• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

I've seen Lilydale air-chilled chicken at Costco - but I am not sure if it gives you the same results...

This is the only type of chicken we buy. It's good and moist--I never understand when people complain about "dry" chicken breast, because it's never come out dry for me. But maybe it's just good chicken?

I like free-range better though.

Thanks for doing the taste test, Ling! I know it's not scientific but it helps just the same. Now that I know it's a good cocoa, I'll stick with the Bensdorp at Galloways. I just have to buy big bags of it since Mission to Richmond is a bit of a drive.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

There is another method of using ice to cool down the chicken but I belive it is used only in smaller processing plants. Northern Alberta has a processor called lakeland poultry and I belive they use ice.

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

^ Thanks so much Ling it was nice to eat cake and meet other e-gulleters too!

Sandy and I should have shared one....but SO good. We agree with Canuckle that one of the layers was a bit off the others but the cake itself was so good I just kept eating and eating :)

The ganache was delish. mmm sugar coma.

Ideally of course I guess the best way to really test the different cocoa's would be to seperate them into different cake(ettes) so it would be easier to distinguish. Regardless I was very happy to take part and will be more than happy to "take one for the team" and taste test again :biggrin:

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

another whole hearted thank you, Ling! it was great to meet you, too bad it was in such a hurried circumstance. i was terribly illegally parked! i wish i could have met the rest of the gang that was there too.

we ate it later that night after coming home from a rather uninspiring dinner for a friend's birthday. it was delicious!!! the cake saved the night! i'm about to pm you our results!

thank you so much again! mmm....chocolate :wub:

Quentina

[host]

As much fun as this all sounds, I have to remind everyone that taste-testing Ling's baking belongs in Pastry & Baking not in a regional forum. Ling or one of the "testers" should start a new thread in P&B.

Thanks

A.

[/host]

This is more a question of buying resource than a baking question.

I met a new person and want to win his heart through his stomach. His favorite dessert is cheesecake and pecan/raisin tarts.

I need to know where one can get the freshest pecans (or any nuts, basically.) I'd be willing to shell them if I have to.

Also, which brand of cream cheese is the best to use and where can I get them?

Raisins, what's the best and where to buy?

I plan to make a basic plain cheesecake so the quality ingredient can shine through and possibly offer a fresh fruit topping on the side.

I plan to make various tarts, some with bourbon, cranberries, dried blueberries, chocolate.

Thanks for your help. :wub:

There is a dried-goods store in the GI market that sells nuts. They look better (larger on the whole, not many broken pieces) than the stuff from Superstore or Safeway. But it's pretty pricey, if I remember correctly.

I haven't tried another brand of cream cheese besides Philly. Philly isn't a bad product, is it? I don't know how much of a difference a more upscale cream cheese would make in a cheesecake. I buy Lactancia if it's on sale...I've never noticed a difference in my cheesecakes though. I don't know how Winnipeg cream cheese fares in a cheesecake, sorry.

I also don't know if the quality of raisins varies to such a degree where one would be able to discern a difference. You can plump them by steaming them, or soaking them in a liqueur.

Edited by Ling (log)

There is a dried-goods store in the GI market that sells nuts. They look better (larger on the whole, not many broken pieces) than the stuff from Superstore or Safeway. But it's pretty pricey, if I remember correctly.

There is a store on Main and 10th called 'Kea' which has all sorts of nuts. I bought walnuts from them last night and they were pretty good! Price is a little cheaper than GI nut store for most nuts although I bought a HUGE bag of almonds, walnuts, peacans, and pine nuts and I think it ran about $17.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I met a new person and want to win his heart through his stomach.  His favorite dessert is cheesecake and pecan/raisin tarts.

I need to know where one can get the freshest pecans (or any nuts, basically.)  I'd be willing to shell them if I have to.

I plan to make a basic plain cheesecake so the quality ingredient can shine through and possibly offer a fresh fruit topping on the side.

I plan to make various tarts, some with bourbon, cranberries, dried blueberries, chocolate.

Hi there, I like to go to famous foods for my baking ingredients. They have a good turnover and I've always found their products very fresh. As far as cream cheese goes, my preference is to use Gina Marie natural cream cheese (Famous Foods has it), it has no stabalizers or gums and I think the flavor is superior. I was reading in The Baker's Dozen cookbook and they note that the texture is sometimes drier with natural cream cheese than philadelphia cream cheese. However, I haven't had a problem with dryness. Be careful to not overbeat your filling and you should be fine.

As far as raisins go, I usually buy mine at the health food store, simply because it's closer. Hope this helps. Good luck with your guy! :smile:

Edited by capers (log)

• 2 weeks later...

[host]

Since we have a lot of cooks participating in this forum (amateur & professional) I've gathered a bunch of the "Where do I find??" threads into this one uber-shopping thread.

Welcome to the new Vancouver/Western Canada Sourcing Thread!

Looking for chef whites in Winnipeg? Bamboo shoots in Burnaby? Eel in Edmonton? This is the place to ask!

If you find other threads to be merged that I haven't, please PM me

A.

[/host]

I am looking for caviar in Vancouver. I'm planning a French Laundry dinner, and am considering the legendary "Oyster and Pearls" as the first course. Ideally, I would like to keep the cost down as much as possible...there are only 2 of us for dinner, so I'm thinking a 1 ounce jar would be plenty.

I'm open to all types--Osetra, Sevruga, or American (though judging from the prices listed on the internet, I will most likely be buying American or Sevruga).

Anyone know where I can get this? (The fish counter at a high-end grocery store, perhaps? GI?) And how much can I expect to pay for a 1 ounce jar? Thanks! :smile:

I am looking for caviar in Vancouver. I'm planning a French Laundry dinner, and am considering the legendary "Oyster and Pearls" as the first course. Ideally, I would like to keep the cost down as much as possible...there are only 2 of us for dinner, so I'm thinking a 1 ounce jar would be plenty.

I'm open to all types--Osetra, Sevruga, or American (though judging from the prices listed on the internet, I will most likely be buying American or Sevruga).

Anyone know where I can get this? (The fish counter at a high-end grocery store, perhaps? GI?) And how much can I expect to pay for a 1 ounce jar? Thanks!  :smile:

Waggott’s Seafood 604.925.4140, in the market at Park Royal

I'm sure there's other places closer to you but that's the only one I know.

Edited by Chef Metcalf (log)

I met a new person and want to win his heart through his stomach.  His favorite dessert is cheesecake and pecan/raisin tarts.

I need to know where one can get the freshest pecans (or any nuts, basically.)  I'd be willing to shell them if I have to.

I saw beautiful plump raisins in the bulk tubes at Donald's Market on Commercial Drive. IIRC they were organic too, (both the golden and the dark sultana's) and the prices at Donald's are more than reasonable. Just down the street, north, there is a cheese shop and Drive Organics that probably could supply great cream cheese and possibly the nuts (Donald's had bulk tubes, tubes being the type that you pull the handle and the product drops into your bag, of nuts, including perhaps pecans).

Oh, and, I recall a post mentioning that Galloways had moved to a more accessible spot in Richmond, by transit anyway, just west of Lansdowne mall, they'd be the place to check out for a lot of your required ingredients.

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Anyone know where I can get this? (The fish counter at a high-end grocery store, perhaps? GI?) And how much can I expect to pay for a 1 ounce jar? Thanks!  :smile:

Waggott’s Seafood 604.925.4140, in the market at Park Royal

I'm sure there's other places closer to you but that's the only one I know.

A great shop and a helluva nice guy. WF has hurt him though, the last time I talked to him. I hope he stays.

Anyways, I've seen jars at Urban Fare.

I don't know if it's something you are willing to consider, but perhaps Keller wouldn't mind if you switched to Salmon Eggs? If you're truly concerned with expense. Or maybe even tobiko?

^Actually, someone messaged me and told me that the Oysters and Pearl dish is pretty tricky, and so I'm probably going to change my first course to the white truffle-oil infused custard, with black truffle ragout. Thanks for the help though--I'll keep it in mind when I do attempt Keller's signature dish. :smile:

I was willing to swap the osetra for American or sevruga...but I did want the dish to be extra special, so I'm not considering salmon roe or tobiko. :wink:

I think I've read on this board that Urban Fare has black truffles behind the cheese counter (you just ask them for it). Is this still true? :smile:

Edited by Ling (log)

For my bulk food needs, I usually go to "Weight to Go" on West 41st (Dunbar), just opposite the IGA. The items there are very reasonable and fresh (high turnover) and the owner is extremely pleasant. I'm sure you could get your pecans and raisins there.

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."

~ Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Tara Lee

Literary and Culinary Rambles

http://literaryculinaryrambles.blogspot.com

For my bulk food needs, I usually go to "Weight to Go" on West 41st (Dunbar), just opposite the IGA.  The items there are very reasonable and fresh (high turnover) and the owner is extremely pleasant.  I'm sure you could get your pecans and raisins there.

This is where I get my spices! I agree, very reasonable prices. :smile:

Edited by Ling (log)

Ok where can I find "GALANGA" fresh? I found some frozen the other day and I think I saw some at the asian importer at Granville island but I was hoping for something more in line with a local market. Any clues?

Ok where can I find "GALANGA" fresh?  I found some frozen the other day and I think I saw some at the asian importer at Granville island but I was hoping for something more in line with a local market.  Any clues?

The spice joint on Granville Island. Can't remember what it's called though.

Edited to add: The Pepper Pot?

Edited by mtigges (log)