• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Really Decent Kosher Pickle, Freehold Area

Rebecca263

Yah, yah, I'm sick, it's supposedly end stage cancer, I'm going through total skin electron beam radiation, blahdiblah blah...

Here's the important thing. I NEED a decent pickle. I do not want to meet the end (or face the fight against an end) without having savored, at least once more, a delicious-perfectly pickled-puckery-garlicky-yet-not-overpoweringly-so cucumber, even if it isn't of my own manufacture. I have NO energy. I AM fussy about my pickles. The plebian yet enjoyable BaTampte isn't going to cut is this time. Where can I send a well meaning friend in the Freehold area to acquire this lovely for me? I prefer a more than slightly green pickle, a well pickled, but still light and crisp pickle, where the flesh hasn't greened as yet. Garlic is a must. Vinegar is a no no. Brine is the all important base. Can any of you NJ experts assist me? My friend is ready for action at any time.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Well, there's the Russian deli on Route 9 South behind the Emporium gas station... that might be the best bet close to Freehold. There's also Pickleicious in Teaneck, Pickles & Olives in Lyndhurst... I don't know the Freehold area well enough.

Hopefully we can find some sort of brine that reverses your illness. :-)

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

I assume you are talking about a Jewish-style pickle, the half-sour type, made without any vinegar. If so, Trader Joes has some excellent half-sours in quart jars, in the refrigerated section. They are a bargain at under $3 for the quart jar. Worlds above anything available in the supermarkets.

Edited by menton1 (log)

Is that Russian Deli near a place called Russian Dream? I remember driving by that minimall a number of times and wondering about those places.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Russian Dream is farther south than the deli. The deli is before Marlboro and Union Hill Road, almost halfway between there and exit 124 for Route 9 on the Parkway.

Russian Dream is quite fabulous, though. Good for groups. My family all went there on Mother's Day and it was rampantly loud with a couple of singers and lots of family chatter. The food was absolutely delicious, though. Try the lamb chops or the salmon. The latter is served in puff pastry shaped like a fish. A really beautiful dish.

Edited by MJP (log)

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

There's a guy that sells great barrel pickles at the Collingswood Flea Market (indoors) on Hwy 33, not far from Freehold. My family has been buying pickles from him for over 25 years.

P.S. My thoughts are with you.

The pickle stand at Collingswood is awesome. The pickles and everything else they sell are all very good. Don't know about the owner being a "guy," as every time I've gone its a mother/daughter team. Very close to Freehold. Definitely direct your friend there.

For the outrageous price of $46 (including the pickles), you can have a gallon of the famous original Guss' pickles shipped to your door -- if you order Wednesday they arrive Friday.

http://www.gusspickle.com/

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I wonder how much lower than 67th St their lower East side locale is. I mean, I HAVE to be in the city anyway, I may as well get a pickle out of the cursed trip. We'll look into those guys. I'm thinking of forcing, I mean ASKING, my #1boy to take me to Picklelicious in Teaneck, once he arrives here to do my bidding.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

http://www.picklelicious.com

They deliver and are just as good as the above IMO. it can be a stop when you come up north.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species