• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

Apart from South China Seas at GIM, Drive Organics on Commercial Drive sells the best selection of Wild mushrooms I've seen so far.

I'll check Drive Organics tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip.

Say hi to T for me.

That is, assuming I recognize that dog.

If by chance I'm wrong then as usual I blame it on the wine :)

T

I'll tell him you said hi!

The belly rules the mind.

I drove through Nakusp (Central Kootenays) last week and mushroom harvest was in full swing.  There were numerous buyers there with signs up looking for Pine (Enoki) mushrooms, Morrels and others.

Are morrels in season now? I thought they were MArch/April time?

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

Apart from South China Seas at GIM, Drive Organics on Commercial Drive sells the best selection of Wild mushrooms I've seen so far.

I'll check Drive Organics tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip.

Say hi to T for me.

That is, assuming I recognize that dog.

If by chance I'm wrong then as usual I blame it on the wine :)

T

I'll tell him you said hi!

:rolleyes:

I'll tell him you said hi.

He works at South China Seas, and he will give you any number of awesome recommendations on things to buy and to cook - he just made a fantastic hot sauce that he might still have a few samples of...

The belly rules the mind.

"Melt some Valrhona with half and half (or whole milk). Add sugar to taste. Sprinkle with some cinnamon.

(And if you want to gild the lily, top with homemade marshmallows!)"

Thanks, Ling, I was wondering if you could do that with Valrhona.

I remember the best hot chocolate I've ever had was in Argentina

where they gave us a steaming cup of whole milk with a bar of chocolate

melting in it. OMG! I'd never had hot chocolate made with a chunk of

chocolate before (I know, I'm remarkably clueless for someone who's

been to nearly 60 countries!) Don't know what kind of chocolate they

used for it; wish I'd remembered to ask.

Anyhoo, I saw Callebaut for sale in the bins at Save-On Foods and I think,

THINK, I saw Valhrona too. Can I be sure the quality is the same at

a grocery store as at a specialty store?

Anyhoo, I saw Callebaut for sale in the bins at Save-On Foods and I think,

THINK, I saw Valhrona too. Can I be sure the quality is the same at

a grocery store as at a specialty store?

They sell Callebaut at Save-on-Foods, but it's cheaper at Superstore. I don't think I've ever seen Valrhona sold there...unless it's something they've started carrying in the last month or so...

They sell Callebaut at Save-on-Foods, but it's cheaper at Superstore. I don't think I've ever seen Valrhona sold there...unless it's something they've started carrying in the last month or so...

Me too. Never seen Valrhona at any of the Save-Ons I've been to, only Callebaut plus another brand (Rogers?).

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Do they sell them in a box?

Do they sell them in a bag?

Are they better than the Knox?

Will it make my cats' tails wag? (unlikely as they are Manx, and hence tailless)

No, but seriously, I have a recipe that calls for sheets rather than Knox. I am pretty sure that I can substitute x amount of Knox, but I am curious about the sheets.

Does anyone have a definite source?

Also! fresh duck legs. Any ideas? Moosh has suggested Windsor and I will be passing by there, but if anyone has recommendations I am happy to hear.

Cheers guys :smile:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Gelatin - Gourmet Warehouse. the ones I had came in a plastic package but I couldn't tell you if there was a difference, I never used them.

Duck legs - Phone Windsor and they will bring them in for you. Specify that you want fresh and not frozen (that will change the delivery date)

Deb, pop in and I will give you what you need. I have a case ( 1000 sheets ) and it will take a lifetime to go through it.

I am buying cases of duck legs from Tarson Foods. The come in frozen and we work them from there. The price is good and they always have some. Maybe you could drop off a pastry or two and some nice restaurateur would get you a case or even split it with you

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

anyone know where to find gelatin powder? and differences between powder vs sheet? I'm thinking powder just seems a lot whole more convenient..

Gelatin powder is available in most any grocery store...it is made by Knox...using it rox, just don't spill it on your sox and please, don't try to feed it to a fox. It probably tastes funny with lox. It comes in a bright orange box.

Inside the box are little sachet of gelatin and instructions on how to rehydrate it.

I really need to get a hobby or something.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

anyone know where to find gelatin powder? and differences between powder vs sheet? I'm thinking powder just seems a lot whole more convenient..

Gelatin powder is available in most any grocery store...it is made by Knox...using it rox, just don't spill it on your sox and please, don't try to feed it to a fox. It probably tastes funny with lox. It comes in a bright orange box.

Inside the box are little sachet of gelatin and instructions on how to rehydrate it.

You and me both.

Wait, isn't that what eG is?! :raz:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

You and me both.

Wait, isn't that what eG is?! :raz:

eG is not a hobby, it's a lifestyle! :raz:

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

I went to Meinhardt today and the Michel Cluizel chocolate isn't in yet.

(On a side note, they are now selling their SB 99% for $25 bucks for a 9.7 oz. bar! :sad: The semi-sweet and bittersweet at $17 are still a buck cheaper per bar than Urban Fare. And you can find SB cocoa nibs for $18 a box at Meinhardt now. I just made a batch of brownies and sprinkled them with the nibs.)

Edited by Ling (log)

never tried Dagoba cocoa, but have tried their chocolate. Aparently its organic from Oregon? They have a bar thats 87%, very nice, almost not sweet at all. I recommended it to my diebetic chocoholic grandma. She hated the aspertame chocolate. They also have a bar with chilis and cocoa nibs. mmmm Crunchy hot goodness. Speaking of nibs.... Ling instead of just sprinkling them on your brownies, fold them into a chewy caramel and spread that on top. Its silly good!