• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soup in shot glass, perfect as hors d'oeuvre

Kent Wang

That first soup sounds and looks spectacular! Can you share the recipe with us?

of course! It's the easiest soup ever! Not a bit of cooking:

Blend together in a blender until smooth:

2 ripe avocados

3 cups fresh carrot juice

3/4 teaspoon salt

2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice (I think I used a bit more)

2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger

2 Tablespoons chopped crystalized ginger

curry powder to taste

Chill for several hours and then pour into shot glasses and garnish with cubed avocado and cubed crystalized ginger. Add lime zest if desired.

• 5 weeks later...

As a cook, when we were gearing up to get bent over some nights the best amuse bouche would be a shooter of soup....thick, thin, chilled, hot....it was all the same (as long as the dish pit could keep up with the action). I think the best thing to do is make it more dynamic. Soup, a flavored oil, micro green, chiffonade, powders...blah blah blah...

I second the idea of it being best as an amuse. I personally like several sips of soup when actually ordering soup. But a staged amuse works great.

Edited by Bicycle Lee (log)

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

I started seeing a lot of shot glass soup tasters around 2004 at the WGF in Bangkok (WGF5). All of a sudden, chefs from the four corners were doing this.

Generally, I'm seeing these done as amuse bouches, although in one case as an appetizer course, I did see a deconstructed soup broken into components as an apetizer.

Does it matter what type of soup? Not that I've seen. At D'Sens in Bangkok the other week they did two amuse, both centered on shot glass soups. The first was a gazpacho, the second a very nice porcini soup. We went from thick and cool, to warm and thinner, but with a nice sludge at the bottom for contrast.

pictures and write up under /elsewhere in Aisa Pacific

gallery_22892_3784_39183.jpg

gallery_22892_3784_16186.jpg