• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Monmouth County - online restaurant reviews

McFoodie

I recently posted a list of my favorite local restaurants on my website/blog dedicated to affordable gourmet food, www.mcfoodie.com. Please check it out and post or email me any comments, feedback, additional restaurants/resources or other suggestions. The website is very new and this is just a hobby so please be kind. :)

I should explain that we hesitated before posting about the website here because it still needs a lot of work. For now, it simply lists our favorite restaurants in Monmouth County (and Montreal, with other cities coming soon) along with contact info and website for each restaurant, with full reviews to be posted shortly. We also list some popular restaurants that we don't particularly love for the sake of completeness but say so in our reviews.

The website was created with the idea that often times when deciding where to have dinner, we end up going back to our usual places rather than taking a risk on something new. The site already indicates which places are our favorites. When this site it more complete, it will also include a search tool that actually works to allow you to find a new place without having to take a risk.

For now, it's still a work in progress and any comments, suggestions or restaurant recommendations are truly appreciated.

I enjoyed perusing your site as I also live in Monmouth and frequent many of the restaurants mentioned. There is an eGulleter who has also put together a web page which links to the home pages of an extensive list of Monmouth county restaurants. I don't recall the website name, but if you search the Jersey board you'll come across the post which is also a very useful resource.

McFoodie - Great job with your site. I'm sure it was a labor of love. Being a Monmouth County resident myself, I found it interesting reading another persons take on the many restaurants in the area (most we agreed on btw). I would only suggest that you put Brandl on your short list and that you remove Meritage as it has closed. Again thank you for the undertaking. On a side note, I see that you list Illianos as a family favorite. I couldn't agree more as it seems we order from the place at least twice a week (the chicken vinegar is a staple for me). You wouldn't happen to be from Ocean would you? :smile:

Edited by bgut1 (log)

Thanks for checking out the site and the kind words. I have already made the correction regarding Meritage and look forward to checking out Brandl asap.

As for me, yes, I grew up in Ocean (mostly), moved to NYC for 10 years, and recently moved back to Long Branch, so I'm truly enjoying the current food renaissance at the Jersey Shore. Now if only I could find great Indian, Thai and Chinese restaurants locally....

Looking over your list a bit more closely, you should add to your "gotta try" list:

Inlet Cafe

Drews Bayshore Bistro

Far East Taste

Crown Palace for Dim Sum only

If you're going to come out to Freehold for Mexican, you'll be sorely disappointed with Escondidos -- its horrible. El Meson in downtown Freehold Borough is definitely the place to go, but note that it is BYO.

Thanks for the tips. I love Inlet Cafe and have it on a long list of restaurants I have yet to add to my site. Drews Bayshore has been on my To Do list for a while and I will certainly add the others you recommended. And yes, I was disappointed by Escondido's on a recent visit.

Just yesterday I ate at Aligado for lunch and 2Senza for dinner... reviews will be posted on mcfoodie.com later today.

There is an eGulleter who has also put together a web page which links to the home pages of an extensive list of Monmouth county restaurants.  I don't recall the website name, but if you search the Jersey board you'll come across the post which is also a very useful resource.

that'd likely be =Mark.

I don't know Mark but have come across his website in my research of local restaurants and certainly appreciate his passion for food and restaurants.

Thanks for checking out the site and the kind words. I have already made the correction regarding Meritage and look forward to checking out Brandl asap.

As for me, yes, I grew up in Ocean (mostly), moved to NYC for 10 years, and recently moved back to Long Branch, so I'm truly enjoying the current food renaissance at the Jersey Shore. Now if only I could find great Indian, Thai and Chinese restaurants locally....

Far East Taste should more than satisfy your Thai food cravings.

Really?? I passed by Far East Taste today and it looked a little dingy - I guess you can't judge a restaurant by its strip mall surroundings. I will suck it up and give it a try next week.

Also, I had lunch at El Meson today and although it wasn't perfect (the beef in the enchiladas was tough and had a funny aftertaste), we totally loved the place. I will post a full review on www.mcfoodie.com tomorrow. Thanks for the tip, Jsfein.

The same thing kept me from going in for a few months until I finally got the courage to go in. Not as bad inside and the food is fantastic. You will not be disappointed. I promise.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

Really?? I passed by Far East Taste today and it looked a little dingy - I guess you can't judge a restaurant by its strip mall surroundings. I will suck it up and give it a try next week.

Also, I had lunch at El Meson today and although it wasn't perfect (the beef in the enchiladas was tough and had a funny aftertaste), we totally loved the place. I will post a full review on www.mcfoodie.com tomorrow. Thanks for the tip, Jsfein.

Hey McFoodie. I also ate at El Meson today, but for dinner. Sorry to hear that your enchiladas weren't up to snuff ... hopefully just an aberration. My dinner tonight was really good. I had some type of chicken special with sweet potato and cactus ... yummy. Definitely worth a stop when visiting Freehold Raceway Mall.

Ok, so I bit the bullet and had lunch at Far East Taste earlier this week... by myself, I might add, as I couldn'f find anyone else willing to risk eating in such an unappetizing looking restaurant. My red curry chicken was amazing - the chicken was in good sized pieces and sliced nicely thin, the vegetables were beautifully al dente, and the sauce... yum. The lunch special was a real bargain too and the there were a few tables occupied by folks out for a business lunch. That said, I'm not sure that I can get past the dingy decor and utter lack of vibe and would have to think twice (at least) before talking anyone else there. While I can appreciate a good dive bar and love hole-in-the-wall places like Pete & Elda's, this is a whole new level of dump. It's a bummer too since my food was really good. While I may not eat there again, I look forward to ordering take-out from them.

Ok, so I bit the bullet and had lunch at Far East Taste earlier this week... by myself, I might add, as I couldn'f find anyone else willing to risk eating in such an unappetizing looking restaurant. My red curry chicken was amazing - the chicken was in good sized pieces and sliced nicely thin, the vegetables were beautifully al dente, and the sauce... yum. The lunch special was a real bargain too and the there were a few tables occupied by folks out for a business lunch. That said, I'm not sure that I can get past the dingy decor and utter lack of vibe and would have to think twice (at least) before talking anyone else there. While I can appreciate a good dive bar and love hole-in-the-wall places like Pete & Elda's, this is a whole new level of dump. It's a bummer too since my food was really good. While I may not eat there again, I look forward to ordering take-out from them.

I tell people about the lack of decor before going and sell it as a "hole in the whole - secret kind of place". Once they taste the food, any concerns about the decor quickly fade away. As you noted, if the decor is truly ruining the experience, just order take out. I'm happy you enjoyed your meal. Next time try the basil shrimp or any special item on the board when you come in. All are excellent.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

Ok, so I bit thThat said, I'm not sure that I can get past the dingy decor and utter lack of vibe and would have to think twice (at least) before talking anyone else there. While I can appreciate a good dive bar and love hole-in-the-wall places like Pete & Elda's, this is a whole new level of dump. It's a bummer too since my food was really good.

You must not have eaten at many Asian places in NYC...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Of course, the cuisine comes first for me but I prefer restaurants where the decor and service can hold their own against the food. I don't think it has to be just one or the other, especially with so many great NJ dining options nowadays.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to take a moment to thank all of my fellow NJ foodies for all the comments and feedback on my new website, and for all of the delicious restaurant recommendations. Here is a list of the recent changes and updates I have made to www.mcfoodie.com as a result of all of the feedback:

*Today, I posted an initial list of NJ destination restaurants, compiled with the help of my fellow eGulleters (at the NJ Destination Restaurants thread). Please post, email or PM me to suggest any I may be missing.

*I have also recently posted and reviewed an additional 20 Monmouth County restaurants (many of which I either read about here or which were emailed to me via the website) and am constantly updating and reviewing others.

*The website is now interactive! Readers may now post their own comments and restaurant reviews so if you agree, disagree, or have something else to say about the restaurants listed, please go ahead!

*Finally, the McFoodie Restaurant Club is up and running thanks to www.meetup.com. Our first monthly event will take place next week in Red Bank. Please email or PM me (or check out the website) for more details.

Thanks again for taking the time to check out my very fattening new hobby and please continue to email or PM me any suggestions or restaurant recommendations.

Cheers,

Saguit