• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peach Festival in Janghowon, Korea

Last weekend was the Janghowon Peach Festival held by the Cheongmicheon riverside. There were a lot of traditional korean performances, kiddie rides, fair parlor games and lots of food to eat. Here are some of the goodies (and gulp! weird food being served there).

One of the many restaurants who had their tents there.

gallery_48583_3621_110090.jpg

Grilling fish (the kind I have absolutely no idea)

gallery_48583_3621_358133.jpg

Various offal, meat, seafood for stir-fry (usually with the wickedly hot pepper paste)

gallery_48583_3621_213683.jpg

Giant oysters (about a foot long each) steamed and ready to be served.

gallery_48583_3621_372491.jpg

Roasted pig that is served sliced over a bed of shredded cabbage with lots of red pepper dip, slices of raw garlic and onions on the side.

gallery_48583_3621_162341.jpg

Gukbab - beef blood stew with lots of cabbage, soybean sprouts and hot pepper. They say it is a good tonic to cure hangovers.

gallery_48583_3621_179286.jpg

Steamed mussels and fish paste kebabs.

gallery_48583_3621_154164.jpg

A seafood grilling restaurant. You indicate the shellfish that you want and you get to grill them directly on your table with hot coals underneath it. Yummy!

gallery_48583_3621_148423.jpg

Steamed cuttlefish stuffed with chives and onions

gallery_48583_3621_164137.jpg

A truck selling steamed king crabs at the back.

gallery_48583_3621_303657.jpg

From right to left: steamed mussels, boiled silkworm larvae (bondegi) and chicken BBBQ marinated in hot pepper sauce (takotchi)

gallery_48583_3621_176649.jpg

This stall was actually on the roadside above the river and served veggie pancakes called "pajeon".

gallery_48583_3621_283767.jpg

Steamed ginko nuts and roasted chestnuts for snacks on the go.

gallery_48583_3621_6377.jpg

Various corndogs (one actually wrapped in fishpaste).

gallery_48583_3621_153909.jpg

Boiled ricefield snails (that you suck to get the juicy morsel inside) and more of those *shudder* silkworm bugs.

gallery_48583_3621_353394.jpg

Finally japanese cakes filled with red bean paste.

gallery_48583_3621_3928.jpg

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

These pictures are great. Really picked me up on anotherwise bad monday.

As a child, I used to love Bundagee (they are silk worm Larvee) and the snails, I had them for the first time on my last trip to korea. very little meat but the juice is outstanding.

I'm glad I've helped made you feel better, Soup. I found out that you can buy Bundagee in cans. Want me to send you some? :smile:

Lots of interesting-looking foods there, but I think I'll pass on the silkworms and ricefield snails. I'm such a wuss! I don't see any peaches in your pictures - is it a peach festival in name only?

Last weekend was the Janghowon Peach Festival held by the Cheongmicheon riverside. There were a lot of traditional korean performances, kiddie rides, fair parlor games and lots of food to eat. Here are some of the goodies (and gulp! weird food being served there).

Giant oysters (about a foot long each) steamed and ready to be served.

gallery_48583_3621_372491.jpg

Thank you very much for the great report and photos, Domestic Goddess!

Pretty wild seeing one foot oysters for sale! I also really like the first photo of the dining tent with suspended lights. I was wondering about the peaches also; here it would be late in the season for them.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I was wondering about the disconnect between "Peach Festival" and the photos, too.

Regardless, thanks for the post! Did you try any of the foods there?

I've heard that oysters in Korea taste very different than those in America. I'm curious if anyone can provide a comparison.

LOL, if there was a bunch of pics that I forgot to take, it was of thegrape-size peaches that about 50 stalls were selling. Sorry. My family and I stayed in the carnival section of the riverside fair. The peach produce section was on the other part of the river, near the concert-area. To sum it up, yes, there were tons of peaches being sold - I just didn't take any pics. Sorry.

I've tried New Zealad oysters, Philippine oysters and these humungous korean oysters. The big ones are pretty good, briny with a hint of sweetness. But they're blown away by the succulent freshness and taste of Visayan sisi (tiny plump oysters) from the central part of the Philippines. Those suckers are a murder to open (believe me, I've got scars to prove it) but oh so worth it. I'm gonna try to find a picture of those delectable sisi morsels.

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

I'm glad I've helped made you feel better, Soup. I found out that you can buy Bundagee in cans. Want me to send you some?  :smile:

Thank you for the offer. I really appreciate it but you don't need to. My goal is to find it somewhere in the states. I've looked in NY with no success and where I live in VA but last time I was in LA, I forgot to look. Next time.