• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soup in shot glass, perfect as hors d'oeuvre

Kent Wang

Wouldn't a thinner soup work better? A lot of the thick soup would be left in the shot glass, and it would not be elegant to try to get one's tongue down to the bottom, so as not to waste any ....

I have had this with a chilled gazpacho and it worked well.

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

Ditto for the chilled gazpacho.

My cousin had green gazpacho shots among the hors d'oeuvres for his wedding reception, with waiters circulating them on trays. The only (negligible, IMO) problem was where to put down the glass after you'd inhaled the soup. The shot glasses kind of piled up on the tables set for dinner.

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

For my recent wedding I had my caterer serve three different soups during the cocktail hour out of glases similar to the one on the left . One was a chilled gazpacho, the others, a carrot ginger soup and a fennel parsnip soup were served room temperature. They were popular and the soups were thin enough where it had no problem exiting the glass, but were thick enough to have nice body.

We do them in demitasse cups and try to do a heavily spiced variety -- more as amuses than a proper course. Warm tomatoe soup with roasted cuman and lime is a favorite, so is ginger/carrot.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Oddly enough, I JUST did this over the weekend for a party I was catering. It was Russian-based (or inspired :smile:) food. One of the appetizers I did was Fire & Ice -- alternating shotglasses of hot Borscht and ice cold Stoli.

Here is a photo ...

gallery_42520_3647_61534.jpg

The novelty factor was high, but I think people were afraid of the word "Borscht", so it didn't go over quite as well as I thought it would. However, those brave enough to try it raved about it.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

We do them in demitasse cups and try to do a heavily spiced variety -- more as amuses than a proper course.  Warm tomatoe soup with roasted cuman and lime is a favorite, so is ginger/carrot.

I agree: In most Indian parties rasam served like this has

become almost ubiquitous......It's really good though......

Milagai

..Warm tomatoe soup with roasted cuman and lime ....

Damn that sounds soooooo good!

On the fire & ice front, I think warm tomato soup would go well with the stoli too, referencing the bloody mary, of course.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

The novelty factor was high, but I think people were afraid of the word "Borscht", so it didn't go over quite as well as I thought it would. However, those brave enough to try it raved about it.

Why would people be afraid of the word Borscht?

:unsure:

Milagai

It seem more prevalent but I had this at TenPehn (DC pan asian place) this past thursday. Before the meal started they gave us gazpacho in a shot glass. It was amazing. I should have stop the meal there unfortunately.

..Warm tomatoe soup with roasted cuman and lime ....

Damn that sounds soooooo good!

On the fire & ice front, I think warm tomato soup would go well with the stoli too, referencing the bloody mary, of course.

I never thought of that until you mentioned tomato soup ... but a deconstructed Bloody Mary would be an interesting twist to serve at a party.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

The Frugal Gourmet once did "bloody marys on a stick" with peeled cherry tomatoes, impaled on a toothpick, with syrupy Stoli (from the freezer) poured over them and a dish of fleur de sel into which they could be dipped. I used to take them to parties but peeling cherry toms is so tedious.

Next time invite me, Tino. I ain't afraid of no borscht (nor Stoli) :wink:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Wouldn't a thinner soup work better? A lot of the thick soup would be left in the shot glass, and it would not be elegant to try to get one's tongue down to the bottom, so as not to waste any ....

Good point. I was thinking that you would want a more substantial soup as it is consumed in such small quantities. A thick consistency is part of "substantialness", though you raise a good point about waste. Another way to take better advantage of the small serving size is to crank up the seasonings. It may be very fatiguing to down a whole cup or bowl of aggressively seasoned gazpacho but it would be perfect in shot-glass portions.

Hi .... I served two types of soup shots at a friend's wedding reception a few weeks ago and they were a huge hit. Both soups were cold and vegan.

The first soup was the favorite...it's a carrot/ginger/avocado/curry/lime blend with a garnish of crystalized ginger, lime zest and a cube of avocado. The second soup was a gazpacho made with sherry vinegar and topped with a sprig of cilantro and cucumber.

Here's a picture of the first soup:

gallery_43683_3397_58993.jpg

Edited by MargyB (log)

two, maybe three years ago, we were at a wine dinner. served as the amuse was a shot glass of caesar salad soup. can't remember totally but it was blanced romaine, parmesan, some vinegar(sherry maybe), anchovy and some garlic croutons (?) whizzed up and served at room temperature. it was wonderful. johnnybird downed it and he is familialy allergic to anything that includes a lettuce or anchovies. eg member lreda created it so maybe he could tell you more

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

That first soup sounds and looks spectacular! Can you share the recipe with us?

Hi .... I served two types of soup shots at a friend's wedding reception a few weeks ago and they were a huge hit. Both soups were cold and vegan.

The first soup was the favorite...it's a carrot/ginger/avocado/curry/lime blend with a garnish of crystalized ginger, lime zest and a cube of avocado. The second soup was a gazpacho made with sherry vinegar and topped with a sprig of cilantro and cucumber.

Here's a picture of the first soup:

gallery_43683_3397_58993.jpg

The ultimate soup-in-a-glass that I've had is the turn of the (20th) century Lady Curzon. An emulsion of mussel liquor, cream and egg yolk, it's velvety, rich and thoroughly decadent - probably much like the lady herself! - and is the perfect prelude to that special occasion dinner!

John

"Venite omnes qui stomacho laboratis et ego restaurabo vos"

Milagai

Beats me. :huh:

a lot of non-foodies are afraid of other food words too: they're terrified of sweetbreads, and in all likelihood, they don't even know what they are... :laugh:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

I did this at a party for my mom. Two varieties of gazpacho--green and red. It looked beautiful. Unfortunately, people couldn't figure out what to make of it and kept trying to eat it with a spoon! I gave up trying to explain myself and had another glass of sangria :biggrin:

Milagai

Beats me. :huh:

a lot of non-foodies are afraid of other food words too: they're terrified of sweetbreads, and in all likelihood, they don't even know what they are... :laugh:

What I meant was, do they know what Borscht is and don't like it,

or don't know what Borscht is and are afraid of the unknown?

What's the more likely pattern (the latter from what you write)?

Milagai