• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food ideas for low key get together?

Smarmotron

I like to put out a sort of "build it yourself" bruschetta board. Use sliced, toasted baguettes for crostini----maybe get a plain or sourdough one and a flavored one like rosemary and garlic----and set out 2 or 3 cheeses, maybe a goat cheese, a manchego and a very sharp cheddar or a brie, and some little dishes of toppings like roasted red peppers, tapenade (I love Williams Sonoma's Fig and Calamata olive), marinated semi-dry (sunblush) tomatoes, maybe some sort of a white bean/roasted garlic spread. Your guests can make up their own combinations and you can enjoy the movie.

I may be in Nashville but my heart's in Cornwall

If you want a substantial dish, Belgian Beef Stew with Beer (Carbonnade) is easy to make ahead of time.

Here's a recipe that looks close to one that I've made several times:click

(As the recipe suggests, it's important to use a dark beer for the recipe.)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I would put out nice sandwich fixings - good rolls, nice deli meats, cheeses, condiments, etc, and let people build their own sandwich. The only work for you is laying everything out.

With that, you could put together some salads either early that day or the night before. Pasta salad, beet salad, potato salad, whatever's clever.

Some dips, chips, drinks in addition you're all set. People get good food, you get minimal hassel and can enjoy your movie and company.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

What about making some tapas style food? Here's a thread for inspiration. My friends and I also enjoying noshing on stuff like edamame, and sometimes (don't laugh! :raz: ) tater tots. Finger food is always good!

And since its movies... what about popcorn? Pop some plain popcorn and with different flavorings/toppings that people can put on it- ranch, furikake :wub: , cheese, butter, garlic salt etc?

it's total church-lady kitsch-food but here are my two standbys that people go NUTS over: buffalo chicken dip and symphony bars.

for the buffalo chicken dip, google "bonnie's buffalo chicken dip," it's all over the web. for the symphony bars, mix up a batch of brownie batter from a box, put half of it in the pan, layer in three large symphony bars (the kind with the toffee chips), add the rest of the batter and bake according to the directions on the box. the symphony bars turn into a creamy filling, almost like oreo creme.

i'm telling you, i've made all manner of high-class food for parties and get-togethers, but this stuff is what people really like.

"It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you."

-Nigel Slater

Open face tacos are always popular. Buy tostados, prepped produce, good salsa and shredded cheese. All you need to do is cook up taco meat (chicken, beef or pork) and keep it warm in a crock pot. Guests can build their own tacos.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton