• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: johnder - Bouncing Around Brooklyn

johnder

Hmmmmmmmm.  All the Champs Elysee recipes I could find on the web specify yellow Chartreuse.  But both Sammy at Milk & Honey and Little Branch and Jim Meehan at Gramercy Tavern use green.  Jim even uses VEP.

I had the pleasure of having Jim mix me up one of these last week when I was visiting. Truly one of the most delicious cocktails I've ever had the pleasure of tasting.

If someone could get Jim to post his recipe for that fabulous libation I'd be eternally grateful. That was one seriously tasty drink!

I will talk to Jim and see if I can get the recipe. Sunday may be a visit to Gramercy if I recover from Saturday dinner party in time.

John, you're my hero!! :wub::wub::wub:

Jim didn't seem to have a problem sharing his recipe, although I suspect the rest of us might not be using the Top Top shelf ingredients he's using in his version. I might have to substitute regular Chartreuse for the V.E.P. and a lower level Cognac for the Ferrand or whatever he's using.

That was one damned tasty drink though...

No problemo. I emailed Jim, I am assuming he would be cool with it. I know he published his recipe for his Van Brunt cocktail in LeNells newsletter a few weeks ago. That is another killer cocktail, using an equally expensive ingredient, the Chinato.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Hmmmmmmmm.  All the Champs Elysee recipes I could find on the web specify yellow Chartreuse.  But both Sammy at Milk & Honey and Little Branch and Jim Meehan at Gramercy Tavern use green.  Jim even uses VEP.

I had the pleasure of having Jim mix me up one of these last week when I was visiting. Truly one of the most delicious cocktails I've ever had the pleasure of tasting.

If someone could get Jim to post his recipe for that fabulous libation I'd be eternally grateful. That was one seriously tasty drink!

I will talk to Jim and see if I can get the recipe. Sunday may be a visit to Gramercy if I recover from Saturday dinner party in time.

John, you're my hero!! :wub::wub::wub:

Jim didn't seem to have a problem sharing his recipe, although I suspect the rest of us might not be using the Top Top shelf ingredients he's using in his version. I might have to substitute regular Chartreuse for the V.E.P. and a lower level Cognac for the Ferrand or whatever he's using.

That was one damned tasty drink though...

No problemo. I emailed Jim, I am assuming he would be cool with it. I know he published his recipe for his Van Brunt cocktail in LeNells newsletter a few weeks ago. That is another killer cocktail, using an equally expensive ingredient, the Chinato.

I had one of those too... :blush: And yes - also delicious. I hadn't ever tried the Chinato and Jim was nice enough to let me taste a little on its own. A most interesting ingredient. I think I could have some fun playing with that if it weren't $96/bottle in PA!!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

That meal at Annisa looked really great! I love rhubarb, so I'm sure I would have loved the rhubarb soup.

Is it unusual for you to have this many upscale multi-course menus in a week?

Kalustyan's is awesome, and I have indeed seen dried ancho chilis there. I haven't really concentrated on that part of their offerings, though. I tend to get their wonderful mujadara, the Armenian string cheese (I like the kind with chili as well as nigella seeds), and some of their nuts and flatbreads.

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

That meal at Annisa looked really great! I love rhubard, so I'm sure I would have loved the rhubarb soup.

Is it unusual for you to have this many upscale multi-course menus in a week?

Kalustyan's is awesome, and I have indeed seen dried ancho chilis there. I haven't really concentrated on that part of their offerings, though. I tend to get their wonderful mujadara, the Armenian string cheese (I like the kind with chili as well as nigella seeds), and some of their nuts and flatbreads.

While this week isn't 100% typical, it isn't that far off. We tend to go out to eat at least once a week. While we may not always get a tasting menu, we do enjoy trying as many different dishes as possible. For the sake of diversity, we opted to do that at both dinners out this week.

The dinner at Annisa was planned several weeks ago with a friend that happened to fall during the week I was doing the blog, so that was a value add.

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Sorry there haven't been any updates this morning. There was a major crisis at work that caused me to rush out of the house, I even left my camera at home in the rush.

I am still putting dealing with some loose ends as a result of the crisis and hopefully will be back to posting in an hour or so.

If there are any questions you have, I would be happy to answer in the meantime, since I don't have my camera for now.

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

So I am pretty behind in my prep for Saturdays dinner. I am going to be leaving shortly to go home and try to get some stuff done. They menu as it stands now is:

Amuse -- Heirloom tomato gazpacho

First -- Fois two ways. Seared with a fall fruit chutney and Torchon with a poached seckle pear, toasted brioche.

Second -- Risotto with wild lobster and chantrelle mushrooms

Third -- Flying pigs Pork belly, Sous-vide.

Fourth -- Sous-vide wild venison loin with venison ragu raviolo

Cheese course

Desert

I am still trying to come up with a good side for the pork belly. Any suggestions?

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I am still trying to come up with a good side for the pork belly.  Any suggestions?

I have no idea why this just came into my head, but I thought: greens (mustard or collard, perhaps in some kind of chiffonaded form) and spaetzle.

--

I am still trying to come up with a good side for the pork belly.  Any suggestions?

I have no idea why this just came into my head, but I thought: greens (mustard or collard, perhaps in some kind of chiffonaded form) and spaetzle.

I was actually thinking about spaetzle for the venison at one point. I thought about juicing a cabbage and mixing the juice in to the spaetzle.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

John

I'm coming out of lurking-mode also. Great blog!

Brussel Sprouts!

Oh I love brussel sprouts. We may have a winner.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

What flavors/textures are you thinking for the dessert?

Spaetzle sounds good wlith the venison, especially if there is a sauce.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

So... I just got back from dropping a cool buck twenty at Kalustyan's (pomegranate molasses, quince lemon syrup, tamarind syrup, 3 different kinds of bitters, black vinegar, rice wine vinegar, dashi ingredients, dried giant pozole, Mexican oregano, tumeric, etc.).

Anyone else inspired by this blog to visit Kalustyan's? Am I the first?

--

So... I just got back from dropping a cool buck twenty at Kalustyan's (pomegranate molasses, quince lemon syrup, tamarind syrup, 3 different kinds of bitters, black vinegar, rice wine vinegar, dashi ingredients, dried giant pozole, Mexican oregano, tumeric, etc.).

Anyone else inspired by this blog to visit Kalustyan's?  Am I the first?

I was totally inspired! Unfortunately it's a bit of drive for me. :biggrin::biggrin:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Ok, got the camera back and actually had some pics on it I took last night and early this morning. First the dry rubbed pork, that was sitting all night with the rub. Here it is rinsed off and ready for the next step, to happen later tonight.

gallery_28660_3644_5845.jpg

Also I started the fois last night. I am going to make the French Laundry torchon with the smaller lobe, and use the big lobe to do the seared presentation.

gallery_28660_3644_39508.jpg

The first step is to soak it in milk to draw out the blood. I will skip that picture, is isn't the nicest looking thing,

I figured while I had the time I would do the fridge photos. We actually have 2 fridges, one in the basement that we just use as overflow and booze storage.

gallery_28660_3644_63585.jpg

gallery_28660_3644_9424.jpg

gallery_28660_3644_52946.jpg

gallery_28660_3644_187170.jpg

I actually expect the fridges to get much more full between now and Saturday with the shopping I need to do.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

What flavors/textures are you thinking for the dessert?

Spaetzle sounds good wlith the venison, especially if there is a sauce.

Desert isn't my bag. I am passing that part of the evening, along with the wine pairing to my wife. I am going to be busy enough with the savories. I heard he say something about the pumpkin panna cotta recipe in a past New York Times magazine, but that may have changed.

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

Dr. Pepper! I didn't know that people from New York drank Dr. Pepper! :biggrin:

Love the sound of Saturday night's menu, particularly the foie course.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

I have been giving some more thought to the menu. As Nina rightly pointed out it is a pretty heavy menu. I though about this instead:

Amuse: Venison ragu raviolo

Fois: same as previously mentioned

Risotto: same as previously mentioned

Pork Belly: Sous Vide with ...

Salad: Small Heirloom tomato salad with indonesian lemon vinegar

Cheese: 2 to 3 composed cheeses a-la Studio Kitchen and FL

Desert: who knows.

Basically I took off the venison course and put in a salad course instead, using the tomatoes i was going to use in the gazpacho in between the heavy pork and the cheese to allow for some breathing room.

Given I already defrosted part of the venison, I can make a good ragu with that and serve it in a small raviolo as the amuse with a little rich stock reduction.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I'm coming out of lurking-mode also. Great blog!

Brussel Sprouts!

Oh I love brussel sprouts. We may have a winner.

Anybody who digs brussel sprouts is A-OK in my book! :wub:

I was going to suggest some kind of green veggie myself--say, spinach, if you could find confirmed locally-sourced stuff. :wink: But roasted brussel sprouts will do just fine.

Dr. Pepper! I didn't know that people from New York drank Dr. Pepper!  :biggrin:

Love the sound of Saturday night's menu, particularly the foie course.

I looooove Dr. Pepper. Big fan. Original, not diet, not that crazy vanilla stuff. Actually I really don't like diet anything, it is that artifical sweetner taste. Yuck.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

So when I was walking before I was thirsty, never saw this before, so I figured I would give it a shot. It wasn't bad. Didn't really taste the asian pear flavor though. I do prefer the Tea's Tea green tea drink better though. Maybe because it (the Tea's Tea) isn't sweetened.

gallery_28660_3644_47391.jpg

And today's Lime/Lemon Index

gallery_28660_3644_42811.jpg

gallery_28660_3644_371862.jpg

Btw for any New Yorkers -- I am going to be at Pegu tonight from 6:15 until maybe 8 at the latest. After than I need to get home and get cooking.

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

Anyone else inspired by this blog to visit Kalustyan's?  Am I the first?

You're not alone! I'd never been there before, but I'm definitely going now.

(Thanks, John). :smile:

John, I was wondering if you'd give us a little history on how it was that you got so interested in both food and drink. Were you a child prodigy in the kitchen, or did you come to it later? Who were your influences? What was it that made you what you are where cuisine and cocktails are concerned?