• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: johnder - Bouncing Around Brooklyn

johnder

wow i think this is just the thing to finally get my homemade vinegar clear, where do i get my hands on this thing

You can just go a google search for "buchner funnel kit, pump" You want to make sure you get the complete kit with the pump. It should run you about 45 to 50 bucks.

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

How long does the roasting process take for your coffee beans? (They look great, I can almost smell them through the screen.)

Hope you're feeling better.

The actual roasting takes about 9 minutes, with 4 minutes of cooldown. The thing that amazed me when I first roasted coffee is that it isn't the most pleasing smell. It goes from a wet grass smell to a burnt grass smell and even with my 1100CFM range hood going full blast, it still permates the first floor of the house with this smell.

Even after roasting and cooling the beans don't have a distinct "coffee" aroma. Only after resting a day or two do you really start to get that awesome coffee aroma.

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

The actual roasting takes about 9 minutes, with 4 minutes of cooldown.    The thing that amazed me when I first roasted coffee is that it isn't the most pleasing smell.  It goes from a wet grass smell to a burnt grass smell and even with my 1100CFM range hood going full blast, it still permates the first floor of the house with this smell.   

Even after roasting and cooling the beans don't have a distinct "coffee" aroma.  Only after resting a day or two do you really start to get that awesome coffee aroma.

John

When I first met my wife, I was delivering coffee beans for a place that roasted their own beans. Unless you've smelled it, you won't recognize the smell of roasting beans as coffee. However, it is now burned into my brain, and I am astounded how many neighborhoods in San Francisco seem to have coffee roasters.

Coffee beans have an astoundingly "clingy" and pervasive smell both while they are roasting and afterwards. It was just overwhelming to work in the wherehouse/roastery for any period of time. While I worked there, everything I owned smelled like coffee. My wife claims the smell of coffee, (and the free fresh roasted beans,) went a long way towards winning her heart. Better than aftershave!

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

The shipment from Mikuni just arrived!

I am going to wait until opening it until I get home. Todays plan of action is

Try to get home early and finish up the torchon.

Clean and prep the mushrooms and make the mushroom stock for the risotto.

Start the venison ragu.

Go to the supermarket and stock up.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

On the way home I stopped at fairway to pick up some goods to continue the cooking. I will post some pictures of the stuff in a bit. Fairway Red Hook is their newest store and tops at at 33000 sq ft.

gallery_28660_3644_262849.jpg

I would have taken some pictures inside but didn't want my camera smashed.

The mushrooms!

gallery_28660_3644_153114.jpg

And the lemon vin.

gallery_28660_3644_14675.jpg

Kick ass.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

Got a couple of more things done. First some of the ingredients for tomorrow. Peaches, for the chutney, Rice for the risotto along with some Parm Reg. Earl Grey / Bergamot Tea, Prunes, Parsnips, Brussel Sprouts, Tomato Paste...

gallery_28660_3644_364438.jpg

I also got a whole bunch of bones to make a heavily reduced stock, along with a fresh bay leaf and thyme from my backyard.

gallery_28660_3644_36003.jpg

Meat all browned and some water and a splash or wine added to a mirepoix.

gallery_28660_3644_434913.jpg

I also finished up the Thomas Keller torchon. After curing all night in the fridge you take out the fois and wrap it in cheesecloth, squeezing it into a log and tying it.

gallery_28660_3644_25819.jpg

Then you poach it for 90 seconds... look at all that fois fat coming out...mmmm

gallery_28660_3644_13778.jpg

Plunge into ice bath.

gallery_28660_3644_286061.jpg

After that you squeeze it back into shape and hang it in your fridge overnight or until ready to serve.

I didn't want to let that poaching liquid go to waste, so I dumped all the trimmings from the mushrooms into it to start the mushroom stock for the risotto.

gallery_28660_3644_361299.jpg

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

Just finishing up prep for now. I am cleaning up and getting ready to head over to Donbert's for a cocktail or two. I need to have some self control as I do need to do more work when I get home.

I poached the pears in a simple syrup with some black pepper, cloves, and sichuan peppercorns. After simmering for a few minutes I removed them into a holding container with the hot syrup to cool down. (side note, I think this syrup will be awesome in cocktails... I need to try that)

gallery_28660_3644_34224.jpg

I also made a spicy bourbon peach chutney to serve with the seared fois. I roughly chopped some peaches, half a red chili. Added some of the pear poaching syrup and a good splash of Elijah Craig and going to let macerate overnight.

Tomorrow I will chop up the peaches a bit more and adjust for flavor.

gallery_28660_3644_33894.jpg

gallery_28660_3644_13629.jpg

More updates and pictures from Donbert's cocktails over canal later!

John

edit: BTW the pork is crazy. I am saving photos of that as a surprise. It has been taking a nice hot bath for almost 26 hours now.

Edited by johnder (log)

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I poached the pears in a simple syrup with some black pepper, cloves, and sichuan peppercorns.  After simmering for a few minutes I removed them into a holding container with the hot syrup to cool down.  (side note, I think this syrup will be awesome in cocktails... I need to try that)

Cool! Does the sichuan pepper give it that tongue-numbing weird and wonderful heat?

edit:  BTW the pork is crazy.  I am saving photos of that as a surprise.  It has been taking a nice hot bath for almost 26 hours now.

I take it the Lauda didn't burn the house down. :laugh: It took me months to start trusting mine unattended for more than a few minutes...

Loving your blog.

wow i think this is just the thing to finally get my homemade vinegar clear, where do i get my hands on this thing

You can just go a google search for "buchner funnel kit, pump" You want to make sure you get the complete kit with the pump. It should run you about 45 to 50 bucks.

In fact, Here's one right here.

(I have no earthly use for one of these gizmos myself, right at the moment, but the looks of it just gave me all sorts of fond flashbacks to, erm, "acquiring" random bits of glassware from my college chem lab for, erm, experiments. Yep, that's right, they were experiments. :laugh: )

The mushrooms!

gallery_28660_3644_153114.jpg

:wub::wub::wub:

I poached the pears in a simple syrup with some black pepper, cloves, and sichuan peppercorns.  After simmering for a few minutes I removed them into a holding container with the hot syrup to cool down.  (side note, I think this syrup will be awesome in cocktails... I need to try that)

Cool! Does the sichuan pepper give it that tongue-numbing weird and wonderful heat?

edit:  BTW the pork is crazy.  I am saving photos of that as a surprise.  It has been taking a nice hot bath for almost 26 hours now.

I take it the Lauda didn't burn the house down. :laugh: It took me months to start trusting mine unattended for more than a few minutes...

Loving your blog.

No tounge numbing effects yet. I assume tomorrow there will be a little. As fa as the lauda, so far so good. I am more worried about the water evaporating at this point then a fire.

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

John, you are doing Brooklyn proud!

Thanks Doc. I am trying! :biggrin:

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

(I have no earthly use for one of these gizmos myself, right at the moment, but the looks of it just gave me all sorts of fond flashbacks to, erm, "acquiring" random bits of glassware from my college chem lab for, erm, experiments. Yep, that's right, they were experiments. :laugh: )

Do tell Mizducky!

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

Ok, back from Donberts. Slkinsey was there from Egullet as well as weinoo. The infamous maninwhite made an appearance too!

Don at the helm, with the maninwhite.

gallery_28660_3644_161651.jpg

Don's collection of booze.

gallery_28660_3644_101821.jpg

The bar setup.

gallery_28660_3644_62393.jpg

The Last Ward the MIW made me with Chatreuse VEP. Smoking

gallery_28660_3644_6657.jpg

Don grating some ginger. I forgot what for, I think it may have been a jamican firefly

gallery_28660_3644_57863.jpg

A tequilla tasting.

gallery_28660_3644_27127.jpg

I want to thank Donbert for the drinks, it was another great cocktails over Canal! I wish I could have stayed longer but I needed to come home and finish some work for the dinner tomorrow.

Tomorrow morning I am heading to the Greenmarket at the Grand Army Plaza, I will be sure to take my camera so I can get some cool photos.

p.s. nice meeting you weinoo.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

Wow! That's some cockail party and some bar setup Donbert has! Most impressive. You're all my kind of guys. :wub:

(side note, I think this syrup will be awesome in cocktails... I need to try that)

Oooohh! I know! Put some in cognac, cut back on the Cointreau a bit and make a Spiced Pear Sidecar!! Yummy and very autumnal.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Do tell Mizducky!

Weeeeeeeelllllll ... let's just say that the "experiments" would probably be off-topic for eGullet ... except, perhaps, for the effects of said "experiments" on the subjects' appetites. :cool::laugh:

Uh, btw. This is a special treat for all the cocktail geeks reading this blog. Some guy on ebay is selling Hermes orange and Hermes aromatic. He has one bottle left of each.

Aromatic

Orange.

It looks like it will be about 13 bucks including shipping from Japan.

I bought one bottle of each, so there is one left!

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

It is always a pleasure having you over. I had a great time mixing drinks with you guys. Shortly after you took off Cachaca Dave made an appearance as well.

Don grating some ginger.  I forgot what for, I think it may  have been a jamican firefly

That was for a concord grape, ginger, and key lime variation on a gimlet. :cool:

ps Thanks for the cardamom tincture! The Ramos just isn't the same without it.

Have to add we had a great time, pleasure meeting you, too John, as well as everyone else that was there...

That concord grape gimlet was off the charts good!

Can't believe we made it to Schiller's, where I actually had a beer as well -oy.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Do tell Mizducky!

Weeeeeeeelllllll ... let's just say that the "experiments" would probably be off-topic for eGullet ... except, perhaps, for the effects of said "experiments" on the subjects' appetites. :cool::laugh:

Aren't herbs foodstuffs? Including those from Jamaica? :biggrin:

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

It is always a pleasure having you over. I had a great time mixing drinks with you guys. Shortly after you took off Cachaca Dave made an appearance as well.
Don grating some ginger.  I forgot what for, I think it may  have been a jamican firefly

That was for a concord grape, ginger, and key lime variation on a gimlet. :cool:

ps Thanks for the cardamom tincture! The Ramos just isn't the same without it.

Oops. I was so busy taking pictures I guess I got confused. Thanks again Don.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

Uh, btw. This is a special treat for all the cocktail geeks reading this blog.  Some guy on ebay is selling Hermes orange and Hermes aromatic.  He has one bottle left of each.

Aromatic

Orange.

It looks like it will be about 13 bucks including shipping from Japan.

I bought one bottle of each, so there is one left!

Thanks for the heads up n the bitters. Exactly what I was looking for as a gift for a dear friend. I took a look at these auctions and the seller says they are not for consumption but collectible bottles. Can that be right? Or is that an export/import sort of disclaimer?