• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Latini or Toque?

orangewasabi

I am taking clients out for dinner in Montreal mid-October (6 people).

Torn between LeLatini and Toque! but I haven't been to either in a while.

Any thoughts?

LeLatini has my sentimental vote as the first place I ever had Puttenesca sauce (which turned into a love affair). And Toque!, well it's been flawless every time I've ever been.

The ziplock bag is for the Schwartz's I'll be hauling home

k!

I think the Latini is an excellent restaurant -- IF you're a regular customer with cash to burn. The owner, Moreno di Marchi, is someone who is extremely passionate and knowledgeable about Italian food. BUT unless you're a friend of the house, you might end up with indifferent service. Happened to me more than once and it just ruined everything.

Toqué! is a great restaurant, arguably the best in the city. A little cold, yes, but they have settled into their new space now. This time of year, I think the food is unbeatable. There are 18 chefs in the kitchen. When dinner is "on" at Toqué! it can be mind-blowingly special.

My vote: Toqué!

• 2 weeks later...