• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Years Eve in Melbourne

cork

We will be in Melbourne on Dec. 31st and look for ideas how to spend the evening. Some places seem to have prefix dinners (such as Walter´s Wine Bar, which we know from previous visits). But they look pricey with $175 p.p.. We have a downtown hotel reservation. Are there walk-ins that evening? We prefer food and wine related places over dance clubs or beach parties. Any suggestions.

We will be in Melbourne on Dec. 31st and look for ideas how to spend the evening. Some places seem to have prefix dinners (such as Walter´s Wine Bar, which we know from previous visits). But they look pricey with $175 p.p.. We have a downtown hotel reservation. Are there walk-ins that evening? We prefer food and wine related places over dance clubs or beach parties. Any suggestions.

NYE is an expensive time. There are normally big celebations (family friendly) in the city of Melbourne at places such as Federation Square.

Alternatively, you can go to a restaurant and it's function for NYE.

If you're looking for a good meal, few drinks and celebration in the civility of a restaurant I'd find something that suits your preference. Why not inquire at your favourite restaurants: Ezard @ Adelphi, Jacques Reymond, Vue de Monde, Taxi... Choose something that suits your preference and go for it.

Alternatively, go to a restaurant on NYE (still, booking recomended) then go to Federation Square or similar for a grand public celebration!

When you say you're from Southern Germany, how close are you to Freiburg?

Tschüss,

Adrian

I'd say try Interlude... Chef Robin hasn't posted in a while, but I'm sure he'll be doing something interesting...

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

• 3 weeks later...

Pricey indeed. Vue de monde are charging $500 per person for their NYE affair!

We tried doing walk-ins for NYE a couple of years ago. It just wasn't going to happen; all the decent restaurants were booked solid. This year we've booked dinner on one of the boats cruising the Yarra, so we can do the food/wine thing and have a good spot for the fireworks.

Hotel Sofitel in Collins St does a few classy NYE events in The Atrium and Cafe La. Perhaps give them a call?

Pricey indeed. Vue de monde are charging $500 per person for their NYE affair!

We tried doing walk-ins for NYE a couple of years ago. It just wasn't going to happen; all the decent restaurants were booked solid. This year we've booked dinner on one of the boats cruising the Yarra, so we can do the food/wine thing and have a good spot for the fireworks.

Hotel Sofitel in Collins St does a few classy NYE events in The Atrium and Cafe La. Perhaps give them a call?

Dinner cruise sounds interesting. Which cruise line is reccomended? Homepage?

Cork

im not sure the price but i know its pretty expensive but the stokehouse has always had great nye parties for the more finger food and drinking downstairs or the bubbly and wine over many a courses upstairs is always a fun night guarnteed have spent 2 their one working one as a guest both were unforgettable from which i can remember haha :raz:

I'd say try Interlude... Chef Robin hasn't posted in a while, but I'm sure he'll be doing something interesting...

" Unfortunately Interlude Restaurant will be closed for our annual break from the 24th December to 8th January inclusive."

I go t this mail from the Maitre D, Gavin van Staden.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i think daylesford for new years eve would be blissful. there's usually plenty going on and waking up on new year's day to the smell of hot eucalypt from the forests...ahhh, nothing like it.

we spent new years eve at bhoj at dockland's last year. we were invited to two competing parties and decided to offend neither party and just have a little twosome thing going on. neither of us love new years eve, but bhoj was really fun. it was beautiful and hot outside, we sat near the water, there were fireworks at docklands, a nice atmosphere but no pressure to dress up and get the tiara out. very reasonably priced too.