• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

Hmm...I think you may have some luck in a bakery. I'm pretty sure I saw some recently...it might have been at Sen5es. I've never seen "gourmet marshmellows" in a high-end market. If you go over to the Pastry forum, there is a thread on homemade marshmellows. They are pretty easy to do, if you're feeling adventurous!

Here's a link to the recipe many of us have used. It's very easy to make and they keep forever airtight at room temp. The recipe says to pour the mix into a pan but I've read you can pipe the mixture in small kisses on greased foil. That would be easier than cutting it into small pieces.

edited to add link. :blink:

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I make my own...it's dead easy and takes about 15 minutes, start to finish. I don't use egg whites, so they last longer. You can also flavor them with things to make them more 'gourmet'. I like mint or orange ones in hot chocolate. I make coconut ones for my dad...the possibilities are endless. PM me and I will send you the recipe, if you like.

As for buying them...only place I have ever seen them is a Williams and Sonoma in Seattle, but if anyone knows where tiny sugar bombs are hidden in Vancouver, it's Ling...I would call Sen5es and check it out!

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

I'll add to the other endorsements here for made-at-home marshmallows! They really are the best, and so easy to make. They are excellent toasted as well as stirred into hot chocolate.

Yum. Now I know what I'm making this weekend. :biggrin:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I concur with making your own, when i worked at The Fairmont Waterfront we made lots of them, all flavoured with different herbs from the garden. We also used actual marsh mallow root (some that we grew and some brought in) which meant that we didn't have to use as much gelatine, the consistancey would end up a lot lighter.

Colin

Colin Dunn

Burnt Out Exec Chef

I concur with making your own, when i worked at The Fairmont Waterfront we made lots of them, all flavoured with different herbs from the garden. We also used actual marsh mallow root (some that we grew and some brought in) which meant that we didn't have to use as much gelatine, the consistancey would end up a lot lighter.

Welcome to eGullet Colin! Is marsh mallow root something that can be sourced locally?

A.

Hi Vin,

Anona on Main (3610) makes marshmallows which she cuts for you from the pan. I really liked the espresso ones I had there once, but she doesn't always have them. My aunt made them once flavoured with rose water and orange water from an old Martha Stewart magazine. Do you want them small to fit into smaller cups? Homemade ones tend to melt into a big froth quite quicky anyhow.

Now I'm wondering if you could put chocolate chunks in them that also melt into the chocolate...That could be fun!

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

At Meinhardt's on South Granville they have some lovely imported mashmellows from France. They are long and skinny so easy to cut up into small pieces for hot chocolate. The brand escapes... they were about $2 each.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Yeah Devil's food cake is a good idea. I'll have to give you slices and you can rank them in your order of preference! I went to Bernard Callebaut today and bought the cocoa--$6 for 200 grams, not a bad price. The colour is quite pretty--reddish brown. The Bensdorp cocoa is slightly darker, with a bit of red in it. Valrhona is dark brown. And Fry's is medium-dark brown.

Oohhh...can't wait to try them out. :smile:

ETA: I looked at the chocolates and truffles at Bernard Callebaut, but the flavour combinations are more generic (ginger and chocolate, almond and chocolate, orange and chocolate, etc.) so I didn't get any. They have a HUGE selection though! I was surprised the store was so big (this is the Blundell location in Richmond).

Edited by Ling (log)

-Pernigotti

Sorry I didn't see this before your trip to Seattle - they have it (had it?) at ChefShop (on-line retailer with store in Seattle.) I have a large supply I could have sampled off to you as my baking has dwindled off to almost nothing. I like it, but haven't really thought about how much of a difference it makes. I have liked the cocoa cakes I made this past year.

Thanks anyway...maybe I will order some online. :smile:

Edited by Ling (log)

At Meinhardt's on South Granville they have some lovely imported mashmellows from France. They are long and skinny so easy to cut up into small pieces for hot chocolate. The brand escapes... they were about $2 each.

Cheers,

Stephen

Oh yes--these were the ones I saw recently. (Although Sen5es may have them too.)

-Pernigotti

Sorry I didn't see this before your trip to Seattle - they have it (had it?) at ChefShop (on-line retailer with store in Seattle.) I have a large supply I could have sampled off to you as my baking has dwindled off to almost nothing. I like it, but haven't really thought about how much of a difference it makes. I have liked the cocoa cakes I made this past year.

Thanks anyway...maybe I will order some online. :smile:

Still there - and a couple of other brands as well:

cocoa & chocolate

I can't be the only one who had to Google SALSIFY  :unsure:

A.

Salsify is a wonderful thing - you can make the most amazing soup with it, or roast it in the oven and serve it with Halibut or just ion a bed of greens. It is very flavourful and pairs nicely with aromatic white wines.

Drool...

The belly rules the mind.

I remember Chef getting some at work last year. I don't think it's quite time for it yet. Like Island grown kiwi, doesn't salsify need a good frost first? I doubt it's much of a commercial crop, but your local farmers market should have some soon-ish. I will keep my eyes peeled around these parts. Saanich Organics (a co-op of organic producers) delivers some pretty unusual produce in the winter.

I had my first Jerusalem artichokes last week, from a garden down the road from my house. They have a community market Wednesday from 3-6 (Rayn or Shine :) and I will inquire if they are producing any salsify. Not exactly Vancouver, but close!

-- Matt.

edited to add URL, way off topic but interesting for local folk

Vic West Community Garden

Edited by Matt R. (log)