• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top 10 Best Beers for Fall

BigFeaster

I've recently been broadening my understanding of beer, especially seasonal beers to try and get the freshest and the best. I just came across this list of ten recommended fall-time beers. I've resolved to try them all, starting probably with the Abbey Brown Ale, if I can find it.

So I'll put it to the experts and to the egullet community-- Does this list cut it?

I'm sure some of you have suggestions for other, perhaps less known of seasonal fall brews. What are they?

http://www.novusvinum.com/beer/features/top10fall_beers.html

They all look promising to me. Glad they didn't try to stick an obligatory BudMillerCoors Lite brew in there somehow.

I like Bell's Brewery in general. That Java Stout might make a good marriage of coffee and beer, my two main drinks. :biggrin:

Davydd

It is just an Anglicized Welsh spelling for David to celebrate my English/Welsh ancestry. The Welsh have no "v" in their alphabet or it would be spelled Dafydd.

I must warn you. My passion is the Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich

Now blogging: Pork Tenderloin Sandwich Blog

As far as true 'seasonals' go, things are only going to get more interesting from here on out. Lots of beer folk, myself included, really anticipate the Winter/Holiday selections the most. But the autumn selections are nothing to sneeze at, though- less variety perhaps (variations on Oktoberfest and pumpkin beers, really), but still beers that you can look forward to.

This year the Paulaner is really solid, but in a pinch you could also go for the Hacker-Pschorr. It might even be interesting to do a side-by-side. The trick here is to look at the dates on the labels (lower right side for both the Paulaner and the H-P)- some unscrupulous distributors or retailers will try to push last year's stock on the unsuspecting public. As more than one person in the biz has told me "you can't even give away an Oktoberfest in Noveber", so the bad guys will just wait until the next year.

I haven't tried all of the beers on the list either (some have a limited distribution area), but like Chris said substitutions are available. It does look like there aren't any poor choices, though, which is how I tend to look at these types of lists.

One bit of advice- do not overchill any of these beers, don't serve them straight from your fridge. They are not meant to be enjoyed ice cold and will not show very well if they are. You don't want crazy warm, either- if you can keep them around 50F, maybe a little lower or higher, they'll be fine.

One other thing- as to the Bellhaven, definitely sample the bottled version. The can has a nitro-widget that many believe obscures the flavor of the beer.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

One bit of advice- do not overchill any of these beers, don't serve them straight from your fridge. They are not meant to be enjoyed ice cold and will not show very well if they are. You don't want crazy warm, either- if you can keep them around 50F, maybe a little lower or higher, they'll be fine.

very good point, i know many first time artisianal beer drinkers from America fail to take this into account, unless your from a wine background like I am.

Queston: Has anyone tried that Doghouse "Punkin Ale"? I have seen a few on the market and never picked one up. from the sounds of that artical this is supposed to be a very good example of a pumpkin brew. any tasting notes?

thanks in advance..

M

Grand Cru Productions

Private High End Dinners and Personal Chef Service

in Chicago, Illinois

For more information email me at:

grandcruproductions@hotmail.com

Queston: Has anyone tried that Doghouse "Punkin Ale"? I have seen a few on the market and never picked one up. from the sounds of that artical this is supposed to be a very good example of a pumpkin brew. any tasting notes?

thanks in advance..

I think you are referring to Dogfish Head Punkin Ale, a rich, bright beer full of pumpkin flavor rather than just pumpkin "spices". Oddly refreshing, with a decent hop prescence. It pairs well with good MExican food, I have found. Paired with good arepas, and even a plate of hot, cheesy nachos, it's a decent brew with food.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I'd like to add a local favorite, Bob's 47 (lager) from Boulevard Brewing Company in KC. It's only distributed in the midwest but if you're traveling through and happen to see it, give it a try.

They're planning to get a litre-size bottling line for the newly expanded brewing facility so it will be in Chimay-like bottles starting next fall.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

thanks in advance..

I think you are referring to Dogfish Head Punkin Ale, a rich, bright beer full of pumpkin flavor rather than just pumpkin "spices".  Oddly refreshing, with a decent hop prescence.  It pairs well with good MExican food, I have found. Paired with good arepas, and even a plate of hot, cheesy nachos, it's a decent brew with food.

ooops, thats my dislexia kicking in, lol :laugh: .

yes thats the one i was thinking about. and it sounds wonderful, exactly what i was looking for. thanks

Grand Cru Productions

Private High End Dinners and Personal Chef Service

in Chicago, Illinois

For more information email me at:

grandcruproductions@hotmail.com

That looks like a good list to me. I've never had Dogfish's pumpkin beer though. I'll have to run down to Bevmo this weekend and look for it.

Fall is definetely when I start switching my drinking to ales. Especially RISs.

• 1 month later...

That list looks very East-Coast centered to me. My all-time favorite winter seasonal is Deschutes Brewery's Jubel Ale. They happen to also be my favorite brewery overall. A lot of people like Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale, but I think there are many better seasonals out there.

Tim

Tim

“Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.”

Anthony Bourdain

Sierra Nevada Celebration especially means the holidays for me, a great aperitif beer for Thanksgiving dinner, and the harbinger of the holiday crazies to follow.

Also, the Saranac Twelve Beers (of Xmas, it used to say), with its special one-off brews, is always the best sign that the holidays are near.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

thanks in advance..

I think you are referring to Dogfish Head Punkin Ale, a rich, bright beer full of pumpkin flavor rather than just pumpkin "spices".  Oddly refreshing, with a decent hop prescence.  It pairs well with good MExican food, I have found. Paired with good arepas, and even a plate of hot, cheesy nachos, it's a decent brew with food.

ooops, thats my dislexia kicking in, lol :laugh: .

yes thats the one i was thinking about. and it sounds wonderful, exactly what i was looking for. thanks

I had to chuckle as the Dogfish Head is not one of my favorite pumpkins as I find the hop presence off-putting in the style, even though I generally love hoppy beers.

My favorite pumpkins are two North Carolina products, Cottonwood Pumpkin and Edenton Pumpkinhead, followed by Southampton Pumpkin and, surprisingly, Saranac Pumpkin. I'll be trying the Smuttynose Pumpkin in the next few days and will be interested to see where that ranks. My least favorite Pumpkin - Shipyard's Pumpkinhead. It's even worse than Blue Moon.

I'd like to add a local favorite, Bob's 47 (lager) from Boulevard Brewing Company in KC.  It's only distributed in the midwest but if you're traveling through and happen to see it, give it a try. 

They're planning to get a litre-size bottling line for the newly expanded brewing facility so it will be in Chimay-like bottles starting next fall.

I just finished a bottle of Bob's 47 that I received in a trade and wow, am I impressed. Not normally a lager drinker, I could make this my everyday brew. They characterize the beer as a Munich Helles, but I think of it as something of a hybrid, with characteristics of a Vienna Lager and an Oktoberfest as well. Both the malt and hop selections were incredibly thoughtful as the beer has the refreshing character of a lager, but none of the drawbacks such as a lack of malt flavor, a grainy hop character and that lager twang that put me off most beers in the category.

It was sitting on my shelf and I wouldn't have tried it had you not mentioned it in your post.

Thanks, moosnsqrl (whatever that means???), for the inspiration.