• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

A friend is looking for a fake cake to practice cake decoration. Anybody know where to go? Apparently there are these little styrofoam rounds in different sizes...

(She does not want those paper/cardboard "cakes" that some cutesy shop is selling. What the hell... who buys that isht.?!) I digress.

Thank you.

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee

i didn't write that book, but i did pass 8th grade without stress. and i'm a FCAT for sure.

Hey, go to The Foam Shop and get them to custom one for you, all sizes for tiers, squares, circles etc. . .

They just cut the foam for you, so it's easiest to get exactly what you want.

Washability wise, styrofoam would be a great option, and any arts and crafts shop should be able to help.

Owner

Winebar @ Fiction

Lucy Mae Brown

Century - modern latin -

I suggest you try a special occasions/wedding supply store.

They usually stock foam-type rounds for decorating.

An alternate material might be the round stacking box-type canisters found at "dollar" stores.

Crafts were in my past - so I thought I'd pass it on these suggestions to you! :cool:

PS - If all else fails, I've got a realistic squeaky-toy round of brie (my brother-in-law brought back from Normandy). PM-me for details!

Memo

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

I usually grab the Valrhona cocoa from Meinhardt and use in for my baking, but I've never paid much attention to whether it was good or not. (I prefer recipes with chocolate, and usually just use cocoa in small amounts, like in my brownie recipe.) My new favourite chocolate cake recipe, however, calls for a substantial amount of cocoa, so now I need to find something that might be better than the stuff I'm using--apparently, Valrhona rated dead last in the CI taste test.

I'm looking for these brands, which someone recommended in the Pastry forum.

-Callebaut cocoa (I don't like the chocolate for baking, but apparently their cocoa came in at No. 1 in the CI tasting)

-Cacao Berry Extra Brute

-Droste

-Pernigotti

Thanks! :smile:

I wouldn't trust a taste test. I find different cocoas lend themselves to different uses. So depending on what the taste test included it could be misleading. I find when only a small amount of cocoa is called for, a lesser quality cocoa like callebaut adds a stronger flavor. But in a situation where a high ratio of cocoa is called for and is the main flavoring component, something more delicate adds a nicer flavor. For that I prefer Valrhona, but Cacao Berry is much less expensive.

Cacao Berry Extra Brut is my fave cocoa powder :biggrin:

The Berry Plein Arome is nice too but the former is the bizness, imo.

Beautiful color, aroma, taste.

Can't go wrong with it.

The Valrhona cocoa always has seemed a bit one dimensional to me, which is strange, since I'm a big fan of Valrhona chocolate.

2317/5000

I have this urge to get myself some marrow spoons, since it's getting into osso buco season.

Are they pretty readily available? has anyone seen any around that are not antique/hugely expensive?

I'd love something modern looking that would go with my flatware, but I'm open to other styles as long as they're not too pricey.

If anyone can recommend any specific stores, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Wow...this brings back memories of Sunday dinner at my grandmothers. The only ones that I have seen here in Vancouver were antique made from sterling silver and with the old Vancouver Club crest on them. They were in the "Source" on Main Street. Yummy marrow... :biggrin:

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Yeah...the $600 spoon is a bit out of my range :wink:

And plastic sounds fairly abominable.

I suppose I should be happy to have a reason to stroll through antique stores, but I was hoping there were some nice, new, non-tarnishing ones that someone would have seen on their rounds. I have been avoiding cookware shops as being extremely detrimental to my Visa balance. :blush:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Deborah,

Make sure if you buy them on the internet you are getting a marrow spoon and not a marrow priest which anglers use to help gut fish.

If you find any modern ones pm me I would be interested in a modern version.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I've got a line on Droste cocoa.

I also know where you can get some Scharffenberger.

Patrick S posted that he thinks SB cocoa is very bad, worse than Hershey's. I like their chocolate, but I'm somewhat hesitant to try the cocoa since no one else seems to use it in the Baking forum.

Badiane: I use Fry's sometimes too :wink: