• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

aquacotta

Fai Jackson

I am making aquacotta, the Tuscan peasant soup. The ingredients are: cannelini beans, tomatoes, kale, savoy cabbage, onions, celery, toasts (for bottom of soup ) poached egg (topper) and parmesan cheese. Obviously very hearty. I am inclined to something big and not too refined. Suggestions please asap as I have to check the cellar or go to the wine store. TIA

The first thing that comes to mind for me is of course the 2004 "Peasant", by Four Vines, Paso Robles (Syrah, Mourvedre, Grenache, Counoise).

It's not available in Canada (yet), but a similiar blend would do very well. I tasted this blend recently . . . pleasantly rough-hewn, deep berry fruits, clove and cinnamon like tannins.

(By the way, their packaging is great--instead of labels the bottles are etched and painted. And everyone should have a black Four Vines "Zin Bitch" T-shirt! Even my 23-year-old son wears one.)

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

i've never had aquacotta, so i guess i don't speak from experience, but i'll take a different route here.

i don't see a "big" red working with these ingredients at all.what abouta tuscan white. trebbiano, maybe?

i always lean to sparkling wine with soup, the bubbles tend to offer a nice contrast to the soup. prosecco, or sparkling riesling would be my choice.

hey mcduff, what do you think?

hey mcduff, what do you think?

Well, ok, I'll throw in my two cents. And they'll fall somewhere between wkl's and the ideas from Rogov and RRose. I do think the white beans, bread, tomatoes and the overall heartiness of the dish can carry a red. I do agree with wkl, though, that when serving Tuscan food, why not serve Tuscan wine. I also don't think anything as big, juicy and alcoholic as Zin or a CA Rhône blend is necessary. I'd opt for a Chianti normale (not a Riserva), ideally from the Rufina or Colli Fiorentini districts and, of course, from a good grower.

I am making aquacotta, the Tuscan peasant soup.  The ingredients are: cannelini beans, tomatoes, kale, savoy cabbage, onions, celery, toasts (for bottom of soup ) poached egg (topper) and parmesan cheese.  Obviously very hearty.  I am inclined to something big and not too refined.  Suggestions please asap as I have to check the cellar or go to the wine store.  TIA

I love this soup!

I also believe that while a dry light to medium bodied red would work well--a chianti in this style would be fine.--you are correct to go for "rustic" as opposed to a polished glossy refined red.

However, I rarely drink red wines with soups. I find that most red wines when accompanying a hot liquid based dish often seem flabby. (slightly chilling the red can help.). Something about a warm liquid with a hot liquid. (even though this dish is very hardy it is still liquid based)

With rustic white beans and cabbage soups I go for a white wine and the refreshing qualities a cool aromatic white can offer.

I like aromatic whites in these instances. Staying in Tuscany, I believe a vermentino would be close to perfection.

One from the Bolgheri or Colli di Luni.

These are refreshing and aromatic with wonderful herbal, melon flavors and often a salty note (similar to that one encounters in a Manzanilla).

Speaking of Manzanilla--a dry sherry would be outstanding with this soup (and a bit daring)!!

Manzanilla or an oloroso (dry not sweet) would have the flavors to mate well with the dish.

I would also recommend a glass of white vermouth!

With this dish one can have fun and get creative with pairings!!!

Edited by JohnL (log)

I am making aquacotta, the Tuscan peasant soup.  The ingredients are: cannelini beans, tomatoes, kale, savoy cabbage, onions, celery, toasts (for bottom of soup ) poached egg (topper) and parmesan cheese.  Obviously very hearty.  I am inclined to something big and not too refined.  Suggestions please asap as I have to check the cellar or go to the wine store.  TIA

I love this soup!

I also believe that while a dry light to medium bodied red would work well--a chianti in this style would be fine.--you are correct to go for "rustic" as opposed to a polished glossy refined red.

However, I rarely drink red wines with soups. I find that most red wines when accompanying a hot liquid based dish often seem flabby. (slightly chilling the red can help.). Something about a warm liquid with a hot liquid. (even though this dish is very hardy it is still liquid based)

With rustic white beans and cabbage soups I go for a white wine and the refreshing qualities a cool aromatic white can offer.

I like aromatic whites in these instances. Staying in Tuscany, I believe a vermentino would be close to perfection.

One from the Bolgheri or Colli di Luni.

These are refreshing and aromatic with wonderful herbal, melon flavors and often a salty note (similar to that one encounters in a Manzanilla).

Speaking of Manzanilla--a dry sherry would be outstanding with this soup (and a bit daring)!!

Manzanilla or an oloroso (dry not sweet) would have the flavors to mate well with the dish.

I would also recommend a glass of white vermouth!

With this dish one can have fun and get creative with pairings!!!

Sherry is a really interesting idea, because it is the first thing I thought and then I thought nah, but I ended up giving my guests a choice between a 2001 Montepulciano -Terra D'Aligi and some dry sherry. I tried both and each had its own merits, but I actually liked the Sherry a smidgeon better. :smile:

Edited by Fai Jackson (log)