• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

The Granville Island spot is South China Seas Trading Co. They have galangal about as fresh as anywhere else.

If you want to get if from a Vietnamese market, try some of the shops along Kingsway.

Edited by the g-man (log)

try asia market on east hastings for galanga they have an excellent selection of fresh herbs and spices would also be way cheaper than g.i

Nice! I will try! Thanks guys!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I get my galanga at the T&T market in Surrey....the closest asian market to Chilliwack.

I would assume it's widely available at the T&T everywhere.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

If you want to get if from a Vietnamese market, try some of the shops along Kingsway.

I would start around Kingsway and Knight, working your way west (south side of Kingsway). There's also a Vietnamese bakery on that stretch of Kingsway with durian cocktail buns and good banh me. Further down, there's a good kim chi store.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Does anyone have a source for good, fresh graham flour? Robin Hood used to make a credible version that, mixed 50:50 with white flour, worked well in my Irish soda bread recipe, which also includes buttermilk.

That product has seemingly been discontinued. I've tried a few from the bins of various health food stores, but without the same effect. Any suggestions?

Jamie

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Does anyone have a source for good, fresh graham flour? Robin Hood used to make a credible version that, mixed 50:50 with white flour, worked well in my Irish soda bread recipe, which also includes buttermilk.

That product has seemingly been discontinued. I've tried a few from the bins of various health food stores, but without the same effect. Any suggestions?

Jamie

Try to source this brand. I've seen it at Save On Foods, Donald's Market (I think), surely it would be at Capers, Choices, WF?

Great products.

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

I get my galanga at the T&T market in Surrey....the closest asian market to Chilliwack.

I would assume it's widely  available at the T&T everywhere.

Really? last time I was at T&T I didn't say any at all!

I will have to have another look as that would be the closest asian market to me.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Jamie

Bob's Red Mill makes graham flour. They carry that brand at Safeway, Save-on-Foods, and a bunch of other higher end grocery stores.

Does anyone know where to get Copha??? It is lard like and used in baking, I grew up in Australia and a lot of recipes use it. I am wanting to bring back some childhood memories but can't find the Copha.. are there any Aussie grocery shops in Vancouver, I could really go for a lamington and a great meat pie right now! :wub:

Edited by DameD (log)

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

I would assume it's widely  available at the T&T everywhere.

Really? last time I was at T&T I didn't say any at all!

I will have to have another look as that would be the closest asian market to me.

It comes on one of those styro trays, covered in plastic...but then again, doesn't everything at the T&T? I generally find it in with the chili peppers, if that helps you at all. If you are at the Surrey store, it's generally on the veg table closest to the meat department.

Scott Stratten

Jamie

Anita's Organic Mill out here in Chilliwack sells a very nice stone ground whole wheat flour that works well in my recipe...I know you pass through pretty often - she has a small shop on the grounds of the mill, which is an easy pull off from the highway - Lickman Road, go left, then left at the bottom of the overpass...can't miss it. You can get her stuff at Hofstedes also, probably more reliable hours and pretty good coffee...take the exit after Lickman toward the mall...screech over three lanes of traffic and turn left at the first light, follow the curve, it's right across from Future Shop, next to Bibles for Missions.

Scott Stratten

I had asked earlier (I think in another thread) where to buy frozen cherries. After calling and looking at all the specialty grocers, I found them at Stong's on West 16th avenue.

However, I could not find Morello cherry syrup so I'm going to substitute it with the Boylan black cherry soda for making my Black Forest Cheesecake. If anyone can tell me where to get Morello cherry syrup I'd be very grateful.

Also, thanks for mentioning air-chilled chicken. Picked up my pack of 3 chickens from Costco. As someone did earlier, I just stuck the chicken, unseasoned, in the oven at 375 degrees for over an hour and it came out delicious. The next chicken will be seasoned and, I'm sure, as delicious.

BTW, Superstore also has air-chilled chicken. The whole chicken is larger and can be bought singly. As well, they sell air-chilled pieces; chicken breasts, thights, etc.

Edited by maxmillan (log)

I had asked earlier (I think in another thread) where to buy frozen cherries.  After calling and looking at all the specialty grocers, I found them at Stong's on West 16th avenue. 

However, I could not find Morello cherry syrup so I'm going to substitute it with the Boylan black cherry soda for making my Black Forest Cheesecake.  If anyone can tell me where to get Morello cherry syrup I'd be very grateful.

Also, thanks for mentioning air-chilled chicken.  Picked up my pack of 3 chickens from Costco.  As someone did earlier, I just stuck the chicken, unseasoned, in the oven at 375 degrees for over an hour and it came out delicious.  The next chicken will be seasoned and, I'm sure, as delicious.

BTW, Superstore also has air-chilled chicken.  The whole chicken is larger and can be bought singly.  As well, they sell air-chilled pieces; chicken breasts, thights, etc.

maxmillan,

Why do you need cherry syrup? Is there some reason you don't want to use kirsch?

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

I had asked earlier (I think in another thread) where to buy frozen cherries.  After calling and looking at all the specialty grocers, I found them at Stong's on West 16th avenue. 

However, I could not find Morello cherry syrup so I'm going to substitute it with the Boylan black cherry soda for making my Black Forest Cheesecake.  If anyone can tell me where to get Morello cherry syrup I'd be very grateful.

Also, thanks for mentioning air-chilled chicken.  Picked up my pack of 3 chickens from Costco.  As someone did earlier, I just stuck the chicken, unseasoned, in the oven at 375 degrees for over an hour and it came out delicious.  The next chicken will be seasoned and, I'm sure, as delicious.

BTW, Superstore also has air-chilled chicken.  The whole chicken is larger and can be bought singly.  As well, they sell air-chilled pieces; chicken breasts, thights, etc.

maxmillan,

Why do you need cherry syrup? Is there some reason you don't want to use kirsch?

Zuke

I did use Kirsch to soak the frozen cherries. The recipe calls for Morello cherry syrup to top up the liquid to be added to the cream cheese, I guess to sweeten the sour cherries. I know I can probably substitute with other cherry syrup but I'm a purist who likes to start with the exact recipe and then substitute it from there. If anyone knows where one can buy Morello cherry syrup that would be fantastic.

BTW, the last of the Costco air-chilled chicken is in the oven and I think I shall not eat another chicken for a long while, delicious as it may be. Bulk buying is not feasible for the lone diner.

Edited by maxmillan (log)

maxmillan,

Zuke

I did use Kirsch to soak the frozen cherries. The recipe calls for Morello cherry syrup to top up the liquid to be added to the cream cheese, I guess to sweeten the sour cherries. I know I can probably substitute with other cherry syrup but I'm a purist who likes to start with the exact recipe and then substitute it from there. If anyone knows where one can buy Morello cherry syrup that would be fantastic.

BTW, the last of the Costco air-chilled chicken is in the oven and I think I shall not eat another chicken for a long while, delicious as it may be. Bulk buying is not feasible for the lone diner.

Have you called up dessert or chocolate shops/specialty stores? They may have the inside scoop on where to find that syrup ... or the Gourmet Warehouse?

Jamie

Galloways has many varieties of flour including graham. They sell it packages from 800ml to 20 kg. Just remember they've moved recently. The new address is on their site.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

My brother loves very salty liquorice candy, and I usually send him some for Christmas. My source, a Dutch deli in Lansdowne Mall, has closed and I cannot find it anywhere.

I have tried Capers, Choices, looked briefly in Whole Foods and all the usual supermarkets but cannot find the very salty liqourice (he is fine with either soft or hard). There is a tiny selection at a Russian deli in the west end, but I'd like to send him a decent amount.

Any suggestions?

Elizabeth

"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook".

My brother loves very salty liquorice candy, and I usually send him some for Christmas.  My source, a Dutch deli in Lansdowne Mall, has closed and I cannot find it anywhere. 

I have tried Capers, Choices, looked briefly in Whole Foods and all the usual supermarkets but cannot find the very salty liqourice (he is fine with either soft or hard).  There is a tiny selection at a Russian deli in the west end, but I'd like to send him a decent amount. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks  :smile:

I'd suggest Dutch Girl Chocolates which is located at 1002 Commercial Drive (east side of the street). Apparently they sell over 75 different kinds of Dutch licorice.

Here's a quick writeup on the store from a Seattle Times restaurant review covering The Drive:

Dutch Girl Chocolates . Sure, this tiny shops sells delectable handmade chocolates. But more unusual here is the vast collection of Dutch licorice, which one can purchase by the piece.

Not that sugary-sweet, rubbery, ropey licorice most Americans favor, mind you. We're talking salty, tangy black discs and many other varieties for a true (or wannabe) connoisseur of the stuff.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

My brother loves very salty liquorice candy, and I usually send him some for Christmas.  My source, a Dutch deli in Lansdowne Mall, has closed and I cannot find it anywhere. 

I have tried Capers, Choices, looked briefly in Whole Foods and all the usual supermarkets but cannot find the very salty liqourice (he is fine with either soft or hard).  There is a tiny selection at a Russian deli in the west end, but I'd like to send him a decent amount. 

Any suggestions?

The Halso Bakery on Arbutus has a some - along with other Swedish food stuffs. Also don't underestimate Ikea for carrying large quantities of odd things to put in your mouth.

I had asked earlier (I think in another thread) where to buy frozen cherries. After calling and looking at all the specialty grocers, I found them at Stong's on West 16th avenue.

My friend made a fantastic sour cherry crostada last night - she got her sour cherries frozen at Yen Bros. Cash and Carry - not sure if it is open to the public though. I think that HY Louie is open to the public. You may want to call ahead and see what they have.

I know Meinhardt's carries truffles and truffle products.. I'm not sure about Urban Fare. I'd imagine any upscale retailer in Vancouver would have at the very minimum, truffle oil.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

Any suggestions?

There's also a comprehensive Dutch "store" in, of all places, New Westminster ... on 8th Avenue and 1st St in the mini-strip Mall right next to the Canadian Tire. That's where all my friend's of Dutch extraction get their fixes! Can't remember the name offhand ... but they have great prices on cheese.