• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: johnder - Bouncing Around Brooklyn

johnder

Thanks for the heads up n the bitters. Exactly what I was looking for as a gift for a dear friend. I took a look at these auctions and the seller says they are not for consumption but collectible bottles. Can that be right? Or is that an export/import sort of disclaimer?

They are selling the bottle as a collectors item. It just happens this item has it's full contents intact as well as the factory seal. Of course ebay assumes you are buying for the bottle, which you are correct? :smile:

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

So I got up at the literal crack of dawn (by my standards) to get to the market before it got crazy. Of course it seems everyone else had the same idea.

While I writing this, I am having an espresso with the last of last weeks beans.

gallery_28660_3644_30000.jpg

First stop, Bread alone. Picked up a loaf of brioche, rasin walnut and sourdough.

gallery_28660_3644_3456.jpg

I didn't get any of the breakfast danish... was waiting for a bagel.

gallery_28660_3644_55353.jpg

Flying pigs farm... unfortunately Mike or Jenn weren't there.

gallery_28660_3644_52836.jpg

Ronnybrook farms, where I picked up 3 qts of creamline milk, and 1 qt of Coffee Milk

gallery_28660_3644_221770.jpg

Grapes on the vine, I picked some up to use in either the cheese course or the desert.

gallery_28660_3644_3967.jpg

This is the Arch at Grand Army Plaza

gallery_28660_3644_3456.jpg

Terrace Bagels, the line was out the door almost. :wacko:

gallery_28660_3644_41722.jpg

The bread and milk back at home

gallery_28660_3644_47562.jpg

Picked up a flying pigs chicken as well.

gallery_28660_3644_19949.jpg

Bagel time, they were very hot, the must have just come out of the over 15 minutes before I got there.

gallery_28660_3644_68772.jpg

Had it with just a schmear of cream cheese.

Sorry for the terse replies, much cooking to be had. Given I need to do the cooking and remember to take the photos, I am getting nervous about the time. :shock:

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Water baths -At work I routinely run a Lauda at 62C for 25 hours. If its covered (with its own lid or foil) its ok for water level. Uncovered drops alarmingly in a couple hours. The cover also helps it maintain even temp, and use less power so the equipment will last longer.

Lauda covers come in flat or peaked shape. Since you are working with a complete immersion process, the cheaper flat one would work fine. And of course, to repeat myself, a sheet of foil works well too.

We run them at 42C for ~5 days with about a 1" depth loss to evaporation, tho we do cover them for about half that time.

re burning the house down, does your water bath have an 'over temp' setting? If so, it should turn itself off if it reaches that temp. That might ease concerns about a fire.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Hi John,

This is such a fun blog and you have covered food from so many sides.. What have are you doing with those cucumbers? Those guys are so cool.. Good luck with dinner tonight, it sounds like its going to be amazing.. And show us that pork already!

Water baths -At work I routinely run a Lauda at 62C for 25 hours. If its covered (with its own lid or foil) its ok for water level. Uncovered drops alarmingly in a couple hours.  The cover also helps it maintain even temp, and use less power so the equipment will last longer.

Lauda covers come in flat or peaked shape. Since you are working with a complete immersion process, the cheaper flat one would work fine. And of course, to repeat myself, a sheet of foil works well too.

We run them at 42C for ~5 days with about a 1" depth loss to evaporation, tho we do cover them for about half that time.

re burning the house down, does your water bath have an 'over temp' setting? If so, it should turn itself off if it reaches that temp. That might ease concerns about a fire.

I have seen on a website where you can use what looks like pingpong balls that will float on the top of the water to prevent evaporation. I am sure they are "special" ping pong balls, but it seems like it would work.

Yes, I have an overtemp cutoff. :biggrin:

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

ok, another bulk upload

ragu, when it started way early this morning. Venison, Carrot, Onion, Thyme, Bay, Tomato Puree, splash of red wine.

gallery_28660_3644_15733.jpg

parsnips poaching in some Ronnybrook Farms milk

gallery_28660_3644_49690.jpg

pureed in a blender, pushed through a tamis.

gallery_28660_3644_11670.jpg

done. (btw, this only took me 6 different bowls and things to clean. If I had a thermomix, I could have had one.) :sad:

gallery_28660_3644_30010.jpg

gorgonzola cheese Donbert picked up for me.

gallery_28660_3644_67120.jpg

beaten with a paddle with a big tablespoon of french butter. Going to be part of the cheese course.

gallery_28660_3644_32579.jpg

lobster mushrooms, diced for the risotto.

gallery_28660_3644_79578.jpg

cooking down the mushrooms, salt, butter, thyme. thats it.

gallery_28660_3644_21379.jpg

ragu after cooking for 9 hours

gallery_28660_3644_41596.jpg

ragu completed.

gallery_28660_3644_37034.jpg

pasta dough being made.

gallery_28660_3644_22426.jpg

ravoli being stuffed.

gallery_28660_3644_33922.jpg

completed ravioli

gallery_28660_3644_54332.jpg

• Like 1

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel as though I've had a brush with greatness, johnder. Terrace Bagels is where I go to pick up breakfast when I stay at my aunt and uncle's on 16th Street. Happy to know it has the eG seal of approval.

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

That buchner filter funnel is so cool! (yeah, I just ordered one for myself).

I had to search for Hess House Bitters to see what it was that you were filtering. Did you use the same recipe that eje posted in the bitters thread?

Off to shop for gentian...

40 minutes until cocktails start, 1:40 for dinner. Here are the final photos until after the dinner is over.

Plates for each course are setup. Cheese garnish is ready, Tomato salad waiting to be dressed. Weinoo, here is the espresso machine. You were correct, it was next to the fridge.

gallery_28660_3644_207151.jpg

Stocks simmering on stove for quick sauces, pot of water waiting for pasta. Started sweating onions for the risotto.

gallery_28660_3644_249273.jpg

Mis en place for fhe fois, chutney, toasted brioche. [notice the small squeeze bottles with the blue tape? I am trying Vadouvans tip.]

gallery_28660_3644_255334.jpg

All set.. I need a cocktail before takeoff.

gallery_28660_3644_34778.jpg

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

That buchner filter funnel is so cool! (yeah, I just ordered one for myself).

I had to search for Hess House Bitters to see what it was that you were filtering. Did you use the same recipe that eje posted in the bitters thread?

Off to shop for gentian...

I used the recipe from Drinkboy's (Robert Hess) site. Here is the link. The site appears down now, so I am not sure if it is the same as eje's post.

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

Did I mention that I am jealous of your kitchen?

Are you sure you don't want a six month sabbatical in San Francisco to redo mine? I'd pay you in cocktails!

Good luck with your dinner party!

I'm looking forward to the pictures.

I found the recipe I used on one of Robert's posts on webtender. The changes I made were to halve the recipe, except for the gentian, and add allspice.

It's also in the link below from the DrinkBoy Forums:

DrinkBoy House Bitters

edit - spelling

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I used the recipe from Drinkboy's (Robert Hess) site.   Here is the link.  The site appears down now, so I am not sure if it is the same as eje's post.

John   

The Drinkboy main site is up, but the bitters recipe is on another site that's down right now. The Google cache shows a recipe with some of the same ingredients listed, but somewhat different proportions. The recipe that Erik (eje) used has more gentian than the one in the cache, so it's interesting that he thought the gentian should be upped in relation to the spices. Please report how your batch turned out. :smile:

:wub: Drinkblog :wub:

Edit: Cross-posted with Erik!

There are some interesting comments in that post. particularly this, re. the Pegu Club:

But since the batch they have right now is aged two years in oak, their next batch probably won't be quite the same!

Great. Now I have to find some oak casks and wait two years for the results. :angry::laugh:

Edited by edsel (log)

Oh dear. Can computer keyboards be shorted out by a puddle of drool? :laugh::wub:

So much I could comment on, but I'll just content myself with these:

Terrace Bagels, the line was out the door almost.  :wacko:

gallery_28660_3644_41722.jpg

I like how the Terrace Bagel "mascot" bears a sartorial resemblance to Mr. Peanut. :biggrin:

Bagel time, they were very hot, the must have just come out of the over 15 minutes before I got there.

gallery_28660_3644_68772.jpg

Now that's what I call a serious bagel.

Enjoy your party!

So after a fun night at Pegu I needed to come home and devein and cure the fois for the torchon.   First was make the cure.

Demerra sugar

Salt

Pink Salt

White pepper.

gallery_28660_3644_8246.jpg

Hmm, I just realized somthing this morning. I woke up in the middle of the night and havd a cold sweat moment. The recipe for the fois cure called for pink salt. In my Pegu haze last night I used pink LAVA salt, as opposed to pink CURING salt (which I happened to own as well)

Oh well, crap.

Only on egullet. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I've been extra busy this week and so I've been following your blog more quietly than I do most. However, I can't go without saying that I'm blown away by how good it is! I'd probably be speechless if I did have the time to make comments. Right now I'm so impressed by your advanced preparation and seeming coolness and calmness in entertaining, with such a menu! I could never, ever pull it off, what you're doing. Thanks for the added time-consuming task of blogging throughout it all.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

40 minutes until cocktails start, 1:40 for dinner.  Here are the final photos until after the dinner is over. 

Plates for each course are setup.  Cheese garnish is ready, Tomato salad waiting to be dressed.  Weinoo, here is the espresso machine.  You were correct, it was next to the fridge.

gallery_28660_3644_207151.jpg

Your square and rectangular plates are great. I adore square plates. Where did you get yours? Anybody have any reasonably priced suppliers?

Great blog, BTW - I'm so full from dinner I could burst, but you're still managing to make me salivate...

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

and this was before desert.

gallery_28660_3644_15534.jpg

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I am so tired. I can't possibly post all the photos we took tonight. I am going to post two photos of the pork because I know I have been withholding them from everyone. :biggrin:

If I didn't post these tonight, I wouldn't hear the end of it.

Tomorrow will be a huge picture day.

After coming out of the sous-vide, 46.5 hours.

gallery_28660_3644_26859.jpg

Portioned out, ready for sear.

gallery_28660_3644_33078.jpg

• Like 1

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--