• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

...If I can find a photo of them, I will post.

From the Spanish food site Lareira.net - here's a photo/info about the fresh Pimientos de Padrón. Also from Spain - a tasty-looking pic of the flash-fried product. :raz:

Memo

Yeah, baby! That's the stuff. Thanks.

I placed a call to my local Thriftys to see if they can order in a case.

Fresh ones available here. :biggrin:

I wonder if Normand's on Commercial Drive would have them?

Edited by ~cayenne~ (log)

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Well, The UBC Apple Festival is just a couple weeks away, so they're probably in high gear and will have plenty of suggestions for you.  Give 'em a shout!

Thanks Kurtis, that would be perfect to go to! Unfortunately The wedding (it's a wedding cake!) is on the 15th, but I'll post something on their message board. Thanks for the link

I have seen Lady apples somewhere recently (very helpful I know :biggrin: ). I thought it was Choices on 16th but when I checked this evening (well, yesterday) I didn't see any. So the other place I was shopping recently was Granville Island, though I can't pinpoint a location for you. I think the Denman Island Apple Guy (don't know if that's actually what he goes by) might start showing up on weekends some time soon.

Or.... in case you feel like taking a trip to Salt Spring Island this weekend, they are having their annual apple festival on Sunday. It's a great event and someone is sure to have Lady apples and possibly other small varieties as well.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Did you make it out to Trout Lake today...  beautiful and tasty crab apples.  The looked like big ranier cherries.

I would also check out the apple festival at UBC Botanical gardens on Oct 15 and 16. They grow a variety of apples, and may be able to help you out with your search.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Whatever Puddifoot may have on the restaurant side, they don't seem to have any on the retail side. (They did have some small spoons in white porcelain but they seemed perhaps too delicate, and not shaped like the examples of marrow spoons that I have seen...to me they looked as though they might snap if you dug in...more suited to mustard than marrow.)

They took my name and will get back to me during the week when the wholesale side is available.

I will keep you updated!

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

i usually shop @ santa barbra on commerical but i am pretty sure that they're not avail there. i checked out the safeway by my house, but no luck. i am thinking that i can prob. find them in granville island, but i would like to know for sure before making the trip.

any suggestions?

thanks!

Yup. Louie, the GIM mushroom man.

Anything fresh that is in season.

Most anything dried.

Worth a look.

Best,

Owzer

Thursday AM @ GIM there was somebody selling more varities of Wild Mushrooms than I've ever seen.

It's usually used for pancakes and I understand that it's from Hawaii. Does anyone know if I can purchase this in Vancouver? I thought that I could mix regular maple syrup with coconut milk/cream but was told it was not like that.

Sure would like to try some.

Heard it was white truffle season, where can one purchase a truffle in Vancouver???

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

Apart from South China Seas at GIM, Drive Organics on Commercial Drive sells the best selection of Wild mushrooms I've seen so far.

I'll check Drive Organics tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip.

Say hi to T for me.

That is, assuming I recognize that dog.

If by chance I'm wrong then as usual I blame it on the wine :)

T

slowfood/slowwine

Heard it was white truffle season, where can one purchase a truffle in Vancouver???

We cought Chef Fowke one last year for Xmas. I recall we got it from the South China Seas Trading Co. on Granville Island, in the GIM, IIRC.

I wonder if it's 100% authentic.. as there are 'chinese truffle' scams seen before (not specifically here, though). Truffles are not exclusive to Europe, and there is a Chinese species of it that is often deemed of poorer quality and often sold illegaly as the European one.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

A couple of years back I bought a small white truffle at Urban Fare - it was from Oregon.....needless to say, it was underwhelming...I wonder how one would be able to tell the difference from a "chinese truffle" and a European one?

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

I drove through Nakusp (Central Kootenays) last week and mushroom harvest was in full swing. There were numerous buyers there with signs up looking for Pine (Enoki) mushrooms, Morrels and others.

This is the 2nd year I've been in the area during harvest time but I have yet to figure out how I, as a non-commercial buyer, could possibly buy some of the mushrooms. I've tried to ask locals but they all seem pretty closed mouthed about it. I've been told to stop where the pickers are parked on highway 6 and buy from them, but it's kind of hard to tell the picker trucks from the rest of the trucks on the highway... so I've never been successful with this. I even stopped at the Mushroom Addition restaurant in Fauquier to ask where I could buy and received blank stares and questions why I would want to.

I'll be at the Calgary Farmer's market this weekend trying to find a source.... I need mushroom soup!

Vanderb (ever hungry)

Amateur with dreams of grandeur