• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pictorial: String Beans Stir-Fried w/ Sa Cha Sauce

hzrt8w

Pictorial Recipe

String Beans Stir-Fried with Sa Cha Sauce (沙茶醬抄四季豆)

Recently the question of "Sa Cha Sauce" came up. I would like to introduce you to one simple vegetable dish: Stir-frying string beans with "Sa Cha Sauce". Many readers like the Sichuan style dry-fried string beans. This is a different way of cooking string beans. I like it just as much.

Picture of the finished dish:

gallery_19795_2101_1231.jpg

Serving Suggestion: 2-3

Preparations:

gallery_19795_2101_11622.jpg

Main ingredients (upper right, clockwise):

- 1 to 1 1/2 lb of string beans

- 1 medium size onion

- garlic, use 4-5 cloves

- 1 chili pepper (e.g. jalapeno pepper)

- 4-5 tsp of "Sa Cha Sauce"

Note: You may add meats of your choice (e.g. beef, chicken) to this dish as desired.

gallery_19795_2101_1128.jpg

This is a can of the featured "Sa Cha Sauce". It is basically minced dry shrimp, brill fish and seasoning. In the English label, it may be translated as Barbecue Sauce. I have tried many brands of Sa Cha Sauce. The best one in my judgement can only be "Bullhead" brand (as shown in the picture). The other ones are not even close. Beware that many imitators use this silver can packaging too. Be sure you compare the trademark graphics.

This sauce is good for making satay dishes, stir-fries, and as a condiment for Cantonese hot pots.

gallery_19795_2101_21924.jpg

Peel and wedge the medium-size onion. Peel and mince 4-5 cloves of garlic. Trim ends and slice the chili pepper. Prepare 4-5 tsp (or more) of Sa Cha Sauce.

gallery_19795_2101_13351.jpg

Trim and discard both ends of the string beans. Wash and drain well.

Cooking Instructions:

gallery_19795_2101_34423.jpg

Use a wok/pan. Set stove at high. Add 2-3 tblsp of cooking oil. Wait until oil is hot. Add minced garlic, 1/4 tsp of salt (or to taste), sliced chili pepper and 4-5 tsp of Sa Cha Sauce. Stir well. Cook for about 30 seconds.

gallery_19795_2101_22713.jpg

Add the wedged onions. Sautee for another minute or so.

gallery_19795_2101_35216.jpg

Add the string beans. Add 1/4 cup of chicken broth and 1/4 cup of water. Cook with lid on for about 10-15 minutes over medium heat setting. Stir occassionally. The string beans will absorb some water during cooking. Transfer to serving dish when ready.

gallery_19795_2101_1231.jpg

Picture of the finished dish.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

You know I have had this sauce (Sa cha) for nearly a year now but didn't know what to do with it. I had bought initially thinking it of as a BBQ sauce that I can use on meats to BBQ. But when I opened the tin, it was different. I liked the flavor of it though so I just kept it in the cubbord. Thanks for this recipe. I have one more recipe added to my 'greens' list now.

PS: Your comprehensive list on how to cook the greens has been very helpful. I have been trying various combinations you had suggested. I simply love them. Thanks!

i think we need to all pitch in and get ah leung a new pan. ;)

He has one...old habits are hard to break :wink: :

"hzrt8w's wok and burner shopping project"

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

But I like Ah Leung's pan! It looks like it has many years of cooking stories to tell. :smile:

I also like the recipe lots. I'm another one always on the lookout for new-to-me ways to prepare vegetables. And, hey, now I have an excuse to go play with another Chinese ingredient (like I needed an excuse... :biggrin: ).

Xiao Leung -- I found the Sa Cha sauce you pictured, and was going to have this bean dish on Friday, along with your delicious Oyster dish that you had way back. I've had that one and both DH and I like it a lot -- I mean A LOT!.

But -- I read the ingredients on the can of Sa Cha and it lists 'peanut powder'. Problem! DH is very allergic to peanuts. For some reason he can have a little peanut oil, but nuts or peanuts of any kind, even a powder would give him a bad reaction. Epi-pen type reaction. So, I will fall back on either your Sichuan beans or the great bok Choy with all the garlic.

But -- I read the ingredients on the can of Sa Cha and it lists 'peanut powder'.  Problem!  DH is very allergic to peanuts. For some reason he can have a little peanut oil, but nuts or peanuts of any kind, even a powder would give him a bad reaction. Epi-pen type reaction.  So, I will fall back on either your Sichuan beans or the great bok Choy with all the garlic.

Sorry to hear that.

Add foo yu (fermented bean curds) to cook string beans would be good too. May be skip the onions. Up to you. Add some minced garlic and slices of 1 small chili.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

• 5 months later...

Well I finally cracked open the can of Sa Cha sauce and made these green beans tonite. I added a bit of ground pork that I had left over from another dish. Served over steamed rice.

Interesting flavor! Here in the midwest we think of BBQ sauce as a spicy-sweet sauce for grilled meat, quite different from the light seafood taste of the sa cha sauce.

I have heard of sa cha beef, does anyone have a recipe for that? I'd be interested in giving it a try, too.

Thanks so much for posting the recipe and techniqe for the green beans, it was really good!

The recipe for sa cha beef varies from restaurants but since you already completed Ah Leung's wonderful tutorial for green beans you can modify it for beef.

Marinate beef with rice wine, mince ginger, light soy, dark soy, pepper, and cornstarch. (careful not to over salt the meat since sa cha sauce you add later on will be salty too.)

And sauteed beef, be careful not to over cook, remove from pan and set aside.

Follow Ah Leung's recipe but instead fo green beans replace with your half cooked beef.

Enjoy with rice! :smile:

Edited by XiaoLing (log)

Thank you very much, XiaoLing, for your response. I will give it a try!

Today I'm in the mood for soup and will be making a Vietnamese Hot & Sour Soup. Quite different from the Chinese style Hot & Sour Soup. I have tried to make the Chinese version but can't get it right. Requests for pictorial or recipe (not just here, but other forums as well) are met with either indifference or controversy. I don't understand that, but guess I will keep searching! If there is one here and I have missed it, someone please point me in that direction!

I really enjoyed the pictures of your family's New Year's feast. Beautiful!