells what I think is very good cinnamon. The company has been around for a million years so you never know, it might be the same kind your Grandma used to buy. And it does come in a can.

It feels weird suggesting this, i'm not sure why, but Watkins sells what I think is very good cinnamon. The company has been around for a million years so you never know, it might be the same kind your Grandma used to buy. And it does come in a can.

By coincidence, I saw a Watkins salesperson set up in City Square Mall today.

--Mae West

I need to find the best cinnamon I can get my hands on for both cooking and a gift purpose. My mother often talks about cinnamon her mother used to use that when you open the can the whole house smelled of cinnamon and she hasn't been able to find anything that good of quality in years. Can anyone recommend a place to get great cinnamon?

Online, at Penzey's. It seems to be very popular with the bakers in the Baking forum.