• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

CUBANA.....

Vadouvan

Sorry if there is a similar thread, staying in the SOBE area for a few days, looking for some down home authentic Cuban food,never done "little Havana", have access to a car , preferable anything good within 30 minutes of Delano Hotel ??

Also anyone eat at Setai ?

Worth it ?

Two words.

Calle Ocho.

The only place for real down home Cubano fare. I'll see if I can find the name of the place I liked. Go have a batido de mamey for me. :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I like Puerto Sagua on Washington Ave, around 7th Street, I think. Seems authentic to me, given the ethnicities of the employees, and tastes similar to the Cuban food I've had in restaurants and cooked by co-workers. You'll of course find great Cuban food in Little Havana, too, but Puerto Sagua is convenient and quite tasty.

"God give us good taste, why bother?" Captain Jim's Sushi Chef

First off, saying that Calle Ocho is the only place to eat down home Cuban in Miami is like saying Little Italy is the only place to eat down home Italian in Manhattan. Granted, Little Havana has a little more authenticity than what's left of Little Italy, there are places all over the city for Cuban food. Puerto Sagua is a good choice. If you want to stick with Little Havana and Calle Ocho try Versailles (just like everyone else does). My two favorites are a little out of the way. Las Culebrinas is on Flagler St. near 42nd Avenue. It's a bit of a trek but really good. There's also Havana Harry's. It's a little fu-fu, but the food is very good. It's on LeJeuan Rd. near US-1. As for South Beach, Puerto Sagua and maybe David's Cafe would be my recs.