• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

If it's just for practice, why not just use the outside of a turned over cake pan? Washable and re-usable.

good question...i asked her why she doesn't just make her own and i got the gas face as an answer. i don't understand cake decorators.

anyway, thanks everybody. i'll pass this on.

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee

i didn't write that book, but i did pass 8th grade without stress. and i'm a FCAT for sure.

Wow...this brings back memories of Sunday dinner at my grandmothers. The only ones that I have seen here in Vancouver were  antique made from sterling silver and with the old Vancouver Club crest on them. They were in the "Source" on Main Street. Yummy marrow... :biggrin:

What a great idea for a source! I'm sure quite a few old boys clubs have these at the back of a cupboard somewhere.

I bet Government House has a few of those kicking around, too.

It's quite an elegant piece of equipment that has fallen out of use. Besides ebay, maybe a restaurant supply house could assist.

Stopped in at Chocolate Arts today and they have a fairly good selection of Valrhona, Cacao Berry and Scharffenberger. Dolt that I am, however, I didn't check for cocoa. :rolleyes:

Not sure about how they stack up for baking, but my decided preference is for Cacao Berry over Valrhona in a straight side-by-side taste test.

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

So which one makes for a really rich, chocolately

cup of cocoa when you want something special (not Fry's)?

Melt some Valrhona with half and half (or whole milk). Add sugar to taste. Sprinkle with some cinnamon.

(And if you want to gild the lily, top with homemade marshmallows!)

Edited by Ling (log)

Stopped in at Chocolate Arts today and they have a fairly good selection of Valrhona, Cacao Berry and Scharffenberger.  Dolt that I am, however, I didn't check for cocoa.  :rolleyes:

Not sure about how they stack up for baking, but my decided preference is for Cacao Berry over Valrhona in a straight side-by-side taste test.

I don't think I remember seeing cocoa at Chocolate Arts. Cacao Berry chocolate is definitely miles ahead of Callebaut.

Don't know if you've had any luck tracking some down, but Kitchen Conservatory - way over in St. Louis, Missouri - sell a marrow spoon crafted from horn. At US$14.95 a pop, though, it would be good if you could source a Canadian supplier.

Memo

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

I'm looking for a fresh source of Pimientos de Padrón. . This small green pepper is served as a botana (snack) in Spain, flash fried and sprinkled with salt to accompany drinks. It's not a hot chile, but an intense grassy, slightly bitter flavour.

Since most chile growers in B.C. are beginning to harvest, perhaps someone out there has seen them for sale? Or maybe you've seen them at your favourite highend supermarket, looking neglected.

If I can find a photo of them, I will post.

Thanks, Shelora

Edited by shelora (log)

I have this urge to get myself some marrow spoons, since it's getting into osso buco season.

Are they pretty readily available? has anyone seen any around that are not antique/hugely expensive?

I'd love something modern looking that would go with my flatware, but I'm open to other styles as long as they're not too pricey.

If anyone can recommend any specific stores, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

You can get them at Puddifoot. 263-0971

Leonard

...If I can find a photo of them, I will post.

From the Spanish food site Lareira.net - here's a photo/info about the fresh Pimientos de Padrón. Also from Spain - a tasty-looking pic of the flash-fried product. :raz:

Memo

Edited by Memo (log)

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

...If I can find a photo of them, I will post.

From the Spanish food site Lareira.net - here's a photo/info about the fresh Pimientos de Padrón. Also from Spain - a tasty-looking pic of the flash-fried product. :raz:

Memo

Yeah, baby! That's the stuff. Thanks.

I placed a call to my local Thriftys to see if they can order in a case.