• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Multi-Tasking Equipment

Kim Shook

There is brownie recipe testing going on Chez Shook today. Slicing brownies is always a challenge, I think. It just suddenly occurred to me to try my pizza cutter. It worked wonderfully!! No sticking, no big chunks of top crust coming off. Great idea!

Anyone else have any multi taskers that you use that might help the rest of us? Kim

I use a knife to pry stuff open.

BAD! :shock:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Little trick I saw in a magazine just this month: use a mesh tea strainer to sprinkle confectioners' sugar or cocoa over cakes or candies.

A ball-type tea strainer also makes a good holder for a bouquet garni or whole spices you want to flavor a stew, but need to pull out before serving.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I use my kitchen shears  to cut up pizza.

Me too! :smile:

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I also use kitchen shears to cut up pizza. They are also great for cutting green onions and snipping up whole canned tomatoes.

Not food related, but I have used my pizza cutter to cut through the layers of paint on old windows that have been painted shut.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

Sure: a potato masher to squash avocado meat into guacamole.

A blade type pastry blender to cut up eggs for egg salad.

There is brownie recipe testing going on Chez Shook today.  Slicing brownies is always a challenge, I think.  It just suddenly occurred to me to try my pizza cutter.  It worked wonderfully!!  No sticking, no big chunks of top crust coming off.  Great idea!

Anyone else have any multi taskers that you use that might help the rest of us?  Kim

Buen provecho, Panosmex

I also use the pastry cutter to mince up egg yolks for deviled eggs.

I use the potato masher to mash up peeled bananas when making banana bread.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

[...] I never, EVER, cook without a hemostat in my pocket.

Hmm. Care to elaborate? I have a hemostat or two around the place, but never used them for culinary purposes; one possible exception being the needle-holder that I sometimes use to remove pinbones from salmon filets.

I also use the pastry cutter to mince up egg yolks for deviled eggs.

I use the potato masher to mash up peeled bananas when making banana bread.

A pastry cutter to break up ground meat when frying it = works great.

My 2004 eG Blog

[...] I never, EVER, cook without a hemostat in my pocket.

Hmm. Care to elaborate? I have a hemostat or two around the place, but never used them for culinary purposes; one possible exception being the needle-holder that I sometimes use to remove pinbones from salmon filets.

Use a hemostat for loads of things - what comes immediately to mind is grabbing that darn cartilage in chicken filets to get it out and holding on to the silverskin when prepping pork tenderloins.

My 2004 eG Blog

Sometimes I use my wooden meat hammer to smash the occasional roach. Those little devils go every-which-away when you get a good, solid direct hit (kinda like Gallagher with those watermelons, only better!).

Though, when I get excited and use the waffle side of the hammer, it's not nearly as much fun. Kind of anticlimactic, really, and much harder to wipe off of the hammer.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I am adding to the list as things come to mind or hand.

I use a denture brush to scrub tiny veggies like fingerlings and other miniature potatoes.

I use the jar lifter from my canning kit to take ramekins out of a water bath. This will only work on ramekins with a slight rim or a slight flare at the top. They will not work on straight-sided ramekins.

I use my long, spring-loaded tongs to reach items on the top shelf of my cabinets. With the tongs I can drag items to the front of the shelf and once there, I can just safely reach them.

My 2004 eG Blog

I have a large splatter screen that has feet so it can be put on the counter and the screen won't mess the counter. It also works great as a cooling rack for cookies, extra pancakes cooked for another meal, etc.

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

I use my oven to allow freshly-made noodles to dry out. I just put thin kitchen towels over the racks, lay the noodles on the towels, and leave the door open a few inches.

The best part is that the cats can't get to them there, and I can eat them with confidence, knowing they weren't walked or nibbled upon when I wasn't looking. :blink:

In a small kitchen like mine, it also keeps various noodle/pasta-drying apparatuses off the counter while drying takes place, and that's a definite advantage.

I use the jar lifter from my canning kit to take ramekins out of a water bath.  This will only work on ramekins with a slight rim or a slight flare at the top.  They will not work on straight-sided ramekins.

Why didn't I think of that??? It's both obvious and brilliant! :biggrin: